Let’s talk Free Agents

pwny

You guys are probably going to disagree with me on this, but if we could get Alex Smith in here, Beathard would be pretty much expendable in my eyes.  At that point, we would have the best mentor we could ask for.  Then we could keep Minshew as a backup!  :)  He could actually win us a couple games if he had to go in there and play for a short stretch.  From everything I've heard from Niners fans, Beathard can't do that.  Gardner is really inexpensive and does have some starting experience under his belt, so there is a way to keep everyone happy, why not keep him.  I know this is probably a long shot, but I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Gardner is really inexpensive

Ehhh, with contract construction as it is now, that's not as true as it was.

He's set to make $1.815M total over the next two years, and yeah that's small. But that would also coincide with a $2.5M cap casualty on Beathard's contract, netting a total of $4.315M over the next two years for the transactions of keeping Minshew+getting rid of Beathard. 

Beathard's contract over the next two seasons is $5M, and Minshew's dead cap is $95k. so the difference between the two contracts is $780k more to keep Beathard, assuming you can't get someone to just take on that little bit in Minshew contract. And given cap structure, it's completely negligible.

Then you have all the other benefits, like getting a draft pick that could help the team build depth elsewhere. Or not having a guy who is going to complain to the media about how he should be a starter if things aren't going well. Or not having a guy who hides injuries from the team's medical staff despite them clearly causing harm to the team's ability to win. Or having a guy that the fanbase is connected to and might create a divide if Trevor struggles early on.

I know I was never a proponent of Minshew Mania or anything and maybe that gives me a different viewpoint, but I really don't see how he holds any value at all for this team.

8 hours ago, pwny said:

Ehhh, with contract construction as it is now, that's not as true as it was.

He's set to make $1.815M total over the next two years, and yeah that's small. But that would also coincide with a $2.5M cap casualty on Beathard's contract, netting a total of $4.315M over the next two years for the transactions of keeping Minshew+getting rid of Beathard. 

Beathard's contract over the next two seasons is $5M, and Minshew's dead cap is $95k. so the difference between the two contracts is $780k more to keep Beathard, assuming you can't get someone to just take on that little bit in Minshew contract. And given cap structure, it's completely negligible.

Then you have all the other benefits, like getting a draft pick that could help the team build depth elsewhere. Or not having a guy who is going to complain to the media about how he should be a starter if things aren't going well. Or not having a guy who hides injuries from the team's medical staff despite them clearly causing harm to the team's ability to win. Or having a guy that the fanbase is connected to and might create a divide if Trevor struggles early on.

I know I was never a proponent of Minshew Mania or anything and maybe that gives me a different viewpoint, but I really don't see how he holds any value at all for this team.

I guess I just look at as a situation that is somewhat similar to when Tim Tebow was playing for the Broncos and they brought Peyton Manning to town.  The Tebow detractors claimed that Tebow fans would be calling for him to play.  I just don't see how anyone in their right mind could possibly have said that it would have made sense to put Tebow into the lineup when you have one of the greatest QB's who has ever played the game on the roster.  This is coming from one of the biggest Tim Tebow fans on this site too, by the way.

As far as the situation in Jacksonville is concerned, even though Trevor is still an unproven rookie, he is unquestionably a far better prospect with an immensely higher upside than Gardner Minshew could ever hope to provide.  Even if Trevor struggles for a while, I can't imagine how even the biggest Minshew maniacs could try to say he would be a better option.  Trevor would have to implode like nothing we have ever seen before.  That's just not going to happen.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I guess I just look at as a situation that is somewhat similar to when Tim Tebow was playing for the Broncos and they brought Peyton Manning to town.  The Tebow detractors claimed that Tebow fans would be calling for him to play.  I just don't see how anyone in their right mind could possibly have said that it would have made sense to put Tebow into the lineup when you have one of the greatest QB's who has ever played the game on the roster.  This is coming from one of the biggest Tim Tebow fans on this site too, by the way.

As far as the situation in Jacksonville is concerned, even though Trevor is still an unproven rookie, he is unquestionably a far better prospect with an immensely higher upside than Gardner Minshew could ever hope to provide.  Even if Trevor struggles for a while, I can't imagine how even the biggest Minshew maniacs could try to say he would be a better option.  Trevor would have to implode like nothing we have ever seen before.  That's just not going to happen.

And what did Denver do with Tebow when they signed Manning, knowing that they could probably swap him out for some valuable draft capital?

Just now, JiffyJag said:

And what did Denver do with Tebow when they signed Manning, knowing that they could probably swap him out for some valuable draft capital?

Exactly, and I think this was a massive blunder on Elway's part, JiffyJag.  They had a guy who did a lot of good things in his first year as a starter.  I know his issue was his throwing motion, but with all the positive he brought to the table, why not keep him around as a backup to Peyton? 

Sure, it can be pointed out that they were able to get a little draft capital by trading him, but Peyton was only going to be around for 2-3 years.  What was their plan after that?  They shipped him out and they are still looking for a QB all these years later. 

Our situation is different because #1), I'm not near as high on Minshew as I was on Tebow, and #2), Trevor will hopefully be our starter for the next 15+ years.  Still, it just seems that unless we can get a 3rd round pick or more for him, it's kind of a waste to get rid of an insurance policy at the most important position that we already have on the roster. 

If I'm being completely honest, I just like the kid a lot.  He's a real character and he has a lot of moxie.  I could see him being one of the better backup QB's in the league.  When you have one of the best starters in the league, it never hurts to have a decent backup too.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Exactly, and I think this was a massive blunder on Elway's part, JiffyJag.  They had a guy who did a lot of good things in his first year as a starter.  I know his issue was his throwing motion, but with all the positive he brought to the table, why not keep him around as a backup to Peyton? 

Sure, it can be pointed out that they were able to get a little draft capital by trading him, but Peyton was only going to be around for 2-3 years.  What was their plan after that?  They shipped him out and they are still looking for a QB all these years later. 

Yeah but Peyton in 2013 still had more years left in the NFL than Tebow......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JiffyJag said:

I probably shouldn't argue with people when it comes to Tebow and Minshew.  I know I'm going on emotion with a lot of my arguments.  It's hard to argue with someone like that - even with facts.  :D

55 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

Yeah. Gotta say, I really doubt the Broncos are kicking themselves for getting rid of a player who has thrown 8 passes in the 8 years since they moved on from him. 

20 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

You guys are probably going to disagree with me on this, but if we could get Alex Smith in here, Beathard would be pretty much expendable in my eyes.  At that point, we would have the best mentor we could ask for.  Then we could keep Minshew as a backup!  :)  He could actually win us a couple games if he had to go in there and play for a short stretch.  From everything I've heard from Niners fans, Beathard can't do that.  Gardner is really inexpensive and does have some starting experience under his belt, so there is a way to keep everyone happy, why not keep him.  I know this is probably a long shot, but I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed.

If Trevor gets hurt do we want to win many games though? Unless it means an actual shot at the playoffs assuming Trevor can be healthy for it. I guess we dont want Urban to lose the team if they start to lose a ton with injuries

On 4/18/2021 at 10:09 AM, pwny said:

I also wouldn’t count on this being the case, but it’s worth not ruling out — Alex Smith could be at a position in his career that when this all shakes out and ge realizes that a starting opportunity is gone, he may not want to be a benchwarmer and instead might be willing to move into a small coaching role. Getting him into the QB room to mentor and teach without putting him on the salary cap, given he’s unlikely to throw in a game for us anyway, could be a huge boon. 

👀👀👀

Let’s go