A trade proposal...

whodatworm23

A trade proposal...

So... I have been Mike Thomas's staunchest supporter on here recently but even I am willing to admit when I'm getting to my wits end with his mouth.

Yes we all know of Brees lack of arm strength was a major factor in the loss to the Bucs but Thomas has now went so far as to basically say thats the reason he was shut down in the divisional round. 

True or not its yet another example of Thomas throwing shade at Brees, this time on his way out the door and to cover his own bad play.

I'm just about done...

So I propose a trade, let me know what yall think and if yall would be willing to pull the trigger.

Saints trade 2021 1st and 3rd round picks and 2022 1st round pick plus Mike Thomas to the Dolphins for the 3rd overall selection in 2021.

Yes this is a steep price to pay but jumping from 28th to 3rd overall cost a ton. The Dolphins are in a prime position to make a run and will be looking hard at reviever with the 3rd pick anyway. Thomas would give them a top target in his prime with additional premuim draft picks to continue to fill out the roster.

For the Saints, they get a clearly disgruntled player out the locker room, off the books and out the NFC. At the same time they jump all the way from 28th in the draft to leapfrong division rival Atlanta at 4 to get the #3 selection where they could possibly land the 2nd or at lest the 3rd best QB in this draft (presumably Justin Fields or Zach Wilson).

Thoughts...

Thomas has made some dumb, typical diva WR decisions all throughout his time here, and honestly, I wouldn't mind moving on from him.  He's already just this year got into a fight in practice and apparently got into it with the coaches.  I was almost ready to move on then.

He was a good player, but I question how much it's worth keeping around if he's going to continue his shenanigans.  We won plenty of games this year without him, losing him wouldn't be the end of the world.

28 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Thomas has made some dumb, typical diva WR decisions all throughout his time here, and honestly, I wouldn't mind moving on from him.  He's already just this year got into a fight in practice and apparently got into it with the coaches.  I was almost ready to move on then.

He was a good player, but I question how much it's worth keeping around if he's going to continue his shenanigans.  We won plenty of games this year without him, losing him wouldn't be the end of the world.

Second this. It's been fun watching him play in New Orleans, but if trading him means landing a future franchise QB....bon voyage Mike. 

And it's not that he's entirely wrong, but he's only making himself look worse, not Brees.  Let the fans and the analysts be critical of Brees play, it's not his place.  The fact that he would do that along with his other shenanigans makes me think he's not a team player.  And he insults my intelligence by feeling like he needs to explain Brees shortcomings to me.

By the same token though, if you want people to call you the best receiver in the NFL, you need to do things that the best receivers would do, and he oftentimes doesn't.  

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

And it's not that he's entirely wrong, but he's only making himself look worse, not Brees.  Let the fans and the analysts be critical of Brees play, it's not his place.  The fact that he would do that along with his other shenanigans makes me think he's not a team player.  And he insults my intelligence by feeling like he needs to explain Brees shortcomings to me.

By the same token though, if you want people to call you the best receiver in the NFL, you need to do things that the best receivers would do, and he oftentimes doesn't.  

Exactly...

Look, great player no doubt about it but if we could package him in a trade to get into the top 10 that lands us either Zach Wilson or Trey Lance... Im doing it!

His contract isn't tradeable this year. As much as I would like to be able to trade into the Top 3 to grab one of the QBs I don't think it's realistic. That and I still think he's a huge part of our offense. If there are any issues next season then it makes much more sense to trade him after that when his contract is more moveable.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

His contract isn't tradeable this year. As much as I would like to be able to trade into the Top 3 to grab one of the QBs I don't think it's realistic. That and I still think he's a huge part of our offense. If there are any issues next season then it makes much more sense to trade him after that when his contract is more moveable.

Granted trading Thomas would bring little in cap relief (1.2 mil) and we'd still have to carry his cap hit in 2021 but his value would come in the trade landing us a franchise QB we could sit for a year behind Taysom Hill. Take the bullet in 2021 and begin 2022 with a young franchise QB with a year in the system and money to spend.

26 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Granted trading Thomas would bring little in cap relief (1.2 mil) and we'd still have to carry his cap hit in 2021 but his value would come in the trade landing us a franchise QB we could sit for a year behind Taysom Hill. Take the bullet in 2021 and begin 2022 with a young franchise QB with a year in the system and money to spend.

I'm all for it.  However, WR does become a sure priority at that point. Although I think the offense will still be potent with Kamara, Trautman, Trequan, Marquez, Sanders. 

Taysom will need to learn how to throw a touch pass which is probably asking too much.

So you have us trading around 4 first round picks for the #3 pick?  Nah no thanks.  I'd rather keep Thomas, all of our picks, and see how happy he is after there is a QB that can throw more than 10 yards consistently behind center.  Also why do we care what he says about Brees anymore.  Brees is no longer on the team.  He can be as disgruntled and "honest" about how he feels to his heart content and it won't ruin the locker room because Brees IS NOT THERE.

17 minutes ago, Raves said:

So you have us trading around 4 first round picks for the #3 pick?  Nah no thanks.  I'd rather keep Thomas, all of our picks, and see how happy he is after there is a QB that can throw more than 10 yards consistently behind center.  Also why do we care what he says about Brees anymore.  Brees is no longer on the team.  He can be as disgruntled and "honest" about how he feels to his heart content and it won't ruin the locker room because Brees IS NOT THERE.

Agreed. Payton and Loomis will handle it if they feel he's out of line. Having Thomas for a new QB, Winston or a rookie, will be good for his development. We all saw the separation other WRs are capable of getting....none

As it currently stands, it would be silly to trade Thomas with what we know. Not a huge deal (a bit tacky) to call out a guy who now is likely going to be "a former teammate" (after the season). It's obvious and likely didn't need to be said, but he wasn't really wrong either. Our offense was limited with Brees behind center. Now if behind the scenes he has become a bigger distraction/attitude issue than we currently know about, sure it may make sense to trade him, but as it currently stands with his contract/our salary cap situation, not having a guy that can come close to replicating his production, him being right in the middle of his prime, and likely being more fired up than ever to show be dominant, it seems like a bad time to trade him if he isn't a huge distraction or attitude problem in the locker room. He will be a key to our next QB's success. Long story short, unless there is more we don't know about his situation, it would be a terrible decision to trade him at this point.

6 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Agreed. Payton and Loomis will handle it if they feel he's out of line. Having Thomas for a new QB, Winston or a rookie, will be good for his development. We all saw the separation other WRs are capable of getting....none

You know what Paytons history is with disgruntled players and how he handles them?

Hes either cut them or traded them. Remember we dont know how deep this goes. It wasnt just Thomas being shady with Brees, he also exploded on Payton after a pratice and then once again when handed his punishment for punching out CGJ.

Now Thomas has had his lost season due to injuries and now is lined up for multipule leg surgeries this offseason all at the same time the big money in his deal is starting to hit.

I get that its a long shot hes traded but it sure smells like the Jimmy Graham situation all over again to me. Remember, when Graham was traded it was a big shock and he was still Brees #1 guy who was very similar to Thomas in this offense. Payton didn't hesitate.

54 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

You know what Paytons history is with disgruntled players and how he handles them?

Hes either cut them or traded them. Remember we dont know how deep this goes. It wasnt just Thomas being shady with Brees, he also exploded on Payton after a pratice and then once again when handed his punishment for punching out CGJ.

Now Thomas has had his lost season due to injuries and now is lined up for multipule leg surgeries this offseason all at the same time the big money in his deal is starting to hit.

I get that its a long shot hes traded but it sure smells like the Jimmy Graham situation all over again to me. Remember, when Graham was traded it was a big shock and he was still Brees #1 guy who was very similar to Thomas in this offense. Payton didn't hesitate.

And that's fine, but we are trading effectively 4-5 first round picks just to move up to #3 and what draft Thomas' replacement?  

13 minutes ago, Raves said:

And that's fine, but we are trading effectively 4-5 first round picks just to move up to #3 and what draft Thomas' replacement?  

Well... Are we?

I never looked at it like that.

Your swappin the 28th pick for the 3rd so Thats a push.

Then yes we give up our 2022 1st and a 3rd as a kicker in 2021.

Then what is your honest value on Thomas. Sorry, I dont see two first. Disgruntled, injured, high cap hit... Talented hell yes but some of that lowers his value which I think is a 1st and a 3rd.

So actually its 2 first and 1 first swap plus two 3rds as far as value as I see it.

9 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Well... Are we?

I never looked at it like that.

Your swappin the 28th pick for the 3rd so Thats a push.

Then yes we give up our 2022 1st and a 3rd as a kicker in 2021.

Then what is your honest value on Thomas. Sorry, I dont see two first. Disgruntled, injured, high cap hit... Talented hell yes but some of that lowers his value which I think is a 1st and a 3rd.

So actually its 2 first and 1 first swap plus two 3rds as far as value as I see it.

OBJ was disgruntled, injured pretty sure, and high cap hit and got a mid 1st, 3rd, and a former 1st round pick...  Also who are you taking at #3?  A QB?  Devonte Smith?

I'd rather trade Thomas for a similar value as OBJ.  With a mid-1st you'll probably have access to Fields/Wilson/Lance without a doubt, then at #28 you can still get a good WR prospect, or you use the mid-1st on a top WR prospect and use #28 and some of the additional assets to move up for a QB that might be dropping but high on.  Either way trading all the way up to #3 makes 0 sense.

So if we decide trading with Miami is still the right decision, I'd rather try for #18, #39, and #41 from them or some other combination of #18 + other picks.