Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

9 minutes ago, xrade said:

True, but he also admitted to a mistake with Robby. He is learning. We will not go nuts in FA ala Mac and Tanny, but upgrades will be made. It may just not be all the upgrades many fans desire.

He's not learning anything from not re-signing Robby. Mims and Perriman battled injuries but both flashed at times and with better QB play and health who really knows. I think he still takes the slow and steady approach and seeks value and depth like he did last year and internally we see increased production from guys like Becton, Hall, QWill, JFM, Mims, Herndon, etc...This is year 1 of a whole new staff so he's not in a rush.

32 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He's not learning anything from not re-signing Robby

I disagree. He realizes he should of paid the extra $ to keep him. He may realize that you can’t be too cheap. I am not suggesting he would turn into Mac and vastly overpay, but if in the course of negotiating the two sides are close, it is not always best to dig in your heels. Sometimes you may have to pay a little extra. 

7 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I don't think we will be out of it at all. We are one of the teams that will have questions at quarterback into Week 1 of the regular season. Therefore, we will always be a trade option for Watson and the Texans imo.

If we draft a QB at 2, we would still be a possibility. If we trade that pick for more draft capital, we would still be a possibility. If we still have Darnold, we would still be a possibility, and if we trade him for more picks, we would still be a possibility.

THis is a pipe dream. The #2 pick is really the only thing that makes us a good trade partner for them. 

36 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

THis is a pipe dream. The #2 pick is really the only thing that makes us a good trade partner for them. 

Douglas referred to trading for Watson as "going down the rabbit hole"... that's basically saying it's a fantasy. 

The GM who believes in building through the draft will not trade all his draft capital for 1 player. It's great to imagine but Douglas isnt thay kinda GM.

The 1 MAJOR wrinkle here is Woody Johnson.  He is def more than likely to request Douglas try and land Watson, or even possibly demand it. 

2 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Douglas referred to trading for Watson as "going down the rabbit hole"... that's basically saying it's a fantasy. 

The GM who believes in building through the draft will not trade all his draft capital for 1 player. It's great to imagine but Douglas isnt thay kinda GM.

The 1 MAJOR wrinkle here is Woody Johnson.  He is def more than likely to request Douglas try and land Watson, or even possibly demand it. 

That is exactly my point. It isnt happening. I would bet the house we are drafting a QB at 2. 

I think the probability of us drafting a quarterback at No. 2 is less than 50%, imo. I think the trade down is far more realistic, and keeping Darnold or trading him for a veteran QB is also on the table.

Simply drafting a QB at No. 2 is not our best option, when that pick is as valuable right now as it appears to be (as doumeyer has been saying for weeks now).

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think the probability of us drafting a quarterback at No. 2 is less than 50%, imo. I think the trade down is far more realistic, and keeping Darnold or trading him for a veteran QB is also on the table.

Simply drafting a QB at No. 2 is not our best option, when that pick is as valuable right now as it appears to be (as doumeyer has been saying for weeks now).

Last year Douglas said he considers Franchise QBs untouchable. 

This year he said he's answering the call on Darnold. 

That boy gone. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Last year Douglas said he considers Franchise QBs untouchable. 

This year he said he's answering the call on Darnold. 

That boy gone. 

Does appear that’s what will happen. I still think it’s the wrong move. Bc I see us not doing anything to move the needle much in FA and we lose that valuable draft pick to help a QB at 2. So I just don’t see anything next year being much improved besides coaching. And even thats a guess.

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Does appear that’s what will happen. I still think it’s the wrong move. Bc I see us not doing anything to move the needle much in FA and we lose that valuable draft pick to help a QB at 2. So I just don’t see anything next year being much improved besides coaching. And even thats a guess.

I think the we as fans have to realize that we aren't building on what we did last year, this is an entire new project and because of that there is still a process of laying the foundation down. Now sure I prefer bringing a QB into a team with a solid foundation already but it isn't always plausible. 

8 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think I'm the value is 100% dependent on how much the Jets like Zach Wilson. 

Chris Simms loves him, and with his track record in qb's, that's more than enough for me. 

Take Wilson at #2. Trade Darnold for a conditional 2022 pick (1st to 2nd dependent on playing time). And then grab the best WR/RB/OT at #23.

Picking this early is a rarity for most teams. That's why it's usually prudent to grab a QB when your teams in these spots. 

The Jets shouldve easily been 4-12 this year. So our record is a bit of a gift. Chances are we are better than 4-12 next year, which will prob knock us out of the top 10. 

Also finances will dictate a lot. Darnold as 1 yr left anyway. Truthfully, I wanted to trade down originally but I think Wilson makes too much sense at #2. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

I think I'm the value is 100% dependent on how much the Jets like Zach Wilson. 

Chris Simms loves him, and with his track record in qb's, that's more than enough for me. 

Take Wilson at #2. Trade Darnold for a conditional 2022 pick (1st to 2nd dependent on playing time). And then grab the best WR/RB/OT at #23.

Picking this early is a rarity for most teams. That's why it's usually prudent to grab a QB when your teams in these spots. 

The Jets shouldve easily been 4-12 this year. So our record is a bit of a gift. Chances are we are better than 4-12 next year, which will prob knock us out of the top 10. 

Also finances will dictate a lot. Darnold as 1 yr left anyway. Truthfully, I wanted to trade down originally but I think Wilson makes too much sense at #2. 

I will say again...if they go QB at No. 2, I am fine with it as long as that player does not start Week 1.

For me, it is vital that they bring the kid along slowly so as to avoid all of the past pitfalls that have plagued this organization for decades. 

26 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I will say again...if they go QB at No. 2, I am fine with it as long as that player does not start Week 1.

For me, it is vital that they bring the kid along slowly so as to avoid all of the past pitfalls that have plagued this organization for decades. 

I think it’s ok to start them week 1 IF we give that QB pieces to succeed. Which I question. We go out and sign Thuney, a top WR, upgrade at RB and use other valuable draft picks on offense. Then I’m all for starting the rookie. We bring in a few tier 2 and 3 guys on offense (Perriman, Lewis, GVR, Gore). We probably should even put a QB back there Bc we wasted yet another season 😉 

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Ehh, I disagree. If he's ready then he's ready and we also have to be mindful he's a rookie so there's always going to be an adjustment period. It also depends on who's the back up. No one wants to watch CJ Beathard week 1.