Lions and Stafford agree to part ways, traded to Rams

Wyld Stallyns

Long suffering Lions fan. I love Stafford and he is really underrated as a QB because the organization could not build a team around him. It was really a Crap-tini with one part bad timing - being bad for a long time in the pre-rookie wage cap era and one part organizational ineptitude (coaching carousel and poor player selection). 

The Colts have been my preferred destination for Matthew since before Patricia was fired. The writing was on the wall and I did not expect him to come back for yet another rebuild. You guys have the defense, the running game, some offensive weapons with cap space to add others (I could see KG reuniting with Stafford or maybe Allen Robinson), you're in a dome for 8 home games, 11/16 games will be played in either indoor or warm weather conditions (not Green Bay or Chicago in December), and the division is in transition (Texans will be in a rebuild, Jaguars are starting a rebuild). 

I love the fit and think you guys will too. 

For anyone that is looking at jerseys, my guess is that he'll switch to #7. That's the number he wore at Georgia but is retired by the Lions (hence the #9). Jake Brisket seems on his way out and he has been rocking the #7, so it will conveniently be available. Jacob 'Stafford Jr.' Eason is wearing #9. After 12 years it is possible he has developed an affinity for it but I think he'll look at it as new team, new number. Start fresh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Long suffering Lions fan. I love Stafford and he is really underrated as a QB because the organization could not build a team around him. It was really a Crap-tini with one part bad timing - being bad for a long time in the pre-rookie wage cap era and one part organizational ineptitude (coaching carousel and poor player selection). 

The Colts have been my preferred destination for Matthew since before Patricia was fired. The writing was on the wall and I did not expect him to come back for yet another rebuild. You guys have the defense, the running game, some offensive weapons with cap space to add others (I could see KG reuniting with Stafford or maybe Allen Robinson), you're in a dome for 8 home games, 11/16 games will be played in either indoor or warm weather conditions (not Green Bay or Chicago in December), and the division is in transition (Texans will be in a rebuild, Jaguars are starting a rebuild). 

I love the fit and think you guys will too. 

For anyone that is looking at jerseys, my guess is that he'll switch to #7. That's the number he wore at Georgia but is retired by the Lions (hence the #9). Jake Brisket seems on his way out and he has been rocking the #7, so it will conveniently be available. Jacob 'Stafford Jr.' Eason is wearing #9. After 12 years it is possible he has developed an affinity for it but I think he'll look at it as new team, new number. Start fresh. 

I don’t think Stafford would have to twist Eason’s arm very far to get him to switch his #. Not only because of both having spent time at Georgia but there is also a photo out there of the two of them together with hats turned backwards, so they have a familiarity with each other. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I don’t think Stafford would have to twist Eason’s arm very far to get him to switch his #. Not only because of both having spent time at Georgia but there is also a photo out there of the two of them together with hats turned backwards, so they have a familiarity with each other. 

I just don't think Stafford would choose to wear #9. If it was readily available, maybe he'd consider it. New team, new(ish) number. He would have been wearing #7 for the past 12 years if he was allowed to. It's all speculation anyway.

I had not seen that photo before but it seems like the two are chummy. Another reason that Indy could be the place for John Matthew Stafford. 

9 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Also, if he does come to Indy you guys will wind up with a major chunk of the Lions fanbase jumping on your bandwagon, myself included. 

Always loved Peyton and Luck but it would be a whole other level to be able to cheer on someone who has been my favourite/one of my favourite players for the past 12 years. I feel like there's many other Lions fans who would feel the same. I'm not even a jersey guy and would buy a Stafford Colts jersey. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Also, if he does come to Indy you guys will wind up with a major chunk of the Lions fanbase jumping on your bandwagon, myself included. 

Always loved Peyton and Luck but it would be a whole other level to be able to cheer on someone who has been my favourite/one of my favourite players for the past 12 years. I feel like there's many other Lions fans who would feel the same. I'm not even a jersey guy and would buy a Stafford Colts jersey. 

Colts fans can relate, especially being part time Broncos fans when Manning went there.

The best part for us was that a lot of people who weren’t really Colts fans jumped ship when Manning left. (Not saying this is going to happen for you guys but it’s definitely a loyalty test for some fan bases) 

3 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Would you guys give up a couple 1sts for Rodgers?   I hate the guy,  but he has 3 years left on his contract,  is still playing at a top level, and  you have the cap space.   Make a run at it for 2-3 years.    Colts just seem set if a legit QB is added. 

I would and I know a lot of Colts fans on Twitter who started throwing it out there when Jordan Love got drafted. I just don’t think Rodgers is going to be available until next year at the earliest. 

A  Mahomes type trade would land the Colts a move from #21 to #7 (#21, #84 and 2022 1st) which could put us in line to draft one of the top 4 QBs. There has been some speculation that the Colts have Justin Fields graded as their top QB and in some mock drafts he’s fallen behind Zach Wilson and potentially out of the top 5. 

If I were the Colts, I'd be trying to get Goff super cheap. You guys have a great OL and deep threats, and we saw what Goff could do with that. Also have the cap to take his contract until you restructure it. 

I'll never leave the Rams, but man Goff on your team would be tempting. 

15 hours ago, JonStark said:

If I were the Colts, I'd be trying to get Goff super cheap. You guys have a great OL and deep threats, and we saw what Goff could do with that. Also have the cap to take his contract until you restructure it. 

I'll never leave the Rams, but man Goff on your team would be tempting. 

I think it's an option definitely. It would depend on factors of course such as what Detroit would actually want for him, and it is a big contract to take on but Frank Reich had success with Carson Wentz in Philly so maybe he feels he could do the same with Goff. 

Obviously we could draft a QB but in our position it feels the better options would be gone, even Mac Jones might have gone to the Pats by then as most seem to think therefore we'd potentially have to move up which would cost picks, but so would Goff.

Right now it feels like our options are Goff, draft, or another QB like Darnold if the Jets decided to move on. Hopefully we weren't dependent on Stafford coming as that's obviously not an option anymore. 

• Like 1