Let’s talk Free Agents

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If Trevor gets hurt do we want to win many games though? Unless it means an actual shot at the playoffs assuming Trevor can be healthy for it. I guess we dont want Urban to lose the team if they start to lose a ton with injuries

I guess I'm thinking more of a couple years down the road.  If we are on the verge of getting into the playoffs or securing home field advantage, being able to win a couple of games could be huge for us.  If Trevor is out for an extended period of time, you're right.  We'd be done for the season. 

38 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If he signs with us as a coach I’d like the winning lotto numbers oh great one

Ha haa. Can’t help you there. Just connecting some dots. He didn’t seem like the type of guy who wants to be a guaranteed backup; you don’t work that hard to get back into the game if you’re okay just riding the bench.

And then the rest of it is just realizing how much love Urban has for Alex Smith. He talks about him more positively than anyone he’s ever coached, so of course he’d find a spot for him. And it just so happens that we don’t actually have anyone in the building with the *QB Coach* title. Almost like Urban was holding out the spot for Smith. 

27 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I guess I'm thinking more of a couple years down the road.  If we are on the verge of getting into the playoffs or securing home field advantage, being able to win a couple of games could be huge for us.  If Trevor is out for an extended period of time, you're right.  We'd be done for the season. 

There’s no circumstance where he would be here a couple years down the road, though. Why would he re-sign here to be a guaranteed backup when he’s made it abundantly clear he wants to be given a chance to be a starter?

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

There’s no circumstance where he would be here a couple years down the road, though. Why would he re-sign here to be a guaranteed backup when he’s made it abundantly clear he wants to be given a chance to be a starter?

You're probably right.  I guess my only hope would be that nobody gives him an offer to be a starter and he decides being a backup to Trevor Lawrence for several hundred thousand dollars a year isn't a bad gig.  Like you said though, it's probably not a realistic hope.  With all the QB needy teams out there, someone will probably take a flyer on him and give him a shot.

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

Ha haa. Can’t help you there. Just connecting some dots. He didn’t seem like the type of guy who wants to be a guaranteed backup; you don’t work that hard to get back into the game if you’re okay just riding the bench.

And then the rest of it is just realizing how much love Urban has for Alex Smith. He talks about him more positively than anyone he’s ever coached, so of course he’d find a spot for him. And it just so happens that we don’t actually have anyone in the building with the *QB Coach* title. Almost like Urban was holding out the spot for Smith. 

That's the thing that makes the whole scenario of him coming here as a QB coach of some type realistic.  He and Urban do have a history together, and who wouldn't want to live in Florida?