Detroit Lions and Matthew Stafford expected to part ways

Lionized

I'll miss Stafford, and I hope that he does well somewhere else, but this was the right move. 

He's still a good QB, but if he wanted out now, there's no guarantee that we would be able to keep him when his contract is up in two years. Let him go, get some value back in a draft class where we only have five picks, and build for the future. 

3 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

Spitballing what about Denver’s 1st this yr 2nd next year and drew lock 4 stafford? 

In a heartbeat. 

Top 10 pick + 2nd + young, toolsy QB to develop. Worst case scenario you drop him at the end of his rookie deal. Best case scenario he gets developed into a competent starter. Mix in a veteran guy and it wouldn't be a huge drop off in the overall QB room. 

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

In a heartbeat. 

Top 10 pick + 2nd + young, toolsy QB to develop. Worst case scenario you drop him at the end of his rookie deal. Best case scenario he gets developed into a competent starter. Mix in a veteran guy and it wouldn't be a huge drop off in the overall QB room. 

My guess is that maybe the best offer, unless Indy offers 2 first round picks. 

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

My guess is that maybe the best offer, unless Indy offers 2 first round picks. 

For Indy, I think this would make a ton of sense:

• 2021 1st (21st Overall)
  • 2021 3rd
  • 2022 1st

Maybe they would hold onto Eason but I'd consider throwing him into the mix too. 

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

For Indy, I think this would make a ton of sense:

• 2021 1st (21st Overall)
  • 2021 3rd
  • 2022 1st

Maybe they would hold onto Eason but I'd consider throwing him into the mix too. 

I would be all about this.  However if there is a bidding war, this could push SF or Den to offer more. I think if Indy offered that, we could get 12, 3rd and 2021 2nd from SF, and I would rather have 12 than 21 this year. 

12 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would be all about this.  However if there is a bidding war, this could push SF or Den to offer more. I think if Indy offered that, we could get 12, 3rd and 2021 2nd from SF, and I would rather have 12 than 21 this year. 

I would too but I wonder if SF is wiling to pay a similar price for Deshaun. If they could get him for an extra 1st and then trade Jimmy G to recover some of their lost draft capital, that would make more sense to me if I'm the 49ers. 

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I would too but I wonder if SF is wiling to pay a similar price for Deshaun. If they could get him for an extra 1st and then trade Jimmy G to recover some of their lost draft capital, that would make more sense to me if I'm the 49ers. 

Deshaun is likely going to cost 3 1sts.  And Jimmy likely wont bring back much more than a mid/late round pick with his cap hit.  Stafford would be significantly cheaper.  

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Deshaun is likely going to cost 3 1sts.  And Jimmy likely wont bring back much more than a mid/late round pick with his cap hit.  Stafford would be significantly cheaper.  

Sure.. but:

3x1sts + for Deshaun (25 years old)

2x1sts + for Stafford (33 years old)

7-8 extra years is worth that premium. 

If they trade Jimmy G to NE for a 4th/5th, it's at least SOMETHING that lessens the overall damage. 

33 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Sure.. but:

3x1sts + for Deshaun (25 years old)

2x1sts + for Stafford (33 years old)

7-8 extra years is worth that premium. 

If they trade Jimmy G to NE for a 4th/5th, it's at least SOMETHING that lessens the overall damage. 

It will take 3 1sts or more from a team like us, that has potential to be top picks. 3 1sts from the niners might get it given they have a top 12 pick but even then I'd be skeptical.  Indy wont get Watson because they wont trade him in the division especially for late 1sts.  I truly only see Watson getting moved if the Jags, Jets or maybe the Falcons want him and offer up their top pick.  Maybe Miami as well if they offer a top pick and Tua +.  

But even if SF can get Watson for 3 1sts, they would be getting Stafford for a 1st, 3rd this and a 2nd next.  That is significantly cheaper, and should be.