Must Win: Week 6 GDT - Raiders v Chargers

SilverNBlackFan

j17c44.jpgj17c44.jpg

Week 6 is here. Lets get some discussion going for this must win game for both teams.

How will DC look coming back? Will there be any limitations or change in play style to his game like there were last year when he injured his pinky? He's a very cautious guy so we'll see. He will not have the luxury of easing his way back into it imo, as he will have to score quite a bit to keep pace with Phillip Rivers. We need him to have a vintage DC game and save our season.

Can the defense/ST make a game changing play? I don't have much reason to be optimistic about our defense slowing the Chargers offense. They have big, tall, fast receivers who will almost certainly get behind our slow secondary for big chunk plays. Melvin Gordon is probably the best RB we've faced all year so he'll have a good game. But can the defense make a game changing play? A sack on third down deep in their own territory, a strip, a big return from J30 or Cpat. Rivers is prone to throwing picks so maybe we can get one.

Will the Oline bounce back?  Regardless of what PFF #'s say, this offensive line has regressed stunningly so far this year. No push in the running game, struggling to pick up blitzes, getting physically whooped at the line of scrimmage. Donald Penn in particular looks like a shell of himself. We need this unit to play up to their contracts this week, as they will be tested by the Chargers pass rush. Melvin Ingram and Bosa will both eat if this oline plays like it has during the first five games, and our QB will be hurt again.

Is this the week Amari breaks out? He has had two of the better games in his career against them. Get him the ball 

I heard Carr will play this Sunday.  I've also heard it's a matter of pain tolerance for him.  I'm not too enthusiastic about this but desperate entities do desperate things and this is a desperate time.  One could say there's plenty of time with 11 games remaining.  Do they want to lose 4 in a row?   The pain issue could or will cause accuracy problems and we're already having problems catching.

A friend of mine in the Bay Area said the Raiders had scheduled a 2 hour practice yesterday but concluded it after an hour due to the poor air quality from the nearby fires.  I've been exposed to ash in the air and had a bad allergic sinus reaction that lasted for 4 days.  I hope that doesn't happen to any of the players.

8 minutes ago, S&B Bleeder said:

I heard Carr will play this Sunday.  I've also heard it's a matter of pain tolerance for him.  I'm not too enthusiastic about this but desperate entities do desperate things and this is a desperate time.  One could say there's plenty of time with 11 games remaining.  Do they want to lose 4 in a row?   The pain issue could or will cause accuracy problems and we're already having problems catching.

A friend of mine in the Bay Area said the Raiders had scheduled a 2 hour practice yesterday but concluded it after an hour due to the poor air quality from the nearby fires.  I've been exposed to ash in the air and had a bad allergic sinus reaction that lasted for 4 days.  I hope that doesn't happen to any of the players.

And Carr is still trying to get over a bad Flu/cold.

Anyways, yeah I don't like that he is playing this week but also if he thinks that he could be ready for the KC game, having this game as a rust removal makes some kind of sense. I just have this feeling that this is gonna get worse before it gets better if he rushes back, no pun intended.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

And Carr is still trying to get over a bad Flu/cold.

Anyways, yeah I don't like that he is playing this week but also if he thinks that he could be ready for the KC game, having this game as a rust removal makes some kind of sense. I just have this feeling that this is gonna get worse before it gets better if he rushes back, no pun intended.

You think we could beat LA with EJ Manuel?

On defense...

-Shutdown Gordon. Their offense revolves around him.

-Keep the Gates and Henry in check. Our LBs are banged up so we need to lock down Phil's safety valves.

-Get to Rivers to force turnovers. Interior o-line is terrible and we'll need pressure from Vanderdoes and company.

On offense...

-Attack deep. Boston and Addae are the safeties and Hayward is their only good corner.

-Get the running game going. They're dead last in rush yds allowed

-Protect Carr. Bosa, Liuget, and Ingram will bring heat.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This is not a must win. 

I actually think we will lose this game, still finish 9-7, and get the last wildcard spot. 

Lose this game, we drop to last place in the division and 0-2 in the division staring at 0-3 with the Chiefs coming to town.

I don't see how people don't see this as a must win. Just glance at our second half schedule.

1 minute ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

And yet all we scored was 17 points... EJ is a solid backup but he's not keeping pace with Phillip Rivers against this defense.

Maybe...Maybe not. But I'd rather take that chance then the chance Carr comes back too early and really messes something up or prolongs the amount of time he will have to deal with the pain. Rather him let it heal.

Read that Carr was going to start this Sunday, think it was a Schefty tweet.  Luckily for us, the AFC West wild card race for the 6th team is pretty much the Steelers at 3-2, who play the Cheifs. So even having gotten a bad start, we can still run the rest of the season from not too far behind the playoff pack. 

On 10/14/2017 at 5:47 AM, NickButera said:

Read that Carr was going to start this Sunday, think it was a Schefty tweet.  Luckily for us, the AFC West wild card race for the 6th team is pretty much the Steelers at 3-2, who play the Cheifs. So even having gotten a bad start, we can still run the rest of the season from not too far behind the playoff pack. 

Yes, the fact other potential wildcard challengers in the AFC are also playing so poorly right now helps us out.

We've been unexpectedly weak this season, but so have the Steelers and Titans, who were primed to be playoff teams. Chiefs will stroll this division, and after that the wildcard spots are going to be close, as there are no other standout teams who won't win a division. The Broncos are looking good for a spot right now, but I don't think they're a particularly great team, so by no means a guarantee.

By that virtue, this isn't must win. But 4 losses in a row and a 2-4 start with a tough stretch approaching wouldn't fill me with much hope.

Archived