Let’s talk Free Agents

pwny

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If Trevor gets hurt do we want to win many games though? Unless it means an actual shot at the playoffs assuming Trevor can be healthy for it. I guess we dont want Urban to lose the team if they start to lose a ton with injuries

I guess I'm thinking more of a couple years down the road.  If we are on the verge of getting into the playoffs or securing home field advantage, being able to win a couple of games could be huge for us.  If Trevor is out for an extended period of time, you're right.  We'd be done for the season. 

38 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If he signs with us as a coach I’d like the winning lotto numbers oh great one

Ha haa. Can’t help you there. Just connecting some dots. He didn’t seem like the type of guy who wants to be a guaranteed backup; you don’t work that hard to get back into the game if you’re okay just riding the bench.

And then the rest of it is just realizing how much love Urban has for Alex Smith. He talks about him more positively than anyone he’s ever coached, so of course he’d find a spot for him. And it just so happens that we don’t actually have anyone in the building with the *QB Coach* title. Almost like Urban was holding out the spot for Smith. 

27 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I guess I'm thinking more of a couple years down the road.  If we are on the verge of getting into the playoffs or securing home field advantage, being able to win a couple of games could be huge for us.  If Trevor is out for an extended period of time, you're right.  We'd be done for the season. 

There’s no circumstance where he would be here a couple years down the road, though. Why would he re-sign here to be a guaranteed backup when he’s made it abundantly clear he wants to be given a chance to be a starter?

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

There’s no circumstance where he would be here a couple years down the road, though. Why would he re-sign here to be a guaranteed backup when he’s made it abundantly clear he wants to be given a chance to be a starter?

You're probably right.  I guess my only hope would be that nobody gives him an offer to be a starter and he decides being a backup to Trevor Lawrence for several hundred thousand dollars a year isn't a bad gig.  Like you said though, it's probably not a realistic hope.  With all the QB needy teams out there, someone will probably take a flyer on him and give him a shot.

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

Ha haa. Can’t help you there. Just connecting some dots. He didn’t seem like the type of guy who wants to be a guaranteed backup; you don’t work that hard to get back into the game if you’re okay just riding the bench.

And then the rest of it is just realizing how much love Urban has for Alex Smith. He talks about him more positively than anyone he’s ever coached, so of course he’d find a spot for him. And it just so happens that we don’t actually have anyone in the building with the *QB Coach* title. Almost like Urban was holding out the spot for Smith. 

That's the thing that makes the whole scenario of him coming here as a QB coach of some type realistic.  He and Urban do have a history together, and who wouldn't want to live in Florida?

On 4/19/2021 at 10:55 AM, Uncle Buck said:

You're probably right.  I guess my only hope would be that nobody gives him an offer to be a starter and he decides being a backup to Trevor Lawrence for several hundred thousand dollars a year isn't a bad gig.  Like you said though, it's probably not a realistic hope.  With all the QB needy teams out there, someone will probably take a flyer on him and give him a shot.

I think being realistic...even if it comes down to Minshew not getting any real offers to be the "starter"...there are always teams out there with less secure QB position than the team that just drafted a guy #1 Overall.  Places where someone like Minshew is more likely to find a way to at least get his foot in the door and try to push it open to create another opportunity to start games when someone else struggles.

There are always teams out there stuck in QB Purgatory or worse, flailing around desperately for any sort of solution, but without the draft capital to take that route.  I think "Minshew Mania" has pretty well run it's course in Jacksonville...but it could certainly get a second wind somewhere else where a fanbase is tired of their poor quarterback play and willing to embrace something silly like that.  Just like the days where the fanbase here turned to...Chad Henne as some sort of potential solution.  Or the way a number of teams have embraced "Fitzmagic" over the years.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think being realistic...even if it comes down to Minshew not getting any real offers to be the "starter"...there are always teams out there with less secure QB position than the team that just drafted a guy #1 Overall.  Places where someone like Minshew is more likely to find a way to at least get his foot in the door and try to push it open to create another opportunity to start games when someone else struggles.

There are always teams out there stuck in QB Purgatory or worse, flailing around desperately for any sort of solution, but without the draft capital to take that route.  I think "Minshew Mania" has pretty well run it's course in Jacksonville...but it could certainly get a second wind somewhere else where a fanbase is tired of their poor quarterback play and willing to embrace something silly like that.  Just like the days where the fanbase here turned to...Chad Henne as some sort of potential solution.  Or the way a number of teams have embraced "Fitzmagic" over the years.

I'm late to the party, so I'm still having fun with Minshew Mania, but I'm sure it will be a thing of the past for me in 6 days.  Drafting a QB like Trevor Lawrence will do that to a guy.  :)

22 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm late to the party, so I'm still having fun with Minshew Mania, but I'm sure it will be a thing of the past for me in 6 days.  Drafting a QB like Trevor Lawrence will do that to a guy.  :)

I mean hey...as long-suffering Jaguars fans, we're also very new to having a QB prospect to get as excited about as Lawrence.  Literally never had one.  So that's probably colouring perspectives from that end too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean hey...as long-suffering Jaguars fans, we're also very new to having a QB prospect to get as excited about as Lawrence.  Literally never had one.  So that's probably colouring perspectives from that end too.

Yeah, most of us had to talk ourselves into projects like Gabbert/Bortles with their obvious warts. 

Really weird feeling right now still.

• Like 2