Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Man likes long corners pressing and playing vertically. 

I've got nothing against that.  Aggressive, in your face coverage corners? Give me more of them.
Not sure that describes King to a T though.

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've got nothing against that.  Aggressive, in your face coverage corners? Give me more of them.
Not sure that describes King to a T though.

Alexander doesn’t fit the Richard mold at CB and he’s been known to be extremely stuck in his ways when it comes to those specifications.

6 hours ago, Chili said:

If we're looking to Kansas for inspiration it should be noted that the highly experienced Andy Reid decided to hire an experienced defensive coordinator retread to get his defence ready immediately for another Superbowl run and it paid off handsomely. A rookie defensive coordinator probably would've needed more time to see results. Reid was lucky enough to hire one who won a superbowl as coordinator before.

I have to think LaFleur is thinking the same as he needs the defence heading in the right direction quickly as possible whilst the superbowl window is still open and with that in mind it does perhaps suggest we might look to hire an experienced coordinator.

Unlike Reid, LaFleur will find it much harder to find an ex-superbowl winning coordinator that is readily available and at the right age. There are some talented coordinator retreads to consider such as Teryl Austin, Kacy Rodgers, Perry Fewell, Jerry Gray and obviously Wade Phillips at a ridiculous age of 74.

Of course there are many ways to skin a cat. What works for them doesn't necessarily mean it will work for us. Its all about the right fit even if that means a hiring a first time coordinator.

This is a ridiculously well-measured response. Go figure it has no likes...

3 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

This is a ridiculously well-measured response. Go figure it has no likes...

G figure you point out the “no likes” on a “ridiculously well-measured response” and didn’t take the time to like the post yourself. Funny how that works eh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

Alexander doesn’t fit the Richard mold at CB and he’s been known to be extremely stuck in his ways when it comes to those specifications.

Not sure what "stuck in his ways when it comes to those specifications" means in terms football play.

I dont necessarily need long CBs. Height certainly can come in handy, but aggressive, out to contest/win every down coverage guys? My kind of DB. Jaire isnt tall - thats obvious - but he's certainly a gamer/battler. We could use one of him on the other boundary. 

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not sure what "stuck in his ways when it comes to those specifications" means in terms football play.

I dont necessarily need long CBs. Height certainly can come in handy, but aggressive, out to contest/win every down coverage guys? My kind of DB. Jaire isnt tall - thats obvious - but he's certainly a gamer/battler. We could use one of him on the other boundary. 

It means that Richards is stuck in his ways about his H/W requirements at the DB position in order to play in his schemes 

• Like 1

Those three names have strong coverage backgrounds. Seems like that’s what LaFleur wants to emphasize.

Also really interesting is the contrast to McCarthy’s own firing of a DC after two seasons. He really lamented choosing a first time DC because he felt he had to handhold Bob Sanders too much. That’s why he chose former HC and DC Dom Capers. Looks like LaFleur isn’t nearly as concerned about choosing first time coordinators considering the interviews of Harris and Evero.