In light of today, Linsley gets paid

HeresAGuy

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree. I dont think JW has a huge offer in his future - but - history is not our savior here and does not apply IMO.
We're at the door NOW. We either do it NOW - or drop back / retrench and make another run.

JW's not a main cog - true - but I'm hoping he's inexpensive enough to where he remains a cog and we can address other areas.

I like AJD - no question - but he's only flashed at this level. Can he hold up at this level as the bell cow? He certainly did in college - but the NFL isnt college - and again, we dont want to be AJD or bust in the backfield.

Not now.  

I don't know.  That "stopped at the line but let me drag the Buc's entire #1 rushing defense another six yards" certainly demonstrated his ability to execute at NFL playoff level.  Perhaps he just needs more pass blocking skills.  He needs an offseason.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Agree. I dont think JW has a huge offer in his future - but - history is not our savior here and does not apply IMO.
We're at the door NOW. We either do it NOW - or drop back / retrench and make another run.

JW's not a main cog - true - but I'm hoping he's inexpensive enough to where he remains a cog and we can address other areas.

I like AJD - no question - but he's only flashed at this level. Can he hold up at this level as the bell cow? He certainly did in college - but the NFL isnt college - and again, we dont want to be AJD or bust in the backfield.

Not now.  

Agreed.  He's probably getting something no more than $3.5M.  I the contract Mike Davis got a few years ago from Chicago (2 years, $6M) is a pretty fair estimation for Williams.  The question I have is Jamaal Williams going to want to return as RB2 or does he go somewhere else?  You have to figure that if Aaron Jones leaves, the Packers are going to turn to AJ Dillon more.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  He's probably getting something no more than $3.5M.  I the contract Mike Davis got a few years ago from Chicago (2 years, $6M) is a pretty fair estimation for Williams.  The question I have is Jamaal Williams going to want to return as RB2 or does he go somewhere else?  You have to figure that if Aaron Jones leaves, the Packers are going to turn to AJ Dillon more.

True - but do you really think some other organization looks at JW and sees a #1?

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably not.  I think in a best case scenario for Jamaal Williams, you find a team who is willing to use him in a two-back system.

That's kinda where he is no? I mean......the AJ/JW split probably isnt 50/50 - but how many teams actually split it down the middle like that? 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

That's kinda where he is no? I mean......the AJ/JW split probably isnt 50/50 - but how many teams actually split it down the middle like that? 

52/40, but that's probably splitting hairs at this point.  My question is who does AJ Dillon play like more, Jones or Williams?  AJ Dillon eats more snaps out of Jamaal Williams IMO, so I think you're looking at a "smaller" RB in the draft.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

My question is who does AJ Dillon play like more, Jones or Williams?  AJ Dillon eats more snaps out of Jamaal Williams IMO, so I think you're looking at a "smaller" RB in the draft.

Thats the big unknown. I think AJD can get it done....minus the quick breaks outside and gone.

And.....we definitely need to supplement the position - with a viable player (not some Dexter Williams "maybe") via the draft.

In a manner of speaking......I dont want the position to drop back regards importance, production & contribution to the offense.
We might not want to pay for that production.....but I'm not in favor of going cheap AND dropping back in production. In other words: you get what you pay for. 

Edited by Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats the big unknown. I think AJD can get it done....minus the quick breaks outside and gone.

And.....we definitely need to supplement the position - with a viable player (not some Dexter Williams "maybe") via the draft.

In a manner of speaking......I dont want the position to drop back regards importance, production & contribution to the offense.
We might not want to pay for that production.....but I'm not in favor of going cheap AND dropping back in production. In other words: you get what you pay for. 

AJ Dillon is probably a true feature back if you believe in him as a receiver and he can develop pass blocking.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

AJ Dillon is probably a true feature back if you believe in him as a receiver and he can develop pass blocking.

I think he's shown he's both capable and....fearless is probably the wrong word............willing (LOL) in the passing game.

And......as stout a guy as he is and as willing as he's shown to bring it to potential tacklers.....I think he'll be able to hold his own in pass blocking.

Just draft that third guy.......a capable guy. We've had a nice run of luck....but RBs get injured fairly often.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:18 PM, CWood21 said:

52/40, but that's probably splitting hairs at this point.  My question is who does AJ Dillon play like more, Jones or Williams?  AJ Dillon eats more snaps out of Jamaal Williams IMO, so I think you're looking at a "smaller" RB in the draft.

I couldn't agree with this more. I actually think that Dillon was probably supposed to replace JW going into this year (was a career 3.8 YPC guy going into this year), but JW took a little jump. Throw in JW with his passing game experience/AJ Dillon missing 5 weeks kind of derailed the transition.