Detroit Lions and Matthew Stafford expected to part ways

Lionized

30 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

What do you guys think this means for Golladay?

I don't think they resign him. Maybe tag and trade but I really think they let him go and take the 3rd round comp pick in 2022. He's a really good player but he isn't Deandre Hopkins. If he wants $18M+ we just aren't going to get a good ROI. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

I hope your wrong, I wasn’t impressed with him. He reminds of Haskins great college qb but a guy who can’t lead a franchise. 

also man I wish we put a claim in on josh Rosen. Let him get some reps during the off season. See what he has give him a chance 

I’m not sold on Fields either.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't think they resign him. Maybe tag and trade but I really think they let him go and take the 3rd round comp pick in 2022. He's a really good player but he isn't Deandre Hopkins. If he wants $18M+ we just aren't going to get a good ROI. 

This is what I think as well.  Maybe we package him and Stafford in a deal for the Jets number 2 overall pick.

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m not sold on Fields either.

I think Fields is an amazing Talent.  TALENT.  But I’m worried for a skill level.  Front the little that i’ve watched he seems slow to process and locks onto his first read.  That makes me worried, but if you think you can develope him like Josh Allen than he’s appealing.

6 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I think Fields is an amazing Talent.  TALENT.  But I’m worried for a skill level.  Front the little that i’ve watched he seems slow to process and locks onto his first read.  That makes me worried, but if you think you can develope him like Josh Allen than he’s appealing.

Also, while he does have good arm talent, it takes him some time to deliver the ball.. I am not a fan of his throwing motion in the slightest. 

22 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

Also, while he does have good arm talent, it takes him some time to deliver the ball.. I am not a fan of his throwing motion in the slightest. 

He’s a slow processor and i’m Not a fan of him throwing motion either.  Those things really worry me.  For some reason there is no “urgency” with him.  I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not but he doesn’t seem to play fast.  He seems to wait until his receiver is open to throw it and that won’t work in the NFL.  At 7 he’s worth the gamble but not if we are trading up for him.

22 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

Would anyone be down if we trade Stafford, Golladay, and 2 1st round picks to Jax for the number 1 overall pick?  Do you think they would do it?

I don't think they'd do it. You're getting the next Peyton/Luck/Mahomes on a rookie deal for the next four years. They have cap room to add several high end pieces. What would be the point? 

The Colts went with Rivers for a reason. Stafford is a younger and better version of that stabilizing vet QB. Their team is better positioned for that guy than the Jags. 

19 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've got to say you are a very classy bunch of fans.  It's refreshing to come into a thread like this and see a player's fans wishing him well, rather than seeing them badmouthing him and trying to say they are happy to see him go.  I hope the Lions give you some greatness to cheer for in the near future. 

One question for you would be if there is any possibility Stafford is traded in-division to Chicago?  He could do great things down there with 'da Bears.

The guy has always laid everything on the line for this team. Love him.

I would absolutely hate to see him go to Chicago, unless: 1) they vowed to do everything in their power to make a run right now, and 2) that's where he wanted to go.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

What do you guys think this means for Golladay?

I would tag him. Whether you've got a rookie or a vet, it's a new guy in a new system and someone with golladay's size and talent could really help. Then you've got a year to decide if he works with what you're building going forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Would anyone be down if we trade Stafford, Golladay, and 2 1st round picks to Jax for the number 1 overall pick?  Do you think they would do it?

Both of these posts suggesting using Stafford to move up are intriguing. But I don't see it. You've got rebuilding franchises who are excited about getting top young QB talent about to come in for low money. I don’t think they give that up to get a 33 yr old veteran. And Jacksonville most certainly won't do it - I'm sure that starting off with Lawrence was a top factor in hiring Meyer in the first place.