Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

I'm not trading Williams period. I'm not giving up multiple 1st round picks then trade away our best defensive player for Watson, making our team worse. When we have a real chance to build a better team with the picks we have and cap space. WIlliams and Marcus Maye were our 2 best defensive players. Hoepfully we can re-sign Maye. 

I'd give up 3 1st for Watson, since we have 4 in the next 2 drafts. But anything crazy that destroys our ability to build a team its not worth it because we'll just have a QB and a bad team with no future. 

Edited by NYJets4716

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

If we do that how do will fill the holes in our roster. Watson was 4-12 last year If we did make that trade he would be 4-13 with us next year.

Someone needs to hurry up and do a mock draft with one of these Watson trades. Lol. We have 64M of cap and can bring that up to $80M with a few cuts. If we Bring in Thuney and Robinson as well as trade for Watson, we have roughly $35M.

We’d have a good offense. But JD is going to have a lot of pressure fielding a good enough defense especially if we include Quinnen.

Itll be a top heavy team. Maybe that works. The Rams are pretty top heavy.

Now is actually a good time to do some mock drafts so that we can see what scenerio looks better over the next two years:

1) Meet Houston’s demands (ie 2 1st, 2 2nd, and 2 young D players)

2) take QB at #2 and build around him

3) Trade back and build around the QB position while giving Darnold one more year 

Edited by SDotNova

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

With what late round draft picks?????

Most good TEAMS are built in the mid rounds. Not high draft picks. It’s getting those good players still in the mid rounds and starters late in drafts.

I also don’t think some realize how just having him helps. In FA guys will want to come here if he’s here. So getting the likes of Thuney, AR15 and an edge becomes easier if he’s here.

Also a high level QB at 25yrs old totally changes the trajectory of this franchise. We have no clue if Fields or Wilson can even do that. We know Watson will. 

53 minutes ago, xrade said:

What did Houston say they wanted?  All I heard is they are not trading Watson.  

Yes that’s the only thing we’ve heard from the GM. But it is a fact that Watson wants to be traded and seems set on being traded. Who knows who leaks what. But HOU’s equivalent to Cimini said they want 2 1st 2 2nds and 2 defensive starters. IMO that’s probably the organization leaking that trying to set the bar high. What that doesn’t tell us much of us what he will actually go for. 2 1st for example is vague. Our 2nd pick is obviously not the same as WAS 19th pick. So to just vaguely say 2 1st is where it’s crap. 2 defensive players. Is that Davis and Austin. Or Q and Hall. These things matter.

Overall as I’ve said the whole time... I think HOU gets less than they think they should get back. And the team trading for him gives up more than they’d care to. It will be a middle ground more than likely. What we do know is that it has to be to a franchise Watson wants to go to. In all honesty I think he only what’s to go to us, MIA or SF. So he could deny a trade elsewhere.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Overall as I’ve said the whole time... I think HOU gets less than they think they should get back

IF what that Houston reporter said was even remotely true. I think that is not to bad of a starting point for the Jets. I have always maintained that 3FRP is too much. 2 would be good. We could then probably get them to one SRP by virtue of the #2 pick. As for players, they want young defensive starters. We don’t have much of value but if they can be talked into Bless and JFM or Fats or even Davis, I could live with that. In the end it is about what I would give up. I always stated #2, next year FRP and a SRP. In terms of the draft chart, that would be about 4300 pts. 

5 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I'm not trading Williams period. I'm not giving up multiple 1st round picks then trade away our best defensive player for Watson, making our team worse. When we have a real chance to build a better team with the picks we have and cap space. WIlliams and Marcus Maye were our 2 best defensive players. Hoepfully we can re-sign Maye. 

I'd give up 3 1st for Watson, since we have 4 in the next 2 drafts. But anything crazy that destroys our ability to build a team its not worth it because we'll just have a QB and a bad team with no future. 

I really prefer not to trade Q but if we have to he's going to be expensive. They aren't getting 2+ firsts and Q.

If they must have him involved it's gonna be something like #2, #34, and Q.  His value should remove a 1st and 2nd if they want him because he is a proven commodity.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Most good TEAMS are built in the mid rounds. Not high draft picks. It’s getting those good players still in the mid rounds and starters late in drafts.

I also don’t think some realize how just having him helps. In FA guys will want to come here if he’s here. So getting the likes of Thuney, AR15 and an edge becomes easier if he’s here.

Also a high level QB at 25yrs old totally changes the trajectory of this franchise. We have no clue if Fields or Wilson can even do that. We know Watson will. 

The last five years we got zero out of our mid to late round picks. We are so desperate for a star or impact player on offensive.  And we can get that with our first pick in the draft. No question we can get help with FA pickups but you don't build a Super Bowl team with FA's. Some of our best FA pickups were Curtis Marten, Marshall, Decker. and Alan Faneca, but the problem is you only have these players for a few years. I don't think there is one person on this board that wouldn't want Watson on our roster but you can't give away our future to get him. I know if we trade for Watson we have to give up the second over all pick in the draft OK I can live with that, but not the other first round picks and players some people want to give Houston. Even If we keep the second pick in the draft who do we take there are players in the draft who sure could help our offensive, I leave the pick up to Douglas this is going to be a real tough decision. What makes this debate so strange for years you and I have agree 100% what we should do on offensive. but in this case we both are going in different directions. One thing I do agree with you is the value of that second overall pick in the draft we could do so much with that pick keep it, trade it for Watson, or trade it for other first round picks.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The last five years we got zero out of our mid to late round picks. We are so desperate for a star or impact player on offensive.  And we can get that with our first pick in the draft. No question we can get help with FA pickups but you don't build a Super Bowl team with FA's. Some of our best FA pickups were Curtis Marten, Marshall, Decker. and Alan Faneca, but the problem is you only have these players for a few years. I don't think there is one person on this board that wouldn't want Watson on our roster but you can't give away our future to get him. I know if we trade for Watson we have to give up the second over all pick in the draft OK I can live with that, but not the other first round picks and players some people want to give Houston. Even If we keep the second pick in the draft who do we take there are players in the draft who sure could help our offensive, I leave the pick up to Douglas this is going to be a real tough decision. What makes this debate so strange for years you and I have agree 100% what we should do on offensive. but in this case we both are going in different directions. One thing I do agree with you is the value of that second overall pick in the draft we could do so much with that pick keep it, trade it for Watson, or trade it for other first round picks.

Well as a fan base you have to trust the GM. We as Jets fans have had a rough stretch of bad drafting by several GMs. We have to hope JD is different. He’s only drafted 1 class, and you can’t judge a class by just their rookie years. So it’s hard to tell. But as a fan base we have to hope he builds this team in all rounds. 

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Well as a fan base you have to trust the GM. We as Jets fans have had a rough stretch of bad drafting by several GMs. We have to hope JD is different. He’s only drafted 1 class, and you can’t judge a class by just their rookie years. So it’s hard to tell. But as a fan base we have to hope he builds this team in all rounds. 

I agree I trust Douglas. Our big debate is if we still have the second pick in the draft on draft day what do we do? Do we play it safe and draft one of the QB's or  O lineman, OR take a WR or RB which is a gamble when you pick one that high in the draft, or even trade the pick.  In most years the top WR's go between 10 and 17 in the first round, and we don.t pick again till #23 and that could be to late to get a WR.  I have always hated the idea of trading a high first round pick but this year it could happen if we trade the pick and one of the picks we get back is a first round pick in the low teens. This has to be one of the toughest decisions a GM has to make with the second pick in the draft, usually the pick set in stone when you pick at two. The only way Douglas could come out of this problem smelling like a rose is to trade for Watson, WITHOUT giving away the store. Houston does not have a first or second round pick this year, and Watson has them over a barrel.                 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I agree I trust Douglas. Our big debate is if we still have the second pick in the draft on draft day what do we do? Do we play it safe and draft one of the QB's or  O lineman, OR take a WR or RB which is a gamble when you pick one that high in the draft, or even trade the pick.  In most years the top WR's go between 10 and 17 in the first round, and we don.t pick again till #23 and that could be to late to get a WR.  I have always hated the idea of trading a high first round pick but this year it could happen if we trade the pick and one of the picks we get back is a first round pick in the low teens. This has to be one of the toughest decisions a GM has to make with the second pick in the draft, usually the pick set in stone when you pick at two. The only way Douglas could come out of this problem smelling like a rose is to trade for Watson, WITHOUT giving away the store. Houston does not have a first or second round pick this year, and Watson has them over a barrel.                 

Yes JD then ties himself to a QB drafted at 2, Darnold or a QB we trade for. GMs get tied to a QB. So what he chooses this year...  really chooses his fate. And he knows that.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes JD then ties himself to a QB drafted at 2, Darnold or a QB we trade for. GMs get tied to a QB. So what he chooses this year...  really chooses his fate. And he knows that.

I said the except same thing to a guy from DENVER who wanted us to trade Darnold to Denver for the ninth pick in the draft and get our 23 overall pick, i told him the problem is we will be forced then to either draft a QB or trade with Houston to get Watson.