Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

I just don't think the Jets FO has sat down and decided 100% what they want to do yet. Obviously that will happen real soon. But I dnt think its happened yet. They need to have a clear plan. Is it to trade Darnold for the best package bc they really like Fields or Wilson at 2. Do they not love Fields or Wilson and want to stick with Darnold. Or do they think they should really think about trading big assets for a guy like Watson. They have to decide this. And it has to be done in the coming weeks. they have to have a pitch for FAs and all. 

11 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I’m still not buying Watson gets traded before the draft. I just don’t see Houston trading him for anything less than a massive haul. And I don’t see the Jets or Dolphins meeting does demand. Houston will try and smooth this over during training camp. He may get traded in the summer if Houston realizes nothing can truly be done to repair the relationship. Until then, it’s one big game of chicken where nobody wants to lose.

If you don't trade him before the draft then you are stuck with him. You will be getting draft picks that you have no idea where they will land. If you trade him before the draft you at least now where the picks are. I also think the teams want it done before FA to sell the Watson is our QB for the next 10 years. He will be moved before FA or else the Texans lose because they Jets look better than the Texans and that is saying a lot. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I just don't think the Jets FO has sat down and decided 100% what they want to do yet. Obviously that will happen real soon. But I dnt think its happened yet. They need to have a clear plan. Is it to trade Darnold for the best package bc they really like Fields or Wilson at 2. Do they not love Fields or Wilson and want to stick with Darnold. Or do they think they should really think about trading big assets for a guy like Watson. They have to decide this. And it has to be done in the coming weeks. they have to have a pitch for FAs and all. 

I think we have contingencies to our ‘ideal’ plan. We will be fluid and adapt as we go but I’m sure we will have a plan or more accurately ‘plans’. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if we have three big boards. As in each board highlights a different scenario. I can imagine there’s the ‘Watson’ ‘Darnold’ & ‘Rookie’ ideas. Each will be drastically different as it’s probably the most critical question going into the offseason. What do we do at QB? 

Everything else will follow accordingly in my opinion. 

42 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I think we have contingencies to our ‘ideal’ plan. We will be fluid and adapt as we go but I’m sure we will have a plan or more accurately ‘plans’. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if we have three big boards. As in each board highlights a different scenario. I can imagine there’s the ‘Watson’ ‘Darnold’ & ‘Rookie’ ideas. Each will be drastically different as it’s probably the most critical question going into the offseason. What do we do at QB? 

WHAT DO WE DO AT QB, that is the big question. It is to bad the FA market comes before the draft, will FA's players be leery of signing with the Jets with our current weak roster, and all the uncertainty at the QB position. We need at least three FA players to sign before the draft, and I am not sure if any of these FA want to come to a 2-14 teams with out a QB. The one way to solve this problem is to sign Watson before the draft with out giving away the store. But that is easer said than done.

8 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

WHAT DO WE DO AT QB, that is the big question. It is to bad the FA market comes before the draft, will FA's players be leery of signing with the Jets with our current weak roster, and all the uncertainty at the QB position. We need at least three FA players to sign before the draft, and I am not sure if any of these FA want to come to a 2-14 teams with out a QB. The one way to solve this problem is to sign Watson before the draft with out giving away the store. But that is easer said than done.

That’s why I believe the trade would come pre FA not last minute like the Favre trade back in the day.  

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Well I think if we make a move for Watson it will be before FA. I could be wrong, that's just my guess. And then in turn we can trade Darnold for the best package and that's additional draft resources to game plan going into the draft.

I think we should have a very good idea as to what we want to do in the draft a few days into FA (obviously who we get in FA alters who we need in the draft).

I think we trade Darnold pre draft if we are drafting a QB at 2. If we don't trade him... its pretty safe to assume that we are rolling with him and I'd expect us to almost for sure trade back if that is the case.

So I think it will just be an order of operations. We know if nothing else JD will look into Watson. If he deems the price is too high he decides on Darnold or a drafted QB. But that decision has to be made pre draft obviously. Bc you'd like to have a clear plan as to what you're doing at 2 and if we are trading Darnold what picks we would be getting to game plan.

What I will say... is I don't see a 4th option for us. I do think those are our 3 options. I don't think we go looking for a starting QB in another way. It will be trade for Watson, stick with Darnold or draft a guy at 2. That's it. 

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Well I think if we make a move for Watson it will be before FA. I could be wrong, that's just my guess. And then in turn we can trade Darnold for the best package and that's additional draft resources to game plan going into the draft.

I think we should have a very good idea as to what we want to do in the draft a few days into FA (obviously who we get in FA alters who we need in the draft).

I think we trade Darnold pre draft if we are drafting a QB at 2. If we don't trade him... its pretty safe to assume that we are rolling with him and I'd expect us to almost for sure trade back if that is the case.

So I think it will just be an order of operations. We know if nothing else JD will look into Watson. If he deems the price is too high he decides on Darnold or a drafted QB. But that decision has to be made pre draft obviously. Bc you'd like to have a clear plan as to what you're doing at 2 and if we are trading Darnold what picks we would be getting to game plan.

What I will say... is I don't see a 4th option for us. I do think those are our 3 options. I don't think we go looking for a starting QB in another way. It will be trade for Watson, stick with Darnold or draft a guy at 2. That's it. 

Yeah I think the beauty of picking #2 is we know what the board will look like. We all know the Jags will go Lawerence so that leaves us the board. If we picked say anything from 3-5 we wouldn’t really know how the draft would play out and that would make it more difficult to trade Sam pre draft.

If we go into FA and sign some nice weapons but nothing major I think that’s the sign we have decided we are rolling with a rookie qb. And in turn will then look to trade Sam. If we don’t trade for Deshaun but go big in FA it could be the last push (actually the 1st one!!) to build everything around Sam. 

Eigher way going into FA I think m we will have decided out of the three big options this offseason;

-Trade for Deshaun. 

-Roll with Sam.

-Draft a rookie #2. 

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

is I don't see a 4th option for us

I guess the fourth option is roll with Sam and trade down as you state. They must decide how far they are willing to go and what options may be available then. This will most likely be a draft day thing. They can see who is available and what the very limited trends may be as well as what would be fair trade value. All that has to be done well beforehand and not in the allotted 10 minutes.

I guess this is kind of obvious, but between now and April, they should be preparing for all 4 options:  Watson, rookie QB at 2, Sam and rookie at 2, and Sam and trade down.  That is a lot of work. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

I guess the fourth option is roll with Sam and trade down as you state. They must decide how far they are willing to go and what options may be available then. This will most likely be a draft day thing. They can see who is available and what the very limited trends may be as well as what would be fair trade value. All that has to be done well beforehand and not in the allotted 10 minutes.

I guess this is kind of obvious, but between now and April, they should be preparing for all 4 options:  Watson, rookie QB at 2, Sam and rookie at 2, and Sam and trade down.  That is a lot of work. 

Would be ridiculous and pointless. I pray this isn’t something even spoken about at Jets hq. 

Our problems are nothing compared to Houston problems, They do not have a first or second round pick in this years draft, and their QB wants out, what can be worst than that. No other team can offer them the second round pick in the draft but the Jets. If we deal with Houston we will be dealing with a position of strength not weakness,

The team to watch out for in a trade back scenario is Carolina. They’ve been in all the trade rumors. So they’ll likely be aggressive come draft day. Detroit and Atlanta are possibilities but they don’t seem as anxious as Carolina. And SF is too far back. It’ll be hard for them to get to #2.

Edited by SDotNova