In light of today, Linsley gets paid

HeresAGuy

8 minutes ago, Cheesehead430 said:

Linsley is gone.

King is obviously gone.

Jones is the only one who I could see being brought back and do we really want to pay a RB top notch $$$? 

I am not sold on King being gone Jones likely that's why we drafted a RB early i would think obviously. Gute's mentor usually took a replacement a year prior to the FA year. With that said King will depend greatly on a DC's thoughts on his work and skill set. With the cap being possibly lower this year it's possible that some of these guys may struggle after the first wave of FA. But all 3 of these guys will be of interest to allot of teams.  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

He's a no brainer to keep.  Lindsley.  Not sure how you do it, but you gotta try and you gotta try hard.  Life's a lot easier with him in there.  Especially if we are breaking in a new guard next to him (Runyan).

You still have Elgton Jenkins...

They won't be able to keep Linsley.  They drafted Jake Hanson they will probably dip OL in the draft as well.  If we were flush with cap space maybe Gute would take a shot.  We can't afford him and should be able to find a suitable replacement.  Not a premium position.  Worse comes to worse yes we can always slide Elton in there.  Someone is going to pay him big.  We just don't have the resources.  He's as good as gone. 

17 hours ago, Cheesehead430 said:

Linsley is gone.

King is obviously gone.

Jones is the only one who I could see being brought back and do we really want to pay a RB top notch $$$? 

It will all depend upon if Jones is offered ridiculous money by another team this offseason.

I was down on Jones all year. Thought for SURE we would pay Linsley and maybe King.

After the game i knows it’s almost a sin to suggest it but I’m on board with letting them all walk sans Jones. I know that sounds crazy but AJ is a huge part of why our offense was off the charts this year. If we want to repeat our success and lead the league again I can’t help but think he needs to be back with a reworked Rodgers contract. We drafted a C. Our line is DEEP as hell. We will be getting Lane Taylor back and Bahk next year plus the emergence of Turner and Jenkins, also Runyon was drafted. I don’t think we can spend our -27 million on Linsley.

1 hour ago, Siman08/OH said:

I was down on Jones all year. Thought for SURE we would pay Linsley and maybe King.

After the game i knows it’s almost a sin to suggest it but I’m on board with letting them all walk sans Jones. I know that sounds crazy but AJ is a huge part of why our offense was off the charts this year. If we want to repeat our success and lead the league again I can’t help but think he needs to be back with a reworked Rodgers contract. We drafted a C. Our line is DEEP as hell. We will be getting Lane Taylor back and Bahk next year plus the emergence of Turner and Jenkins, also Runyon was drafted. I don’t think we can spend our -27 million on Linsley.

AJ is a unique enough talent with his elusiveness/vision, balance, and versatility, that I may have made an exception for bringing him back and overlooked the typical drawbacks (non-premium position that ages poorly). But with the unprecedented league salary cap circumstances & the Dillon pick, I can’t see it. AJ’s also got a lot of mileage on him from college. If they really need the depth, they could bring Williams back for much cheaper. 

14 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

If they really need the depth, they could bring Williams back for much cheaper. 

If they need the depth?

How is that even a question? After AJD the cupboard is bare. I'm hoping Williams returns.
He's a good role player - that can fill in as an essential player when/if needed - who seems to accept his role.

51 minutes ago, Leader said:

If they need the depth?

How is that even a question? After AJD the cupboard is bare. I'm hoping Williams returns.
He's a good role player - that can fill in as an essential player when/if needed - who seems to accept his role.

Plenty of teams have no-name vets & rookies as backup RB’s. Many years, GB hardly even had 1 quality RB, much less 2, & they kept trucking on offense. I’m all for bringing Williams back *at the right price*, but there are other options. 

2 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Plenty of teams have no-name vets & rookies as backup RB’s. Many years, GB hardly even had 1 quality RB, much less 2, & they kept trucking on offense. I’m all for bringing Williams back *at the right price*, but there are other options. 

Agree. I dont think JW has a huge offer in his future - but - history is not our savior here and does not apply IMO.
We're at the door NOW. We either do it NOW - or drop back / retrench and make another run.

JW's not a main cog - true - but I'm hoping he's inexpensive enough to where he remains a cog and we can address other areas.

I like AJD - no question - but he's only flashed at this level. Can he hold up at this level as the bell cow? He certainly did in college - but the NFL isnt college - and again, we dont want to be AJD or bust in the backfield.

Not now.