Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

I'm over the loss (mostly), and want to think about ways to get better next season. One of those is getting rid of Pettine and bringing in a new Defensive Coordinator. 

Who would you like to see as the new DC, and why? I get that "the garbage guy" is a popular statement right now with what we saw, but let's actually throw some realistic names out there. Do we stay within the organization, or do we go outside? To we use a retread, or try an up and comer? Someone currently in the NFL or college? 

Edited by BluePacker
Pettine is now gone

Someone else. 

Despite the second half improvements, today was a disgrace and all too familiar. You can't okay football for half a game. I even said in the game day thread when Rodgers was a acked just before the pick that I didn't mind so long as we didn't give the Bucs the ball back. 

What was it, 36 seconds? I'll never get over that one, and he has to go. Not just for one play, but for the pattern. We all knew it was happening, and happen it did. 

Looking at direct and indirect connections to LaFleur those coaches would've been an option but unfortunately all were recently hired to other teams:

Raheem Morris, Jeff Ulbrich, DeMeco Ryans, Dan Quinn, Joe Woods, Richard Smith, Frank Bush, Joe Barry 

Viable Options:

Wade Phillips - on same staff with LaFleur at Rams.  However at 73 years old it would go against LaFleur's youth movement if his coaching hires is anything to go by.

Kris Richard - coached in Seattle with LaFleur's old boss Dan Quinn and Robert Saleh. He's a big name candidate and is very available. He will definitely be on the radar.

Jim Leonard - Only because he is familiar with Pettine's scheme and he might be able to build upon the foundations laid down by Pettine.

Greg Manusky- vast coordinating experience, worked with McVay. No direct connection to LaFleur.

Lou Spanos - currently coordinator at UConn. On staff with LaFleur at Redskins. Was at Titans but missed each other by a year.

Perry Fewell - Experienced coach with coordinating experience at Bills and Giants. Worked with McVay at Redskins but no direct connection to LaFleur.

Aubrey Pleasant - DB coach at Rams, knows LaFleur from Rams and Redskins.

Marquand Manuel - Former Packer. He was on same staff as LaFleur at Atlanta in 2015. Was coordinator at Falcons before being fired in 2018. Unlikely candidate for coordinator though.

Johnny Holland - a name older Packers fans should recognise. Worked alongside both LaFleur and Shanahan. Now 54 years old, not sure if he has the chops to be coordinator.

Tyrone McKenzie - very familar with LaFleur from Rams and Titans but probably too early for him to take the next step up to coordinator.

Jim Haslett - was Redskins coordinator when LaFleur was QB coach.

The list of names is somewhat underwhelming, It wouldn't surprise me though if LaFleur hires someone who he has no prior connection with. He done it before with several members of his staff. People like Chris Hewitt (Baltimore), Eric Washington (Buffalo),  Teryl Austin (Pittsburgh),  Alan Williams (Indianapolis), Larry Foote (Tampa), Jerod Mayo (New England) are possible candidates.

Edited by Chili

2 minutes ago, Striker said:

I'll be happy with the new DC not being a Williams/Capers/Pettine type retread. 

I see Leonhard's name come up a lot but, admittedly, I haven't watched enough Badgers football to know if he would be a good choice.

Jimmy Leonard gets a lot out of those kids in Madison. 

• Like 1

Just now, Striker said:

I'd rather run naked across Lambeau during a snowstorm.

Pretty much my thoughts. Leonard runs the same coverage ****. He runs a little heavier personnel, but the back end is the same, just simplified for the college game. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Pretty much my thoughts. Leonard runs the same coverage ****. He runs a little heavier personnel, but the back end is the same, just simplified for the college game. 

Is that by choice or by necessity based on the caliber of CB he has to work with?

Just now, squire12 said:

Is that by choice or by necessity based on the caliber of CB he has to work with?

Not sure, not sure I particularly care that much. If I'm going to bring somebody in, I want it to be somebody who's going to easily transition their scheme into one that I want. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Give me Ross off this Bucs staff

I don't know any names.    but a profile I want is the following:  young and not a retread old dude.  I want someone that is willing to sit with MLF and discuss how NFL offenses target defenses and vice versa.  I am fine if the DC is only here for 2-3 years because he develops a tip tier unit and gets a HC gig.  

• Like 2