Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

15 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Where was it that Schefter threw cold water on it being the Jets?? 

He just said that the Hets shouldn’t get their hopes up. I peg that more as our FO being hush hush on everything. Which is the way JD operates. Im

aure Jd will hear rumors what teams are offering. And will throw an offer out there he thinks is a decent chance to get him. What HOU accepts... we will see. But us with that 2nd pick are in a great spot to trump any other teams deal. It’s the add insult after that. Is it 2 more 1sts to get it done? Is it more than that? Who knows. I just know the more teams involved... the higher the price. Which means the more likely we walk away with no deal. JD is still not a guy to overpay for guys at the end of the day. Even if it is a franchise 25yr old QB. I still think we are in the top 2-3 teams to get a deal done. But I’m less optimistic then I was yesterday before he announced his trade request and all the teams jumping in.

I honestly was happy we might get Watson bit the more I think about it I'm probably happier with what we have now. JD has done so well drafting that he can have us turned around in another year or 2. Why trade away all that for Watson when he has flopped in big games. He is a great QB but is he the next Rivers that does great but can NEVER finish. If I had to pick a QB in this draft besides T Law I think it would have to be Wilson. I think we can trade down pick up an extra first and still get Wilson. I think i would still keep Sam too and go into the season with Wilson and Sam fighting for the starter job. If Sam wins great Wilson as a year to learn. If Wlson wins move Sam for a draft pick. 

I’m thinking that as well. It’s going to suck for Houston fans. Especially if it’s not to the Jets. And to a lesser extent the Dolphins.

Teams that might take a QB 

#1: Jags are taking a QB for sure

#2: Jets Likely go QB

#3: Miami is not taking a QB

#4: Atl maybe takes a QB to groom

#5: cincy is not taking a QB

#6: I can’t see Philly taking a QB

#7-#9- Det, Car, and Den could all go QB

That’s 6 teams in the top 9. These QBs are going to go fast. And teams are going to want to jump for their guy.

So if Houston trades Watson to Carolina or Denver or SF, they likely have to trade up to get their QB or just go the non-QB route. Or they might be high on Mac Jones. Maybe pray Lance makes it to their pick.

Where Stafford lands impacts things. SF and Indy seem to have the most traction.

Edited by SDotNova

6 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

If #2 is involved I’d imagine another 1 and maybe a 3 or Darnold 

I have a feeling you’re right. So, if Miami wants him, they can beat that offer.

Beyond that though. What would it take for a team like Carolina and SF to beat that offer? I’m trying to put myself in Houston shoes and I’m not trading Watson unless I get the opportunity get a potential FQB. It’s a sticky situation.

41 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

What do you think JD’s final offer will be?

I think he’s waiting to see what other teams offers will be. I don’t see HOU being dumb again and taking a awful offer and not seeing what else they can get, like they did when they traded Hopkins. I think they’ll call and make teams make there best offer before deciding on a trade. So I think JD will know what he’s up against. What I think his final offer will be... will be a 1st each of the next 3 drafts (still leaving us with a 1st these next 2 drafts). And maybe a 3rd this year as well. He knows the value of that’s 2nd pick. A team like CAR offering 3 1sts isn’t the same as us offering that. And he knows that.

49 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I have a feeling you’re right. So, if Miami wants him, they can beat that offer.

Beyond that though. What would it take for a team like Carolina and SF to beat that offer? I’m trying to put myself in Houston shoes and I’m not trading Watson unless I get the opportunity get a potential FQB. It’s a sticky situation.

I think our best chance to hope Houston is high on Wilson or Fields. Regardless, it’s reported that Watson is dug in and willing to sit out and lose money so I think he’s definitely getting moved.

Carolina could decide to offer 8 and their next 2 1RP. I just really, really don’t want to see him in Miami. 

9 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I think our best chance to hope Houston is high on Wilson or Fields. Regardless, it’s reported that Watson is dug in and willing to sit out and lose money so I think he’s definitely getting moved.

Carolina could decide to offer 8 and their next 2 1RP. I just really, really don’t want to see him in Miami. 

Fields has the same agent as Watson. So Houston may not want to deal with another QB being represented by him.

After consuming all that info yesterday and my gut telling me JD doesn’t blow them out of the water with a deal, I’m not getting my hopes up.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Fields has the same agent as Watson. So Houston may not want to deal with another QB being represented by him.

After consuming all that info yesterday and my gut telling me JD doesn’t blow them out of the water with a deal, I’m not getting my hopes up.

There's no guarantee Houston will be able to get Fields or Wilson at 8. I just don't see how anyone aside from us or Miami makes sense. 

HOU has to decide if they love Wilson or Fields and want to start over with a new rookie contract at QB. Or sacrifice that high of a draft pick and try and get a QB in return with the trade. Issue with that is... they don't have a ton of cap. So they cant take on a big QB contract this year for an established guy. They could get creative in creating space... but I don't see players moving money around for this franchise and this stage. I think if anything you see more Texans request trades rather than move contract money around. This is why I think us and MIA are in the best spots for this. I still stand by that. But I don't think JD overpays. So that's what has me worried. When for me... if there's ever a deal to overpay on... THIS IS IT!!!