A quick beakdown of roster to create discussion:

whodatworm23

I decided to give a quick assessment of each position on the roster moving forward to create a topic of discussion for us. Let me know what you think, agree or disagree with and why. What would ypu like to see or what you would like to see go.

1. Quarterback:

So Brees will be gone, God bless him and thanks for the memories. Moving on, Taysom Hill is the only sure bet to be on the roster in 2021 and while he proved in 2020 that he is capable of wining games for you in a pinch, I think he also proved that he's not the guy you want to be betting the house on as your future franchise quarterback. Hill is a fine football player and dynamic athlete and quality backup QB but a NFL franchise guy he is not.

Jameis Winston is a logical option to return to the Saints in FA under a short term prove it deal to compete with Hill for the starting job in 2021. Winston, a former #1 overall pick possesses the physical talent to be a franchise QB in this league but like many before him has failed to grasp the mental aspects of the game to this point in his career. The last time Winston was a starter he threw a league leading 30 INTs and played alot of bad football. If Winston was to return in 2021 and win the starting job he would do so under a very short leach by Payton. Its highly likely that 2021 could turnout to be a trial run season at the QB position between these two with both players starting multipule games. In the end, I'm a firm believer that if you have 2 quarterbacks then you don't have one and I highly doubt the Saints long-term future starting QB is currently on the roster.

Let's be honest... Hill and Winston are basically the best of what the Saints can do in 2021. Thier cap situation has them strapped, no way can they peruse veterans such as Deshaun Watson, Matt Stafford or Dak Prescott all of whom would be WAY better options then what they have.

No, no... Hill and Winston are what they are. The best of a bad situation. I doubt the Saints will want to be forced into drafting a QB especially with the 28th pick so I expect Loomis and Payton to focus on fixing their cap issues, filling the gaps through the draft and holding off on the QB position for the time being and reevaluate next offseason. This front office and coaching staff are fully aware that most Saints fans understand their will be a dropoff post Drew Brees so there playing with house money in 2021, no need to rush things.

2. Running back:

It all starts and ends with Alvin Kamara here... I mean let's face it, the dude was being considered at one point a potential MVP candidate in 2020. Fresh off a fat new contract, Kamara delivered and his multi-dimensional versatility will be a game changer for the Saints for years to come.

After Kamara is the issue... Murray is a solid back but very likley to be a cap casualty. Everyone behind him is basically special teamers. Look for the Saints to be active in the draft in search of a young fresh pair of legs to pair with Kamara moving forward.

I expect the Saints to resign FB Michael Burton this offseason.

3. Wide Reviever:

Michael Thomas is a stud and isnt going anywhere. There, enough of that now moving on... This position isnt as in dire need as many might make it out to be. Emanuel Sannders is a solid #2 and while many feel he might be a cap casualty its very likley hes retained on a restructured deal.

Tre'Quan Smith actually startered to show some promise toward the end of the season and the coaching staff is rumored to be extremly high on Marquez Callaway and his potential. Still this group leaves many to wanting a more explosive element and are calling for the Saints to make that a high priority in the draft this year.

I disagree...

Anyone whose watched the Saints down the stretch realize that element is already on the team, this coaching staff just needs to find a way to get Deante Harris more involved in the game plan at the position.

Now dont get me wrong... Thier is still a need here and I expect the Saints to draft a receiver this year. I just dont see it as a very high priority especially for a team trying to fill in gaps on a budget.

4. Tight ends:

If I never see Jared Cook again it will be too soon!

Having said that, Adam Troutman appears to be a fine young prospect with a ton of potential but im not sure if hes ready to be the full time starter. Veteran Josh Hill will help in this transition but the Saints will likley look for another young prospect to add to the group.

5. Offensive line:

Mark my words... A shake up is coming!

First off, the Saints have arguably the best tackle tandem in the NFL when healthy. Look for BOTH Armstead and Ramczyk to get thier contracts extended this offseason as well as the Saints making swing tackle James Hurst a priority must have in free agency. Hurst played solid football when called apon this season and provides depth on the interior as well that the Saints will need next season.

The shakeup I spoke off will come on the interior... Say what you will about Andrus Peat but the Saints value his run blocking and ability to kick out to left tackle when needed, that combined with his contract has him entrenched at the LG spot. Nick Eason and his 3 concussions and 5 milliom in cap savings will be a cap casualty this offseason which will lead the Saints to finally kick Eric McCoy out to RG and insert 2020 1st round pick Cesar Ruiz in as the starting center. Rumor has it that Drew Brees nixed this switch last season because he did not want to have to go through his final year working under a new center, all you former QBs will understand this. This will give the Saints their best starting 5+1 lineup which will be a strength to the frachise moving forward. Still reinforcements will be needed in reserve roles and I expect the Saints to either draft or focus on the undrafted rookie market for hidden gems to develop behind this stout front.

6. Kicker:

Will Lutz will return, he battled a strain groin down the stretch but hes still a top PK in the NFC.

7. Defensive Line:

Trey Hendrickson, Wow what a season! 13.5 sacks and was a terror off the edge even beyond those sack numbers. Clearly the Saints top edge rusher this past season. Great job, God bless him.

Now let me explain why he won't be back in 2021...

Simply stated, Hendrickson has played himself off the Saints roster. We all knew that eventually kicking the can down the road with the salary cap and trying to remain competitive during Drews final years was eventually gonna cost us. The player it usually ends up costing is always the guy that even managment does not expect to suddenly become an impact player.

Fact is Hendrickson was not expected to breakout this year, truth be told the Saints organization would have perfered it be Marcus Davenport who they have more invested in and have on the hook for another season under contract. Take nothing away from Hendrickson though, surley the Saints would LOVE to keep him but your looking at a guy who on the open market could land a deal similar to the 14 million anual that Robert Quinn got from the Bears last season. Even in what is likley to be a saturated FA pool with a lower salary cap, Hendrickson will be a prime FA as young quality edge rushers with size and excellent offfield character don't normally hit free agency. I expect Hendrickson to be the beneficiary of a bidding war this offseason, one the Saints simply cannot afford to be part off.

Another big reason for this is that the Saints already have thier big money edge player in Cam Jordan despite the fact that he did not play like it this season. It will be intresting to see how the Saints handle Jordan this offseason because while his contract is ideally one that could be restructured to help save cap space, with Jordan showing signs of age this year it might give the front office pause here.

Then their is Marcus Davenport... Two 1st round draft picks invested. 2021 is time for him to put it all together or find himself looking for work in 2022.

The real reason though for the Saints comfortably not breaking the bank on Henndrickson is 3 fold...

1. Money

2. Ryan Nielson coming back

3. Carl Granderson

Once again, the Saints simply dont have the money to retain everybody. Second, the return of Ryan Nielson gives the Saints comfort that the players they do have on thier roster will continue thier development. Lastly, the Saints have a talented young prospect waiting in the wings that just might be better than Hendrickson.

Carl Granderson is a very underrated player on the Saints roster who also pitched in 5 sacks in 2020 in limited snaps along with applying presaure off the edge. Granderson has the physical traits to be a big time player in this league and the Saints have him on the cheap for at least another two years.

On the interior, David Onyenmata has quietly developed into the player the Saints thought they were getting when they drafted Sheldon Rankins 12th overall. Onyenmata is a beast inside which is why the Sainta locked him up last offseason. Rankins on the other hand will likley find greener pastures in FA as he never could kick the injury bug despite showing flashes at times. He'll be another cap casualty that the Saints just can't take the chance on. Malcolm Brown has been a soild NT but at only playing 30% of the defensive snaps, his 5 miillion dollar savings will be much more valuable to the Saints this offseason. The Saints have some young prospects here in Tuttle and Roach and could invest some draft capitol here as well especially with Nielson still onboard.

8. Linebackers:

Demario Davis is one of the best MIKE backers in the NFL and the Saints were able to extend him this season. Knon Alexander made a huge impact on this defense when he arrived via trade and despite the injury and 14 million dollar cap hit, I believe he and the Saints will come to an agreement on new deal much like Janoris Jenkins and the Saints did laat year for the two parties to remain together. Alex Anzolne has played his final snap with the Saints and he'll be replaced by last years 3rd round pick Zach Baun. This unit still needs more youth and athleticism so look for it to be a draft priority this offseason.

9. Secondary:

Remember when I said the Saints won't be able to pay everyone regarding Trey Hendrickson? Here's what I was speaking on.

The Saints will without a doubt extend the contracts of both Ryan Ramczyk and Mashon Lattimore this offseason to huge deals. After doing so they will have to choose between Hendrickson and FS Marcus Williams and from everything I have heard and read, the Saints have Williams as thier #1 priority to retain this offseason. They love the player Williams is and what he provides the defense as the last line of defense and ball hawk of the secondary. With Davenport and Granderson to take up the slack of losing Hendrickson. The Saints will then look to retain their main two core secondary members in Lattimore and Williams long-term.

After that I expect like with Kown Alexander, the Saints will once again work on a restructured deal to bring back Jack Rabbit for one more year as the starter opposite Lattimore but every corner on the roster after that could be in trouble. P-Rob will be a cap casualty while PJ simply likley will not be retained. This to me will make corner the Saints top draft priority this offseason.

Malcolm Jenkins will be back in 2021 at SS while chatter box CGJ will round out the 3 safety set.

10. Punter:

After Drew Brees retires, Thomas Moorestead will be the only remaining player left from the 2009 Superbowl Champion team (Malcolm Jenkins exception) but sadly that story ends this offseason as well. A cap strapped team simply cannot afford to keep a punter at Moorsteads age and cap figure and justify it. There is a chance that Moorestead retires along with Brees, there have been rumors. Moorstead and his family is entrenched within the New Orleans community and he could look to other oppertunities outside of football.

The Saints however are prepared for this... Former Penn State standout Blake Gillikin who the Saints staff are rumored to be extremly high on is already on the roster. The Saints kept Gillikin on the 53 man roster along with Moorstead at one point last season in order not to lose him to another team and then later stashed him on the IR list to end the year. Gillikin will in all likleyhood become the Saints starting punter in 2021.

WHODAT

Largely overshadowed by Brees age and declining problems was Morestead.  The last two players left from the 09 team, both got old, and while it's sad to see them go, it's time to retire.  Morestead has been a great punter and one less thing we had to worry about all these years.  

5 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Largely overshadowed by Brees age and declining problems was Morestead.  The last two players left from the 09 team, both got old, and while it's sad to see them go, it's time to retire.  Morestead has been a great punter and one less thing we had to worry about all these years.  

Very true... Great player, aging. Will have to choose to end his career elsewhere or call it quits.