Let’s talk Free Agents

pwny

25 minutes ago, pwny said:

If you’re going to build a large portion of your offense around RPO, option routes, and other new looks like people think we will, you cannot hinge your entire offense’s ability to run those plays on only having one player who can do those things. If Shenault gets injured, we’re really going to throw away 15% of our playbook?

At least now our shiny new QB can throw the playbook with a tight spiral as well?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pwny said:

Outside of someone like Curtis Samuel, who we would hopefully use in a number of gadget ways, I really think us targeting any of the #2 guys is a big mistake. We really don't have the #1 type guy that will give them the looks they need to be successful.

Yeah.  We're still really in that sort of situation where the piece we're lacking is that true, bona fide #1WR to slot everyone else in place.  Otherwise, we're just kinda collecting #2/3 guys who all really need a better target above them on the depth chart to draw attention and open some things up to really get the absolute most out of them.  And realistically...that's the type of piece you find in the draft (or trade, if you have a broken down RB to trade to Bill O'Brien or something).  Not in FA.

7 hours ago, pwny said:

If you’re going to build a large portion of your offense around RPO, option routes, and other new looks like people think we will, you cannot hinge your entire offense’s ability to run those plays on only having one player who can do those things. If Shenault gets injured, we’re really going to throw away 15% of our playbook?

Indeed.  Let's hope they can move past the previous regime's notion that you just put your roster together and assume everyone and every key piece is going to be perfectly healthy all year long with no fallback plan.

1 hour ago, Chops013 said:

He’s not a Free Agent (till next year) but I couldn’t find a more appropriate thread. Orlando Brown Jr tweeted that he is a LT, which was followed up by this JLC (I know) tweet.

Think I would be all over that.

I'd flip them a 2 this year for him or a conditional 3 that goes 2 if we re-sign/tag him

On 1/25/2021 at 8:11 PM, pwny said:

I would highly hope we don't use qb runs/options.  No need to get Lawrence hit on runs. 

12 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Having multiple guys who can beat u multiple ways allows real creativity.  Imagine a double reverse with shenault throwing to Lawrence

I don’t want to imagine that.. I want my QB to be good enough to beat you without gimmick plays. Some RPO should be implemented it’s apart of today’s game and it allows throwing windows to open when you suck up safeties at the threat of run especially if you have a dynamic QB who is a magician with the football. But I’m not trying to get creative to the point where Law is catching reverse wheel routes. 

• Like 1

Harbaugh has talked up Judon/wanting to keep him, but they also have to pay Yan.

I wonder if Cullen/Orr try to push for him. Would likely be a solid vet to help bring along Chaisson/Allen and give us someone who's worked in that defense for a while.

36 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Opinions on Will Fuller?

The numbers for the Deshaun/Nuk connection were better with Fuller on the field than when he wasn’t and Watson’s numbers were better with Nuk+Fuller than any other combo. This year, Watson’s numbers with Fuller were significantly worse than without him.

It would seem to suggest that Fuller provides the best offense-wide value when he’s a complimentary piece alongside a dominant WR.

I don’t see the fit for us. 

• Like 1

That seems to be the case for most of the #2 type WRs on the market as well. They’re not really guys who make an offense better unless the receiver opposite them is a true #1 cornerstone WR that can take over games. And I really don’t see Chark as that.

I think our market should be finding one of those cornerstone guys and/or guys who play the oddball roles like you’d expect Samuel and Shenault to be playing. And leave all the true #2 types to get overpaid by teams who are trying to make more of them than they are. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pwny said:

The numbers for the Deshaun/Nuk connection were better with Fuller on the field than when he wasn’t and Watson’s numbers were better with Nuk+Fuller than any other combo. This year, Watson’s numbers with Fuller were significantly worse than without him.

It would seem to suggest that Fuller provides the best offense-wide value when he’s a complimentary piece alongside a dominant WR.

I don’t see the fit for us. 

The thought here is that the Jaguars could make a bigger move this offseason at receiver than many expect, and that the focus could be on making sure the addition adds speed to a talented group.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/quick-thoughts-three-positions-to-watch

that was from Johnny O. That’s why I asked about Fuller (speed). He has the ability to play in the slot as well. We do need to get faster on offense.

• Like 1

I also don’t really know what they’re going to do with Shenault. He seemed to play better outside than in the slot this year from the metrics I’m seeing, but I also am not exactly sure that the staff is going to feel great about having Chark and Shenault as the two outside WRs. 

3 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

The thought here is that the Jaguars could make a bigger move this offseason at receiver than many expect, and that the focus could be on making sure the addition adds speed to a talented group.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/quick-thoughts-three-positions-to-watch

that was from Johnny O. That’s why I asked about Fuller (speed). He has the ability to play in the slot as well. We do need to get faster on offense.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he was a target, for the speed reason (same reason I just said in the other thread that I’m not sure RB is off the table at 25 if they can use it to inject some speed on the roster). But I don’t think his value fits our actual need.

I feel like if he landed here, it’d be a less extreme version of what happened with Laurent Robinson. bringing in complimentary pieces when you don’t have the elite guy for them to be a compliment to tends to end up as not a great signing. But teams do it a lot, so I wouldn’t be shocked to see us do it. 

10 minutes ago, pwny said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if he was a target, for the speed reason (same reason I just said in the other thread that I’m not sure RB is off the table at 25 if they can use it to inject some speed on the roster). But I don’t think his value fits our actual need.

I feel like if he landed here, it’d be a less extreme version of what happened with Laurent Robinson. bringing in complimentary pieces when you don’t have the elite guy for them to be a compliment to tends to end up as not a great signing. But teams do it a lot, so I wouldn’t be shocked to see us do it. 

Wouldn’t shock me either. Nelson Agholor is a guy that intrigues me as well. Would add that speed element we are looking for. Doubt he would cost that much either.