Let’s talk Free Agents

pwny

5 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

I don’t think he’ll have much of a choice when it’s all said and done unless he wants to retire, but regardless I don’t see us waiting around to fill that role while he comes to terms with the fact that no team wants him as a starter anymore. 

Think he'd pick a place with a bad QB situation though. Sitting behind Lawrence...no chance for PT.

6 hours ago, pwny said:

Yup. Like who knows if Chaisson is going to take a step forward and be able to complete his sacks; for all his growth and increase in pressure rate down the stretch, he has one career sack. If you’re legitimately comfortable for him to be your #2 pass rusher next year with no one else there to pick up his slack, you’re asking for a disaster.

Who knows if what Allen did as a rookie was solely a product of having Yan and Calais on the team. You’d hope not, but in his limited time healthy as the #1 pass rusher this year, he wasn’t exactly good. As a fan, you want to believe that those are just small sample size/growing into the role/a bad season/Todd Wash’s trash scheme that will account for all the issues, but when you’re building a team, you cannot rely one perfect outcomes from all your players.

That mindset is a large reason why our team has been garbage for so long; a guy does well in the last couple games, or looks solid as a backup, or has one season where he takes a step as an okay player, and then we treat the player’s position as if he’s a guaranteed #1 option there and that we need no one else behind him to pick up slack or to be there in case of injury. If Urban and co. decide to continue that tradition, we’re in for a lot more trash football, even if Allen and Chaisson end up being a good duo. 

You really can’t say in one place that we need to add to the defense to make sure Trevor doesn’t need to score 30+ every single game and then suggest we don’t need to add pass rushers. 

i feel Chaisson will be better as hes playing a More Natural Position for him then being a full-time hand in the dirt 4-3 end. 

i feel allen is better then what he showed as this year he had pretty much no help and was also a bit injurprone but i dont think throwing a long-term deal to a Position where we have 2 HIGH draft picks is the best way to right the ship.  

i also feel this EDGE draft class has some real good fits in in the early stages.  i would rather see what Chaisson can do in a more natural position then to throw money at a potential edge.  i would rather get our Secondary fixed(u could argue we need 3 new starters at the very least plus a new NB.) i would also rather ivest in getting our 3-4 DL set up as im not liking our current group to play the positions that are under contract.  

Hamilton fits as a NT but outside of that u got Russel(who has shown very lil in 2 years and would likely be a NT type), Costin(im not sure hes considered long enough to be a 3-4 end. 

we need to end up getting 2 3-4 ENDs and 2 new safeties and 2 CBs(1 nb and 1 starter) in some sort of FA and Draft. 

15 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i feel Chaisson will be better as hes playing a More Natural Position for him then being a full-time hand in the dirt 4-3 end. 

i feel allen is better then what he showed as this year he had pretty much no help and was also a bit injurprone but i dont think throwing a long-term deal to a Position where we have 2 HIGH draft picks is the best way to right the ship.  

And you were convinced last year that Allen and Chaisson meant we had no need for Yan. You argued vehemently that Allen would be perfectly fine as the #1 with no talent around him.

Eventually we need to stop leveraging the entirety of a season’s success on a single player who “can maybe be better” at every important position. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pwny said:

And you were convinced last year that Allen and Chaisson meant we had no need for Yan. You argued vehemently that Allen would be perfectly fine as the #1 with no talent around him.

Eventually we need to stop leveraging the entirety of a season’s success on a single player who “can maybe be better” at every important position. 

You also need to realize this team ain't contending for the playoffs next year.  I see us as 8 wins assuming we hit in the draft and fa.  Makes no sense to throw 18 million for 3-4 years on an edge when we have 2 high upside guys who need to show their stuff.  This team has too many holes to fill to be a playoff team with not enough resources to fix all these supposed problems.

To me spending 18 million on an edge who prior to the bucs was deemed expendable by the brpncos seems stupid like signing ivory to that contract or like signing goff/wentz to those extensions.

Do I think we need to get a vet to push them sure but not a long-term deal. 

Edited by LinderFournette

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

You also need to realize this team ain't contending for the playoffs next year.  I see us as 8 wins assuming we hit in the draft and fa.  Makes no sense to throw 18 million for 3-4 years on an edge when we have 2 high upside guys who need to show their stuff.  This team has too many holes to fill to be a playoff team with not enough resources to fix all these supposed problems.

And Urban Meyer isn’t going to just shoot for being an 8 win team. He’s going to try to build a team that can compete for the playoffs. 

And given the rookie pay scale, years 1-4 are the best possible years to win a title. I’m not wasting one of those years on hoping a guy with 1 sack can be a star. If the team is not maximizing the roster talent at the most important positions before they have to pay Trevor $40M a year, they’re idiots. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pwny said:

And Urban Meyer isn’t going to just shoot for being an 8 win team. He’s going to try to build a team that can compete for the playoffs. 

And given the rookie pay scale, years 1-4 are the best possible years to win a title. I’m not wasting one of those years on hoping a guy with 1 sack can be a star. If the team is not maximizing the roster talent at the most important positions before they have to pay Trevor $40M a year, they’re idiots. 

The bolded seems to be more and more of a reality every year right? While Brady and BB might be the greatest QB/HC combo ever, there's something to be said for him taking a massive pay cut most years later on and unless another high profile QB is willing to do it, it makes competing with a good QB not on a rookie deal very difficult. 

12 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The bolded seems to be more and more of a reality every year right? While Brady and BB might be the greatest QB/HC combo ever, there's something to be said for him taking a massive pay cut most years later on and unless another high profile QB is willing to do it, it makes competing with a good QB not on a rookie deal very difficult. 

Yup. Outside of Peyton, the only QB to make his first Super Bowl not on a rookie or cost controlled deal over the latest era was Matt Ryan. Every other QB was either on their rookie deal or getting paid well below market level. And most of them never got back to a title game after their cost controlled years ended.

Building the team with the intent of maybe going 8-9 if everything goes right next year isn’t going to cut it. We need to be in the Super Bowl by year 3 or 4, or we’re probably not getting into one during Trevor’s career. And that starts by maximizing every single year he’s here. 

I agree. They will have to really build now whole Trevor is on his rookie deal. There will be plenty of talent who will want to play for the Jags. They won't have issue getting people to want to come. We are not that far removed from when they were "Sackonville" and it seemed they couldn't be stopped. 

Not saying they going there but with the massive cap space and tons of picks --- this team have a chance to really turn it around in 2 years. They have plenty pieces already.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Yes but the reasonable expectation is 8 wins. 

If I'm the jags I'm targeting guys who want a short-term deal or young guys.  

We need guys that are starting caliber along the dl and I see 1 hamilton and costin would be a solid backup at end.  Outside that not much talent there.  

That should be a bigger priority then finding a 3rd edge rusher. 

Edited by LinderFournette

51 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Also worth noting he's going against a not real lt and a makeshift ol

Good thing he has the most QB hits over the last two years, so you know it isn’t a product of that.