Detroit Lions and Matthew Stafford expected to part ways

Lionized

42 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

If they don’t find a good enough trade, absolutely. 

I don't see that happening at all. Matthew wants out and they'll grant that to him. They won't release him but I'm not sure we're going to wind up with the 2x1sts like some have talked about. 1st and 3rd seems the most plausible although I'd gladly take more. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I don't see that happening at all. Matthew wants out and they'll grant that to him. They won't release him but I'm not sure we're going to wind up with the 2x1sts like some have talked about. 1st and 3rd seems the most plausible although I'd gladly take more. 

If they get s 1st+, he gets moved. If teams don't offer fair compensation, he'll still be a Lion. I'm sure Stafford doesn't want to go through another rebuild, but the team is going to only do a trade that is fair to both parties (Lions/Stafford).

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

So the source isn't something that I would put all the faith in the world in, but fwiw

With Watson officially declaring his desire for a trade, I can't imagine that the Niners would be THIS close to trading for Stafford. It could happen but a wildcard was just officially placed on the table. It might be pricey but that would be a huge upgrade over Jimmy G. 

With Watson officially declaring his desire for a trade, I can't imagine that the Niners would be THIS close to trading for Stafford. It could happen but a wildcard was just officially placed on the table. It might be pricey but that would be a huge upgrade over Jimmy G. 

They have no shot at Watson. They can't compete in terms of compensation without putting someone like Bosa on the table. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

They have no shot at Watson. They can't compete in terms of compensation without putting someone like Bosa on the table. 

You don't think so?

• 2021 1st (#12)
  • 2022 1st
  • 2023 1st

It's not quite the same as the Jets or Dolphins level of compensation but Deshaun also will have his say in where he does go. Being moved away from the AFC to a NFC team might help. 

You don't think so?

• 2021 1st (#12)
  • 2022 1st
  • 2023 1st

It's not quite the same as the Jets or Dolphins level of compensation but Deshaun also will have his say in where he does go. Being moved away from the AFC to a NFC team might help. 

Not unless Miami / Jets are completely out, and I don't think that they are. I also don't think that three first round picks alone are enough to get it done (especially given how late you can largely project them to be). If the Jets /  Dolphins are out (which I doubt), then we could have a shot, but otherwise we have to include Bosa or something like that. I also am not sure what Shanny's appetite is on Watson as a match, and I think Stafford is very much the type of QB he'd want. And while this team has been very aggressive in getting what they want, they are aggressive in moderate spots. We get beat out in the Khalil Mack type trades, but take the Dee Ford / Jimmy G type trades for second round picks. 

Honestly, I think the market for Watson and Stafford only overlaps a little bit. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not unless Miami / Jets are completely out, and I don't think that they are. I also don't think that three first round picks alone are enough to get it done (especially given how late you can largely project them to be). If the Jets /  Dolphins are out (which I doubt), then we could have a shot, but otherwise we have to include Bosa or something like that. I also am not sure what Shanny's appetite is on Watson as a match, and I think Stafford is very much the type of QB he'd want. And while this team has been very aggressive in getting what they want, they are aggressive in moderate spots. We get beat out in the Khalil Mack type trades, but take the Dee Ford / Jimmy G type trades for second round picks. 

Honestly, I think the market for Watson and Stafford only overlaps a little bit. 

Really interesting. I know we'd be glad to take #12. I just would be shocked to see us get something that high. 

I'd be really upset if we didn't wind up with a 1st round pick this year and/or just in general.