Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

I'm very surprised to see Chris Harris getting an interview. He only been defensive backs coach for one year. A quick glance doesn't appear to show any prior connection to LaFleur so he must've come highly recommended for LaFleur to consider giving him an interview. It's maybe just me but i'm not a fan of coaches who get fat, especially whilst they're still young. I'm a strong believer in practicing what you preach. He's only 38 years old, only finished his NFL career not that long ago and he already got man boobs and he's a defensive back not some fat defensive lineman. I want my defensive coordinator to show some mental fortitude.

Slightly surprised to see Joe Barry name come up considering he just took on a new job with the Chargers. He is someone LaFleur is familar with having worked with him at the Rams. Technically he is a coordinator retread having been coordinator at Redskins. I've just watched the video above and i'm not feeling it with him, a coordinator should be more than just yelling encouragements.

Ejiro Evero is somehow the least surprising of the three. LaFleur knows him from his time with the Rams and he also spent time as a coach with the Packers under McCarthy so there's some familiarity here with the organisation. However you have to ask some questions why Brandon Staley who left to become HC with the Chargers did not take Evero with him. McVay also chose to hire Morris as his replacement instead of Evero. He essentially been passed over twice by people who knew him best. Looking at his coaching history what stood out was it took him a decade in the NFL to finally become a position coach, that is an extremely slow career progression, he was stuck doing quality control and being an assistant coach so that is a cause for concern over his competence and personality.

So much for my predictions. There were about 8 coaches in my head who I thought were extremely viable DC candidates and none of those three were on my list. To be fair four of the names on my list are on the superbowl teams so we will have to wait longer before they are available for an interview 😄

Interesting start by LaFleur but essentially not particularly encouraging. I'm hoping he will eventually interview better candidates.

Edited by Chili

Weird criticisms. Too fat? Staley took one guy with him but that’s not a positive, didn’t take another but that’s a negative. One guy rose too fast the other too slow..

Feel like this is the Moneyball scene where the scouts are talking about the players girlfriend being ugly.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Weird criticisms. Too fat? Staley took one guy with him but that’s not a positive, didn’t take another but that’s a negative. One guy rose too fast the other too slow..

Feel like this is the Moneyball scene where the scouts are talking about the players girlfriend being ugly.

You're probably right! 😄

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I'm sure there is a poster here that will get to finding pictures of those coaches significant others

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Out of those 3, Evero would be my No. 1. Barry has been a DC for 4 seasons prior to this and I believe his defenses were bottom 5 every year. No thanks.

just from a personality stand point, chris harris is my preferred guy of those 3. barry seems like a boring retread, which is something we'd do. harris a fun former player i don't know **** seems like a decent guy, maybe a good coach? evero seems like a boring religious zealot that will draw up some good stuff but is bland as **** and bring no juice. 

harris, evero, barry is how i'd rank those 3 personally based off nothing besides me watching some youtube interviews and looking at their wiki's. 

I've discovered an interesting, yet very important tidbit.

When Ejiro Evero was at Tampa Bay in 2007 as defensive quality control coach, their offensive quality control coach at the time was none other than Nathaniel Hackett.

This changes things for me as to how I view him as a potential DC candidate. Now we discover both LaFleur and Hackett has a prior working relationship with him. That's big. Throw in the fact was a quality control coach in Green Bay so there's people within the organisation who are also familiar with him too.

He has to be a candidate we all should be taking seriously.

Let's look at the coordinators he worked with, Monte Kiffin, Vic Fangio, Eric Mangini, Dom Capers, Wade Phillips and Brandon Staley. He has worked with position coaches Raheem Morris and Todd Wash who also went on to be coordinators so not a bad group to be associated with. He has been part of teams who went on deep playoffs runs and even made the trip to the Superbowl twice with the 49ers and Rams. However much of that time spent with those coaches was as a quality control or defensive assistant. It wasn't until he joined McVay he finally became a position coach.

Watching a media interview of him he comes across as softly spoken and cerebral. However he also does come across a bit of a dull personality and I wonder if he can command, motivate and teach a room full of players? I suspect that might be why he was passed over as a coordinator prospect with both McVay and Staley.

Edit: Having said all that I also discover that Joe Barry was also on the same staff at Tampa with Hackett.

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I've discovered an interesting, yet very important tidbit.

When Ejiro Evero was at Tampa Bay in 2007 as defensive quality control coach, their offensive quality control coach at the time was none other than Nathaniel Hackett.

This changes things for me as to how I view him as a potential DC candidate. Now we discover both LaFleur and Hackett has a prior working relationship with him. That's big. Throw in the fact was a quality control coach in Green Bay so there's people within the organisation who are also familiar with him too.

He has to be a candidate we all should be taking seriously.

Let's look at the coordinators he worked with, Monte Kiffin, Vic Fangio, Eric Mangini, Dom Capers, Wade Phillips and Brandon Staley. He has worked with position coaches Raheem Morris and Todd Wash who also went on to be coordinators so not a bad group to be associated with. He has been part of teams who went on deep playoffs runs and even made the trip to the Superbowl twice with the 49ers and Rams. However much of that time spent with those coaches was as a quality control or defensive assistant. It wasn't until he joined McVay he finally became a position coach.

Watching a media interview of him he comes across as softly spoken and cerebral. However he also does come across a bit of a dull personality and I wonder if he can command, motivate and teach a room full of players? I suspect that might be why he was passed over as a coordinator prospect with both McVay and Staley.

Edit: Having said all that I also discover that Joe Barry was also on the same staff at Tampa with Hackett.

deal jim GIF

Fangio? deal

Edited by Arthur Penske

MLF seems to want coaches who are excellent teachers. Coaching is really teaching. (IIRC Mike Holmgren was a math teacher before going into coaching.) So I suspect the number 1 attribute MLF will look for in the new DC is teaching ability.

The second thing to consider is how well the new DC will fit in with current defensive assistants that MLF wants to keep, and how much draw the new DC will have in attracting new assistant coaches to replace coaches MLF thinks should be replaced. This is something we cannot know, but will likely be discussed internally. In other words, the new DC has to fit in and be a draw for other coaches.

The final consideration is the system that the new DC will install. It has to work pretty well with current players on the roster. This is no time to rebuild the defense. Rodgers' window is closing and we need to win now. So I wouldn't look for someone who wants to switch to a radically different scheme that would require a lot of new players on defense. 

Now all we have to do is see who passes through those filters. Any guesses?

42 minutes ago, deathstar said:

After a few searches it’s pretty difficult to find interviews with Evero. He’s been toiling in obscurity for over a decade.

I managed to find two videos but I concede they were not easy to find:

https://www.49ers.com/video/coach-em-up-ejiro-evero-7019156

Edit: Found a 3rd video:

https://www.therams.com/video/the-staff-ejiro-evero-18590273

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1