Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

Bored. So I've decided to put faces to the names of defensive coordinator prospects. Just click on the quote boxes to view.

Kris Richard

1fa706fc812343929405d92da9e27bd4.jpg

Jim Leonard

636476415852031445-Jim-Leonhard.2.jpg

Chris Hewitt

imfghusjnohhhhqbwoir

Brendan Daly

swuzkyqwcn5vvn4dxohf

Dave Merritt

usatsi_4782714.jpg

Ejiro Evero

USATSI_14806716.jpg

Larry Foote

maxresdefault.jpg

Jerod Mayo

Mayo_Jerod_GettyImages-1183400866.jpg

Mike Caldwell

Cichy-Jack-Mike-Caldwell-Bucs-mini-camp.

Kacy Rodgers

kacy_rodgers.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Teryl Austin

20190822pdSteelers01-1571409429.jpg

Jerry Gray

iaevstuylkw8xap997ir

Jerome Henderson

USATSI_8833836_168380616_lowres.jpg

Brentson Buckner

usatsi_8171110.jpg

Marcus Robertson

usatsi_11871146_168382939_lowres.jpg

Joe Barry (I'm not sure if I have the right picture. It was difficult to pin down because it appears he has lost quite a bit of weight)

Before:

dzhdltz8qhyjctorvyxk

After:

Joe-Barrya.jpg

Scottie Hazelton

c31a8f0c-f211-42a0-8b2a-89925317b001-Haz

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Where is James Bletcher these days. I remember a few years back he was highly touted and is a Bowles disciple which might suit some here...

Was just hired with the 49ers as Senior Defensive Assistant.

Of course there's nothing stopping us from interviewing him like we did with Joe Barry but I suspect LaFleur won't out of respect to his friend Kyle Shanahan.

Just now, Chili said:

Was just hired with the 49ers as Senior Defensive Assistant.

Of course there's nothing stopping us from interviewing him like we did with Joe Barry but I suspect LaFleur won't out of respect to his friend Kyle Shanahan.

Oh shame. Right age. Liked him a lot. I do prefer the idea of someone who is young, fresh and up and coming. @Chiliyou got a take on either of these two guys whose name cropped up on the grapevine - Brendan Daly, KC Dline coach and Ben Bloom, defensive assistant Browns? 

On 1/25/2021 at 9:42 AM, squire12 said:

Looking at some options here 

Brendan Daly  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Daly_(American_football)   KC DL coach.  Was with NE from 2014 through 2018

Karl Dunbar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Dunbar      DL coach with PIT.   worked under Saban at Alabama 2016 and 2017

Dave Merritt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Merritt  Current DB coach with KC.  was with NYG during the 2007 and 2011 Super Bowls

Kacy Rodgers  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kacy_Rodgers     Current DL coach with TB.  Has some experience with Bill Parcells

@Brit Pack

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

Oh shame. Right age. Liked him a lot. I do prefer the idea of someone who is young, fresh and up and coming. @Chiliyou got a take on either of these two guys whose name cropped up on the grapevine - Brendan Daly, KC Dline coach and Ben Bloom, defensive assistant Browns? 

I've just had a sudden thought.

Quite often in-house coordinator candidates end up leaving when they don't land the DC gig. Either as a crushing blow to his ego or the new DC lets him go. If the new DC kept him he would have to work with a guy who may have felt he deserved the job and that would be a tricky minefield for the new guy to navigate. Much easier to part ways.

If Gray doesn't get the job I would not be surprised if he ends up leaving.

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If you watched the videos he said he and his wife were very happy to get back to the west coast after the one year stint in GB.  Who knows .. he probably wouldn't turn down a DC job.

I’m literally the one who pointed that out when you quoted it lol