Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Reasons?  Statement says nothing.

I have no faith in his success at a big ten school translating to the NFL. He’s a classic example of a hometown guy people feel a lot better about than they would if he coached at say Iowa 

14 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I have no faith in his success at a big ten school translating to the NFL. He’s a classic example of a hometown guy people feel a lot better about than they would if he coached at say Iowa 

Are there reasons you don’t think his success would translate? Like schematically break it down for me 

So what I’m reading in this forum is that folks don’t want a retread, he should be young not old, should have a plethora of coaching experience in the NFL, the Big 10 is or is not a viable proving ground, and he should come from a very specific coaching tree (Ryan, Kiffen, Pees, Phillips, etc).

We may be ****ed.

• Like 2

A few names to cross off my list:

Kris Richard Hired by the Saints as Defensive Backs coach
Tony Oden (Just hired as Jets senior defensive assistant/cornerbacks coach)
Marquand Manuel (Just hired with Jets as Safeties coach)
Bob Sutton (Hired as Jaguars senior defensive assistant)

59 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

His success as a Big Ten/top 10 nationwide D coordinator speaks for itself.  His experience as a quality all pro d back speaks for itself.  He's young, aggressive and energetic .. all good traits.  I'd take a chance on this "classic example" of a hometown guy than a lot of the old retreads that keep showing up.  Your faith is tough to satisfy.  

• Like 1

Just now, coachbuns said:

His success as a Big Ten/top 10 nationwide D coordinator speaks for itself.  His experience as a quality all pro d back speaks for itself.  He's young, aggressive and energetic .. all good traits.  I'd take a chance on this "classic example" of a hometown guy than a lot of the old retreads that keep showing up.  Your faith is tough to satisfy.  

I can agree with this.

However, I'm liking the idea of Matt Burke given the success of Philly's DL...

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

I can agree with this.

I posted this earlier:

I've soured on Matt Burke because as Miami's defensive coordinator he failed to get a very talented Miami defence to play well enough. He had the likes of Kiko Alonso, Cameron Wake, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Bobby McCain, Reshad Jones, Jerome Baker, Raekwon McMillan, Robert Quinn and Xavien Howard and he still could not get his defence to perform. They were ranked 29th in total defence. Yikes! If he can't do it with them what makes us think he can do it with our talented players?

I could just as easily be wrong about Leonhard. I won’t pretend to have a deep understanding of his philosophy but it’s a massive risk I really don’t feel is worth taking with the window we have left. If he ends up being in over his head, it’s going to take at least 2-3 seasons for him to get fired and I just don’t think we have that kind of time to figure it out. 

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

I can agree with this.

I  don't care if they hire Leonard or not ... just want the best aggressive coach who can scheme and utilize players to their fullest.  I trust the Packer brass to do so.

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I could just as easily be wrong about Leonhard. I won’t pretend to have a deep understanding of his philosophy but it’s a massive risk I really don’t feel is worth taking with the window we have left. If he ends up being in over his head, it’s going to take at least 2-3 seasons for him to get fired and I just don’t think we have that kind of time to figure it out. 

As opposed to a retread D coordinator whose been there and now back?   

9 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

That could literally happen with any of the DC choices lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I never said I wanted a retread either. 

That doesn't leave much in between to choose from then.  Can't have anybody "new without experience" and nobody "old" as a retread.  Again, I trust the Packer brass to do their due diligence and get the guy to do the job.