Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

I want the Jets to trade down a few times and grab Mac Jones. I think he will be better than Wilson and fields. Trade down to 4 grab Smith or chase and grab Jones at 23. That would be perfect and add a first round pick next year which we would have 3 first round picks in 2022.

35 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I want the Jets to trade down a few times and grab Mac Jones. I think he will be better than Wilson and fields. Trade down to 4 grab Smith or chase and grab Jones at 23. That would be perfect and add a first round pick next year which we would have 3 first round picks in 2022.

Chances are Jones won’t get past NE at 15. After that, there is SF, WFT, and the Colts to think about. Waiting until 23 would be a real risk if JD wants him. 

No matter what we do with the second round pick in the draft it will affect our next three picks in the draft. So everything hinges on what we do at number two. Some people on this board have a opinion on what we should do, at this point I am not sure yet. The only thing i don't want is for us give away three first round picks to help build another team. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, doumeyer said:

No matter what we do with the second round pick in the draft it will affect our next three picks in the draft. So everything hinges on what we do at number two. Some people on this board have a opinion on what we should do, at this point I am not sure yet. The only thing i don't want is for us give away three first round picks to help build another team. 

I tend to agree with you, on all counts. Since I am undecided on what to do with the No. 2 pick, I think trading down (at least once) makes sense. What also makes sense is to take the BPA (which is probably either Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith). 

What I don't want is to draft our new QB savior at 2. Been there, done that. 

57 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I tend to agree with you, on all counts. Since I am undecided on what to do with the No. 2 pick, I think trading down (at least once) makes sense. What also makes sense is to take the BPA (which is probably either Penei Sewell or DeVonta Smith). 

BPA is typically good for a team that does not have as many holes as we do. The good thing is we have so many holes that outside of DT, any BPA we select will fill a hole.

However, some holes are more apparent than others. OT is not an immediate need to select at 2 and I have mentioned the future headaches that could occur as we now see with Balt. If we get a good WR in FA, neither will WR be a need at 2.  Those two position groups also happen to have good players well into day 2. Since no other position group warrants a prospect at 2, QB may be our only option if we do not stick with Sam.  If we do keep Sam, trade down is obvious and allows us to look at other position groups in which we do not overdraft a player.

As for the QB history of the Jets, it is just that - history.  This is a different coaching staff and FO. How about we give them a little time for determining that they can’t develop a QB or surround the QB with talent. And let’s not forget that busts happen at every position.  OT Jason Smith, WR Justin Blackmon, WR Kevin White etc. It is not just limited to QB. It is more frequent with QB because they are the most over drafted position group. If you don’t like the QB prospects at 2 because you watched them play, that is your respected opinion. But to use the “we can’t develop a QB” excuse is not doing justice to our current coaches and FO. 

Edited by xrade

Unless we manage to swing Watson for 3 1sts I think we’re trading darnold

for a late first where we send them a 3rd with Darnold 

Then at 2 we’ll draft Wilson ... a defensive player and an offensive weapon this year in the 1st

while id love Watson im starting to think we won’t budge from a certain price and Houston will drag this into the season and eventually lose Watson for less then they should have gotten for him 

3 minutes ago, KBS756 said:

Unless we manage to swing Watson for 3 1sts I think we’re trading darnold

for a late first where we send them a 3rd with Darnold 

Then at 2 we’ll draft Wilson ... a defensive player and an offensive weapon this year in the 1st

while id love Watson im starting to think we won’t budge from a certain price and Houston will drag this into the season and eventually lose Watson for less then they should have gotten for him 

That wouldn’t surprise me. But as I’ve stated... if we have a mediocre FA period. I don’t see this team much improved besides a better staff then.

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

But if we don’t draft a QB at 2 how will we ever acquire one in the future? All the good QBs in this league were drafted in the top 3. What if we are drafting at 10 next year? Then what? That seems to be the argument around here

I agree with you. I’d trade down once, and try to trade down again if possible, unless there’s a player too good to pass up. If we can stay in the 6-10 range and somehow land Chase/Lance I’d be ecstatic.

I think the Watson thing is just about dead. I want the Jets to drop a few picks down and draft Chase or Smith and have Jones as the QB. I'm almost 100% sure that the Pats will not draft a QB in the first round. BB only has a few years left and does not want a rookie QB to finish out his career. BB wants a vet to come in and take over and not wait 2-3 years for the guy to be good. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

That wouldn’t surprise me. But as I’ve stated... if we have a mediocre FA period. I don’t see this team much improved besides a better staff then.

Aside from Barr a couple of years ago (Thank you sweet baby Jesus), what FA’s refused to come here?  Serious question as I do not recall a FA spurning us. 

52 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I'm almost 100% sure that the Pats will not draft a QB in the first round. BB only has a few years left and does not want a rookie QB to finish out his career

It may be what happens but if he does not get a viable starter via trade, they may very well pick Jones at 15.

The Pats are more ready to win now than the Jets. Their D and OL are good. They need a QB, WR and TE. All three can be obtained in the draft and FA. Even if the Pats pass on Jones, I can’t see WFT, SF or the Colts passing on him. If JD likes Jones we would have to select him before 15.

12 hours ago, xrade said:

Aside from Barr a couple of years ago (Thank you sweet baby Jesus), what FA’s refused to come here?  Serious question as I do not recall a FA spurning us. 

None really. We’ve never had a problem attracting free agents we just tend to pick the wrong ones but that’s why I like how Douglas does it. 2nd and 3rd tier free agents on essentially one year deals. If it works great, if not then cut your losses. If you draft well this is a great method and Douglas first draft looks solid. Davis, Zuniga and Clark all being rotation players or starters makes it excellent. 

23 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

None really. We’ve never had a problem attracting free agents we just tend to pick the wrong ones but that’s why I like how Douglas does it. 2nd and 3rd tier free agents on essentially one year deals. If it works great, if not then cut your losses. If you draft well this is a great method and Douglas first draft looks solid. Davis, Zuniga and Clark all being rotation players or starters makes it excellent. 

Yeah I completely agree however I think this offseason is going to be very unique. We have a ton of cap space with the majority of the league going to struggle to get below the cap so there’s an advantage for JD to take.
For me I’d be more inclined to go after the big name on the o-line like a Thuney but with this offseason being so different I would go big on a receiver like ARob, Goodwin, Galladay etc. 

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Yeah I completely agree however I think this offseason is going to be very unique. We have a ton of cap space with the majority of the league going to struggle to get below the cap so there’s an advantage for JD to take.
For me I’d be more inclined to go after the big name on the o-line like a Thuney but with this offseason being so different I would go big on a receiver like ARob, Goodwin, Galladay etc. 

Thuney I think is a lock but as far as receiver goes I can’t see him spending big. I think he’ll grab a tier 2/3 guy and some depth unless a top FA WR comes at a deal Joe likes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Thuney I think is a lock but as far as receiver goes I can’t see him spending big. I think he’ll grab a tier 2/3 guy and some depth unless a top FA WR comes at a deal Joe likes.

Yeah I think that would be a mistake. I think the need for a bonafide #1 receiver is so apparent and factor in our cap room and the elite opportunities we will have this free agency I’d like Joe to do some business.