Free agents

WizardHawk

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31037927/simulating-nfl-free-agency-2021-signs-where-why-patriots-big-winners%3fplatform=amp 

An interesting thing in this free agency simulation ESPN ran:

Todd Archer was in charge for the Cowboys, and he tends to be really plugged in on the Cowboys thinking on contract/salary cap stuff. He had the Dak contract nailed to the dollar.

In this, he offered Anthony Harris 4 years, $44M and John Johnson 3 years, $33M.

We’ll see if Archer has any info from the Cowboys on their FA intentions, but that $11M/year on both players seems like an odd number for a best writer to pull out of nowhere. 

34 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31037927/simulating-nfl-free-agency-2021-signs-where-why-patriots-big-winners%3fplatform=amp 

An interesting thing in this free agency simulation ESPN ran:

Todd Archer was in charge for the Cowboys, and he tends to be really plugged in on the Cowboys thinking on contract/salary cap stuff. He had the Dak contract nailed to the dollar.

In this, he offered Anthony Harris 4 years, $44M and John Johnson 3 years, $33M.

We’ll see if Archer has any info from the Cowboys on their FA intentions, but that $11M/year on both players seems like an odd number for a best writer to pull out of nowhere. 

John johnson would not suck. 

13 hours ago, textaz03 said:

That’s a bold move there Cotton! 

idk why he would do such a thing with that QB situation 

He is at the backend of his career. They likely offered him the most money and playing time. So at this point you take it.

Just now, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree. Brown is the kind of “good” signing we’ve made in the past. Affordable, prevents you from forcing something in the draft. Tomlinson, on the other hand, locks down you 1T for the long haul.

Either one makes a lot of sense.

Investing in that position for the long term is a smart move, in my opinion. Both guys are only 27, so locking them up on a 5 year deal (if possible, based on this year's crazy cap situation) is a good move. Otherwise, put them on a shorter, voidable deal and readjust/extend the contract once the cap bumps back up next year.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Investing in that position for the long term is a smart move, in my opinion. Both guys are only 27, so locking them up on a 5 year deal (if possible, based on this year's crazy cap situation) is a good move. Otherwise, put them on a shorter, voidable deal and readjust/extend the contract once the cap bumps back up next year.

For some reason I had it in my head that Brown was in his 30s. Oops.

I’ll sign either one to a multi-year contract.

Agreed with above. We need to lockdown the DL especially the NT position. I would be happy with either Brown or Tomlinson to a 3 year contract. By age 31, we should have drafted their replacement or looking for another young FA NT. 

I don't think we would be very happy with Vacarro. While a upgrade on what we have he struggled a lot last year.  

I am a little confused about one thing though. Cowboy.com says we have about 17M in cap space.  Another site says it will take 10M in cap money to sign all our draft pics...   that means 7M is left... so how do we sign a guy to 3-33M contract??    

Personally I see us waiting to see what we really need after the draft then go bargain basement to try and fill the holes, like McCoy again who is already on the books for 2 M.   I think another prove it deal wouldn't really cost us any cap money this year it would just be passed down the line.

2 hours ago, quiller said:

I don't think we would be very happy with Vacarro. While a upgrade on what we have he struggled a lot last year.  

I am a little confused about one thing though. Cowboy.com says we have about 17M in cap space.  Another site says it will take 10M in cap money to sign all our draft pics...   that means 7M is left... so how do we sign a guy to 3-33M contract??    

Personally I see us waiting to see what we really need after the draft then go bargain basement to try and fill the holes, like McCoy again who is already on the books for 2 M.   I think another prove it deal wouldn't really cost us any cap money this year it would just be passed down the line.

Over The Cap lists us at $19.6M under the cap. Signing a guy a 3-$33M doesn't mean that his 2021 cap hit would be >$11M. Depending on the base salary, signing bonus, and other guaranteed money, the cap charge could be substantially lower. Guaranteed money doesn't spread over the life of the contract like a signing bonus does. It counts against the cap on a specific date, so contracts which are heavily backloaded are often extended to lessen the cap hit in the later years.

For example, if a player signs a 3-year, $33M contract with a $15M signing bonus, $12M in additional guarantees (to hit in years 2 and 3), and base salaries of $1M, $2M, and $3M respectively, his 2021 cap charge would be $6M; the $1M base salary plus $5M signing bonus.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Over The Cap lists us at $19.6M under the cap. Signing a guy a 3-$33M doesn't mean that his 2021 cap hit would be >$11M. Depending on the base salary, signing bonus, and other guaranteed money, the cap charge could be substantially lower. Guaranteed money doesn't spread over the life of the contract like a signing bonus does. It counts against the cap on a specific date, so contracts which are heavily backloaded are often extended to lessen the cap hit in the later years.

For example, if a player signs a 3-year, $33M contract with a $15M signing bonus, $12M in additional guarantees (to hit in years 2 and 3), and base salaries of $1M, $2M, and $3M respectively, his 2021 cap charge would be $6M; the $1M base salary plus $5M signing bonus.

Thank you...  hopefully the 19.6 is closer then the 17 I saw...   that means we've got about 10 M to spend..  I could see one signing much like the 3-33 you broke down before draft is about it.  

IS there a safety out there that we can get at this kind salary who is good enough ??

22 minutes ago, quiller said:

Thank you...  hopefully the 19.6 is closer then the 17 I saw...   that means we've got about 10 M to spend..  I could see one signing much like the 3-33 you broke down before draft is about it.  

IS there a safety out there that we can get at this kind salary who is good enough ??

There will be a few Safeties worth the money, but that's not the issue. The issue is that our front office doesn't do anything other than dumpster diving in free agency.