Lions & Stafford part ways

beardown3231

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Trash for the Bears.

Another top 10 team that will be looking hard at QBs.

You mean Trask? Lol

Well it looks like if Bears want their guy then they'll have to trade up with either Atlanta or Philly which is possible since both teams are cap strapped and way over the cap and could use some extra picks.

Another option for Bears  if Jets trade for Watson is getting Darnold unless he's part of the deal going back to Houston...

24 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You mean Trask? Lol

Well it looks like if Bears want their guy then they'll have to trade up with either Atlanta or Philly which is possible since both teams are cap strapped and way over the cap and could use some extra picks.

Another option for Bears  if Jets trade for Watson is getting Darnold unless he's part of the deal going back to Houston...

We are in the passenger seat of the QB carousel.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Trash for the Bears.

Another top 10 team that will be looking hard at QBs.

Yeah, you can't whitewash the damage it does to the Bears' quest. 

Although I'm sure @CWood21will claim this report is just more clickbait by the football media. 

2 hours ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

... Donovan McNabb ............ Bears better inquire about this. I love Stafford

The Lions would never trade Stafford to the Bears. Unless it was for all their first round picks for the next twenty years...

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Darnold is enticing. But he can't be seen as a solution. Just an option. 

We are in the passenger seat of the QB carousel.

Maybe.

We have a lot to offer teams in terms of young talent, though. We can all badmouth Pace 'til the cows come home, but the Bears DO have that. 

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Although I'm sure @CWood21will claim this report is just more clickbait by the football media. 

You missed the ENTIRETY of my post.  That post wasn't about Matthew Stafford, someone who has been rumored as a potential trade target for years.  My issue was with the notion that guys like Kirk Cousins and Matt Ryan who have monstrous dead cap hits if their respective teams traded.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, you can't whitewash the damage it does to the Bears' quest. 

The Lions would never trade Stafford to the Bears. Unless it was for all their first round picks for the next twenty years...

Darnold is enticing. But he can't be seen as a solution. Just an option. 

Maybe.

We have a lot to offer teams in terms of young talent, though. We can all badmouth Pace 'til the cows come home, but the Bears DO have that. 

Do we really? Johnson and Roquan were both injured. We got nothing on offense that wouldn’t set us back.

I am not sure we have the young trade chips you think we do.

That and teams mostly want picks.

Monty, Mooney, Jaylon, Kmet, Fuller, Whitehair, Daniels, Mustipher, Cohen, Quan, Jackson, Nichols, Goldman

All 28 or younger. 

We do have alot of young talent but I'm not sure that's the right direction to go either because we're pretty thin at all of those positions. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I could see Pace standing pat and only try to move up a few spots IF there's a QB him and Nagy really like. I would be surprised to them move into the top 10. If their guy is gone by 15ish then I think they roll with Foles and a vet. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You missed the ENTIRETY of my post.  That post wasn't about Matthew Stafford, someone who has been rumored as a potential trade target for years.  

He has? News to me.

Do we really? Johnson and Roquan were both injured. We got nothing on offense that wouldn’t set us back.

I am not sure we have the young trade chips you think we do.

It doesn't matter if Johnson and Roquan were injured. Players get injured. Anyway, if Pace trades Roquan, he's even dumber than I thought he was.

As to the bolded--are you truly now taking the flip-floppy approach to this issue that others here are? Something needs to be done. If they have to trade Whitehair to do it, then it is what it is.

Also, I'm positive we have the "young trade chips" to make a move. 

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

We do have alot of young talent but I'm not sure that's the right direction to go either because we're pretty thin at all of those positions. 

Then...what do you do? 

You can hope Trask falls to #20. Is that the best course of action? And, what if he doesn't? 

Just roll with Foles, wait until next year to address the problem? You think that's wise? 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:
1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Then...what do you do? 

You can hope Trask falls to #20. Is that the best course of action? And, what if he doesn't? 

Just roll with Foles, wait until next year to address the problem? You think that's wise? 

Yes.  I've explained this approach numerous times on here. 

If a guy falls that Nagy likes (it's going to be his decision) then take him and role with a rookie QB/Foles.  If he doesn't fall then go OT and take a flier on a QB in later rounds and roll with a vet/Foles/rookie. 

If Nagy picks the wrong QB then we're picking top-10 next year and both Pace and Nagy are gone. Let the next regime decide what to do with Nagy's QB--either develop him as a backup or ship for a 2nd or 3rd round pick like Kiem did with Rosen. 

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

per Tom Pelissero

My money's on Indianapolis

Agreed it almost seems to obvious that he will end up in Indy...

I've always though Stafford was a really good player on a really bad team...put him with more talent and he could led a team deep into the playoffs...no way I see Detroit sending him here...still hoping for Minshew at this point.  

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If Nagy picks the wrong QB then we're picking top-10 next year and both Pace and Nagy are gone. Let the next regime decide what to do with Nagy's QB--either develop him as a backup or ship for a 2nd or 3rd round pick like Kiem did with Rosen. 

I'd be fine with rolling with two first round picks in back to back seasons. Let them fight it out. That at worst means you have a young (hopefully talented back up) for under $4 mil most likely per year. Two rookie deals would be a small percent to use at the position as a whole, and maybe he warrants trade value later too. Either way, I'm fine with drafting a 1st round QB every 2-3 years until we finally get it right. Don't pay big money for mediocre production any more.

• Like 1