Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

46 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I didnt say that they wouldn't trade him to the AFC I am saying that teams prefer to go to the other conference if the opportunity arises. I know players get traded in the division it has happened in the past its not ideal for those teams but that is the best offer they got on him. Your not going to pigeon hole yourself to 16 teams by saying its in the best interest to not deal with him entirely by sending him to the NFC but if it came down to similar trade options ideally you would prefer to send him to the NFC over AFC, same thing with sending him out of division then in division, look at the Bills they gave up more then any other team to get Drew Bledsoe from the Pats. FWIW hes liking stuff on Niners, Raiders, Miami, and several other teams thats what these guys do especially in FA to get media talking about it. While I agree it is bad for Houston Texans that he is acting out this way at the same time you traded up in the draft to get him, and then paid him money for it to kick in this year. The cost of trading him would be more then his cap, and you have him on the books for 5 years. Why move him, why not force him to play out his deal or retire? Call his bluff let him play out the year, if not you can still land a haul next offseason if he doesnt come around to it.

Would you want a guy like this to be the QB of your team? Do you think he will give 100% if he is forced to play? If he sits out that means the Texans have 25 million of their cap sittig at home. That is a pretty big chunck of change when the cap was dropped to 180 mill this year. You would have 14% of your cap not even in the building. He is not going to retire. He will just sit back and collect his money or play. I do see your points but they are very weak points. The Texans have no power or leverage anymore. This is why the Texans are doing what ever they can to smooth things over. You have two choices here. Smooth things over or trdae him. I personal thing the smooth things over move is dead in the water. 

Also the argument about more/less picks;

-Would you rather the #2 pick and #23 this year with a third 1st in 2022 or 

- San Fran/Chicago’s four first rounders??? 

So if a team like that give up an extra first why would Houston take the deal? They’d be more or less guaranteed a late 20’s pick or worse each year on those two teams. Whereas the #2 pick now is worth more than all those picks as they will be so late in the draft. 

Its like me offering you a Ferrari but you take a deal worth two generic cars because of the quantity. That #2 pick and Miami’s #3 is so much more beneficial than some extra late round first three years from now when the HC and GM may be sacked already!! 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

It will be interesting to see if he does in fact be willing to waive it.

Who is to say miami and jets are both top trade partners? Just because the draft capital is there to make the trade doesnt mean they are the best trade partners ? I would assume Chicago and San Fran are the top 2 at the moment because they are in their small window to make a superbowl run as the pressure on GM/HC are there where both Gaines and Douglas are just in the rebuild mode now. It would have to come down to who is more desperate and teams like Niners and Bears are in win now mode without a qb so mortgaging their future to save their jobs may be something Houston would take advantage of over the Jets who could easily give up a pick or 2 but giving up more which seems to be the case (based off of Stafford's deal) may not be something two young and up and coming teams may be looking to do at the moment. 

I don’t think Houston has a choice. Just play out the scenario and tell me if you think Houston is in good shape. SF trades 4 1st for Watson. Realistically, that’s pick #12, and 3 other picks in the 18-25 range. In that kind of trade, Houston’s best chance to land a potential FQB is going to be Houston’s own pick in 2022. That’s risky. Otherwise, they’ll have to use the capital to trade up which kind of defeats the purpose.

I do think Watson waives his no trade clause. And I just can’t wrap my head around why Houston would trade him without giving themselves a chance at a FQB.

Im likely in the minority, but I think Houston will call Watson’s bluff. I don’t see us or Miami forking up 4 1st or 3 first and stud like Q in the case of the Jets. 

Edited by SDotNova

6 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I will accept what your saying, I am not denying that you have the draft capital to make the move. My view is why would Joe Douglas move so many picks to only put a target on his back. Going for a big fish like that and putting all your eggs in the Watson basket you need to win sooner rather then later if you do that, you have no excuse by making this move and not winning right away. You have teams that are on year 4/5 of their 5 year deal with nothing to lose at this point and would be mortgaging the future of that organization in hopes to save their job today. If you get in a bidding war with these guys then you will end up overpaying and then Joe Douglas could be looking for a job come 2023 offseason if he has nothing to show for it. That is my reasoning as to why I dont see the Jets being the best options out there, not because they do not have the capital it is because Douglas and Saleh are practically brand new to the organization and are trying to play the long game not to go all in and potentially bust. While Shanahan who has to now face stafford, wilson and a young Murray in the division with an injury prone Jimmy G, or a Bears who has to deal with Aaron Rodgers, and Kirk Cousins with Nick Foles as your QB moving forward is something these 2 desperate franchises might do by mortgaging their 1st rd draft picks as well as mid rounds and potential young non qb players just to get a shot at winning the division and saving their jobs. 

You make the move for Watson... you know you have a star QB. What makes the most sense is to load up on talent in FA as well. Make this team a contender ASAP.

You make the playoffs the next couple years and no one will care about the trade picks.

Trading for Watson has zero risk from a skill level. Everyone knows he will be great. Making the move is the safest probably for JD. Sticking with Darnold or drafting a guy at 2 carries a bigger risk. Bc they could both fail. Watson won’t fail. We still have a ton of cap even if we trade for him and still have lots of picks. 

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

If you get in a bidding war with these guys then you will end up overpaying and then Joe Douglas could be looking for a job come 2023 offseason if he has nothing to show for it. That

JD will not overpay. He does not strike me or many on this site as impatient and impetuous. He will have a price in mind and will not be strong armed into paying more.  If we land Watson, it will be at a price JD us comfortable with.

Keep in mind, JD wants to build through the draft. Watson even being potentially available is a rare occurrence that happens to coincide with the Jets having need, cap space and more than the usual high round draft picks. He may be willing to part with some to get that stud QB and still have enough to properly build this team. Watson is the safest option at QB and JD will not pay more than he wants to.

Edited by xrade

I don't think Wilson goes anywhere... but him being rumored around can IMO only hurt the Watson value for HOU.

Bc it becomes a math thing. The more teams that need a QB that find a QB hurts his value. When HOU has 10 teams that want Watson and that list goes down to 4. The leverage lowers for them.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think Wilson goes anywhere... but him being rumored around can IMO only hurt the Watson value for HOU.

Bc it becomes a math thing. The more teams that need a QB that find a QB hurts his value. When HOU has 10 teams that want Watson and that list goes down to 4. The leverage lowers for them.

This is why I said weeks ago that there really is only a few teams that have a need and the resources to make it happen.  I also think anyone who tries to link the Stafford trade to Watson's cost (or Wentz's) is not looking at the whole picture.  LA paid the extra first to get rid of Goff and his contract.

If Watson is going to be traded it will come down to the Jets, WFT, Carolina, Pats, Denver or SF.  Even then SF and Carolina will have to get creative to make cap space.

48 minutes ago, xrade said:

This is why I said weeks ago that there really is only a few teams that have a need and the resources to make it happen.  I also think anyone who tries to link the Stafford trade to Watson's cost (or Wentz's) is not looking at the whole picture.  LA paid the extra first to get rid of Goff and his contract.

If Watson is going to be traded it will come down to the Jets, WFT, Carolina, Pats, Denver or SF.  Even then SF and Carolina will have to get creative to make cap space.

Another public relation blow for Houston JJ Watts wanted out of Houston, and set him free. He is a free agent now.

I don't think our GM is very aggressive (and for a 2-14 team, I am not sure he should be), so I think Watson is going to land somewhere like Denver or Vegas. And at this point, I am OK with that because we need a LOT of things to become a contender. Not just a franchise QB.

Right now, I think I would be totally OK if we signed Jimmy G (assuming the 49ers are going to release him) as our Teddy Bridgewater stopgap and draft a guy with the 23rd pick to be the future.

5 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I don't think our GM is very aggressive (and for a 2-14 team, I am not sure he should be), so I think Watson is going to land somewhere like Denver or Vegas. And at this point, I am OK with that because we need a LOT of things to become a contender. Not just a franchise QB.

Right now, I think I would be totally OK if we signed Jimmy G (assuming the 49ers are going to release him) as our Teddy Bridgewater stopgap and draft a guy with the 23rd pick to be the future.

Gross - why not just keep Sam in that situation?

1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

Gross - why not just keep Sam in that situation?

Because Sam literally can’t make throws in clean pockets when they are there and he has failed to show he can process at an NFL rate or read a defense. If you can get a 1 for him you say thank you and move on. Keeping him a 4th year and in the event he struggles you won’t be able to trade him. Too big of a risk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Because Sam literally can’t make throws in clean pockets when they are there and he has failed to show he can process at an NFL rate or read a defense. If you can get a 1 for him you say thank you and move on. Keeping him a 4th year and in the event he struggles you won’t be able to trade him. Too big of a risk.

On one hand we are thinking the 49ers would trade for Sam to replace Jimmy G because he's bad so in return you think we'd bring in Jimmy G to replace Sam because he's bad so he was traded to SF to replace Jimmy G because he was bad.

The risk of not trading Sam now (if the rumours are true about a 1st round pick) is too great if we did keep him this year and needed up not picking up the 5th year option and seeing him walk 12 months from now. 

For me I think we go with the qb at #2 and trade Sam for the best package and go from there. 

15 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Agree 100% with the assessment on Sam.  If the 49ers want to give us their #1 and Jimmy for Sam, I'm all about it.  Otherwise I don't see going from Sam to Jimmy G as much of a net positive.