Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Has there been rumors from our side that we are interested?

So far, we know Watson is interested in a few teams including the Jets. We also know he wants to be traded.

Houston likely wants to trade with us because we have a lot of draft capital including the second overall pick.

Nothing  really has come out suggesting we’re interested. We can read this as, we are playing our cards right and will strike when there’s a deal to be had. Or it can mean, we have other plans. Like build out our team first.

I could not agree more, I am sure that is the way Douglas. feels build the team first. People forgot two of those first round pick we got was for a all pro safety Adams. The Viking and the Giants who made this same kind of trade were lousy for years. The same thing happen to the Rams in the early fifties when they send 9 roster players to the Chicago Cards for one player Ollie Matson, that was another disaster trade. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

That is all GM speak and part of the game. The longer Houston plays this game the more time teams have to think about upping their offer.

Team A:  We want  Watson and will offer X. Houston:  We aren’t trading him.

Two weeks later.

Team A:  Alright we will offer X + Y.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

And in those 2 weeks... Watson makes the franchise look worse and worse each day. They get rid of him... the elephant in the room is gone. Focus on the rebuild. 

So what is everyone thinking now in terms of trade comp? Just curious if anything has changed. I still think he stays in Houston.

Looking around these forums, fans of teams who may want him are not as anxious as Jets fans. Miami fans are like keep the build going. Denver fans say 2 1st and 2 2nds. We seem like one of the more enthusiastic fanbases. Some of these more wild trades are being thrown out there by fans watching from the sidelines.

Edited by SDotNova

9 hours ago, SDotNova said:

So what is everyone thinking now in terms of trade comp? Just curious if anything has changed. I still think he stays in Houston.

Looking around these forums, fans of teams who may want him are not as anxious as Jets fans. Miami fans are like keep the build going. Denver fans say 2 1st and 2 2nds. We seem like one of the more enthusiastic fanbases. Some of these more wild trades are being thrown out there by fans watching from the sidelines.

I still think he’s going to take a package that is as fans will criticize. But I think it will be worth it. Watson is a star. We need a QB bad. And MIA probably being our main competition for him makes it worse. How are we winning the division in true future facing Allen and Watson 4 times a year? This is without knowing who NE even gets at QB.

Its more than I’d care to give up... but I think he goes for 3 1sts and Q from Us. 

4 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Supposedly we checked in on Stafford, sounds like it was just to gauge the price. 

That's just JD doing his job. Any player that's good should be checked in on. The report was that we never even made an offer. That we just called to see what the price was. That's JD doing his job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I still think he’s going to take a package that is as fans will criticize. But I think it will be worth it. Watson is a star. We need a QB bad. And MIA probably being our main competition for him makes it worse. How are we winning the division in true future facing Allen and Watson 4 times a year? This is without knowing who NE even gets at QB.

Its more than I’d care to give up... but I think he goes for 3 1sts and Q from Us. 

THats not worth it if one of the 3 1sts is the #2. That is essentially the equivalent of 5 1sts for a QB not on a rookie deal for a team that has very little plus taking away the one blue chip player we have. THat is a hard pass.

Just now, ekill08x said:

THats not worth it if one of the 3 1sts is the #2. That is essentially the equivalent of 5 1sts for a QB not on a rookie deal for a team that has very little plus taking away the one blue chip player we have. THat is a hard pass.

As I said... it will be a package that we as fans wont like. But I think that's what it will take. When teams like WAS might offer 2 1st and 2 2nds along with 2 of there very talented young defensive guys... that's what it will take to get him. We all know that the 2nd pick is quite a bit more valuable than anyone elses 1st (except MIA). But fact is it will take a huge package to get him. The longer it goes on... the higher I think the price goes.

39 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

As I said... it will be a package that we as fans wont like. But I think that's what it will take. When teams like WAS might offer 2 1st and 2 2nds along with 2 of there very talented young defensive guys... that's what it will take to get him. We all know that the 2nd pick is quite a bit more valuable than anyone elses 1st (except MIA). But fact is it will take a huge package to get him. The longer it goes on... the higher I think the price goes.

My thinking though is if Houston wants their qb of the future (fields or Wilson) they need that #2 pick to secure the talent they want. If they take an offer from Washington then they more then likely aren’t getting their franchise qb. It very well could be the 4/5th qb taken by that time. 

The best course of action is a trade with us. Like you said before the blowback from getting back your original picks from Miami would be ridiculous. The way for everyone to come out clean is a trade with us. 

#2, #23 and next years 1st is a great package. Houston can get their new qb plus two extra first rounders. We get our franchise qb; and Deshaun gets the fresh start in NY. We can also then trade Sam for additional picks lost in the trade with Houston. 

The above offer equates to very roughly 4250 points. That’s the approx of a team like Washington picking 19th at 5 first round picks. That’s why a trade suits both us and Houston. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Since my 68 years of following the NFL any teams who have made this kind of trade has failed miserably. Look how bad we were hurt by giving three second round picks  just moving up three spots to get Darnold. We really have a great chance to rebuild the roster in this years draft I thought you would be the last member of this board to approve this kind of trade. This could be our last chance for years to get a impact player on offensive. If we gave up our second overall pick in the draft along with two second round pick for Watson, that would be a fair trade. Houston, is in no position to dictate what we have to give up in a trade. We have to be more like Michael Corleone and not like FREDO aka Macc,  

47 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yeah and at that point its not worth it and its nearly counter productive to our ailing roster. Keep the stud and the picks, trade Sam and draft a QB to restart the rookie contract clock. I LOVE Watson and it would be exciting but not for that price. I dont see Douglas making that deal at all.

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I disagree here for a few reasons. 

1. The Lions and Rams are now out of the race for Watson. You just lost 2 teams and the longer they wait more and more teams will drop. 

2. Watson just deleted all things that have Texans on his social media. He is getting moved and everyone knows this. So making a better package to influence the Texans to trade him is a joke. The Texans HAVE to trdae him. 

3.  If they want 2 first 2 seconds and 2 good D starters to even start the talks only a few teams can afford this,

4. His contract is another thing that will have to be worked out beacsue a lot of teams are over the cap. 

5. There are a lot other options that are on the table for QB right now. You have several QB in th draft that a team could pick and then you add the FA like Dak, Winston ( if you cut down his turnovers he could be a steal) and Trubisky ( not a fan but someone could take him on). This means you have 4 QB in the draft plus these 3 make 7 starters that could go week1. 

Overall. I just don't see the great package for Watson. I think the Jets and Miami are too smart for the Texans and will offer there top pick #2 or #3 with a first next year and maybe a seocnd round pick and they will tell the Texans to take it or leave it. You want more first round picks trade down form the 2-3 spot to collect more picks. 

28 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I disagree here for a few reasons. 

1. The Lions and Rams are now out of the race for Watson. You just lost 2 teams and the longer they wait more and more teams will drop. 

2. Watson just deleted all things that have Texans on his social media. He is getting moved and everyone knows this. So making a better package to influence the Texans to trade him is a joke. The Texans HAVE to trdae him. 

3.  If they want 2 first 2 seconds and 2 good D starters to even start the talks only a few teams can afford this,

4. His contract is another thing that will have to be worked out beacsue a lot of teams are over the cap. 

5. There are a lot other options that are on the table for QB right now. You have several QB in th draft that a team could pick and then you add the FA like Dak, Winston ( if you cut down his turnovers he could be a steal) and Trubisky ( not a fan but someone could take him on). This means you have 4 QB in the draft plus these 3 make 7 starters that could go week1. 

Overall. I just don't see the great package for Watson. I think the Jets and Miami are too smart for the Texans and will offer there top pick #2 or #3 with a first next year and maybe a seocnd round pick and they will tell the Texans to take it or leave it. You want more first round picks trade down form the 2-3 spot to collect more picks. 

HOU IMO will get a good package. Why I think the sooner they move him the better... is let’s looks at Adams for us. Did the situation get better for us with him over time? No it got worse and made us as a franchise each day look bad. Your average fan doesn’t know the in’s and outs of things. They just see a star player talking bad about a team. Every day Watson isn’t traded looks worse and worse for HOU. He deleted everything Texans related. What do you think is next? Probably him complaining about not being traded yet. The sooner they move him the better for HOU.

17 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah and at that point its not worth it and its nearly counter productive to our ailing roster. Keep the stud and the picks, trade Sam and draft a QB to restart the rookie contract clock. I LOVE Watson and it would be exciting but not for that price. I dont see Douglas making that deal at all.

You know that is my feeling also.  If you read my post from a couple of days ago I mention the three other times in the history of the NFL trades were made  like this were a disaster for the team that initiated a trade like this, Giants wanted Fran Tarkenton, the Vikings wanted Herschel Walker, and the Rams wanted Ollie Matson.

Interesting thing could be for us to offer a package and Q and ask for JJ in return. So plugging that hole we would have trading Q, but in reality helping HOU with cap. Maybe lowering the pick value we'd have to give up by giving them a guy on a rookie deal for a guy that will be 32 and getting paid a ton.