Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

59 minutes ago, Malik said:

People keep saying this, but the Lions never attempted to run the ball. Outside of the 2014 and 2019 the Lions never attempted to run the ball. Those 2 seasons were the only ones in his career where they were in the top HALF in rushing attempts. It's hard to have many 100 yard rushing performances when you're 31st in attempts. The Falcons are similar in that since 2012 they've rarely attempted to rush the ball.

Only once during Stafford's tenure in Detroit (2011) were the Lions in the top half of the NFL in yards per carry, and they finished in the bottom seven on seven occasions: 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Whether it be the below average running backs or underwhelming offensive line, we struggled to run the ball.

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Man, fans of other teams doing Stafford dirty in this thread. Dude had his best football ahead of him IMO

I've watched this guy take shots that put most on the sidelines and scramble into certain contact on the next play. The guy plays with injuries regularly, has a great arm, and is a fantastic person and teammate. I'll immediately be a huge fan of whatever team trades for him, and I'll enjoy that team's playoff run during the 2021-2022 season.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I've watched this guy take shots that put most on the sidelines and scramble into certain contact on the next play. The guy plays with injuries regularly, has a great arm, and is a fantastic person and teammate. I'll immediately be a huge fan of whatever team trades for him, and I'll enjoy that team's playoff run during the 2021-2022 season.

Always struck me as a high character guy, and his toughness is beyond question. I remember him leading a GWD against the Browns his rookie year with a dislocated left shoulder that meant his left arm was essentially hanging limp. It was very impressive (I think he missed the end of his rookie season because of that.)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Always struck me as a high character guy, and his toughness is beyond question. I remember him leading a GWD against the Browns his rookie year with a dislocated left shoulder that meant his left arm was essentially hanging limp. It was very impressive (I think he missed the end of his rookie season because of that.)

Not only that: he was injured and removed from the field the play before. He heard that the Browns took a timeout, knew that it meant he could return to the field, told the doctors to get off of him, stood up and told Coach Schwartz "I can throw the ball if you need me to throw the ball". He threw the game-winning TD to Pettigrew with a separated left shoulder. Smarts. Heart. Passion. Ability. The guy has it all.

2:08 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvIwyikbRU

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

What kind of compensation should the Lions expect back for Stafford? He will be 33 next season but I would think he has 4-5 good years left in him.

I'd guess that the offers would have to start with a 1st. Sill a great QB with two years left on a reasonable QB contract.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

5 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Matt Stafford has 74 career wins and has had to lead a come from behind gwd in 38 of those wins. Matt Stafford's 4 winning seasons in 12 years is equivalent to the combined total of every Lions Quarterback since 1989. Matt Stafford has had 11 100 yard tailback performances in his entire career and the first one didn't come until his 4th year.

He is a great QB held down by a DISASTER of a franchise. 

They’re going to be the Jets next year. Completely bottom out.

35 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

What kind of compensation should the Lions expect back for Stafford? He will be 33 next season but I would think he has 4-5 good years left in him.

I'd guess 1st round pick a 3rd and 2nd or 3rd next year that will probably be conditional if they make playoffs or something.

Edited by 49erurtaza