Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

11 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I could just as easily be wrong about Leonhard. I won’t pretend to have a deep understanding of his philosophy but it’s a massive risk I really don’t feel is worth taking with the window we have left. If he ends up being in over his head, it’s going to take at least 2-3 seasons for him to get fired and I just don’t think we have that kind of time to figure it out. 

I don't know .. I'd rather have a guy who has been a successful college DC over the defensive backs, or Dline coach.  Then you throw in that Leonhard is running a Rex Ryan/Mike Pettine 3/4 system and also had a nice 10 years NFL career.  I'm pretty sure there is no way he would be in over his head.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

That could literally happen with any of the DC choices lol

This is true. I’m just not nearly as convinced as most in this thread seem to be that Leonhard is going to make the jump and be the same kind of coach he’s been at UW for GB. Maybe it’s just because I hate the badgers and their yearly letdowns, but I don’t want that program near my professional team. 

Edited by Rodjahs12

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know .. I'd rather have a guy who has been a successful college DC over the defensive backs, or Dline coach.  Then you throw in that Leonhard is running a Rex Ryan/Mike Pettine 3/4 system and also had a nice 10 years NFL career.  I'm pretty sure there is no way he would be in over his head.

To say there’s no way he’d be in over his head is just disingenuous. Shutting out the likes of Illinois is great and all but it doesn’t do a damn thing for me against an NFL offense. 

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

This is true. I’m just not nearly as convinced as most in this thread seem to be that Leonhard is going to make the jump and be the same kind of coach he’s been at UW for GB. Maybe it’s just because I hate the badgers and their yearly letdowns, but I don’t want that program near my professional team. 

Seriously ... that's your reason?  LOL 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

This is true. I’m just not nearly as convinced as most in this thread seem to be that Leonard is going to make the jump and be the same kind of coach he’s been at UW for GB. Maybe it’s just because I hate the badgers and their yearly letdowns, but I don’t want that program near my professional team. 

Your entire take on Leonhard is, well, and I'll be nice here, simply not good. The only reason why you don't want him is because of Wisconsin football, not that he isn't a qualified legitimate candidate. You have some preconceived notion that a Wisconsin coach isn't good enough to be the Packers DC just because he's a Wisconsin coach. If anything, his ability to do what he's done at Wisconsin should be praised, not slandered. 

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Your entire take on Leonhard is, well, and I'll be nice here, simply not good. The only reason why you don't want him is because of Wisconsin football, not that he isn't a qualified legitimate candidate. You have some preconceived notion that a Wisconsin coach isn't good enough to be the Packers DC just because he's a Wisconsin coach. If anything, his ability to do what he's done at Wisconsin should be praised, not slandered. 

Ah yes I guess I’ll just agree with the rest of you then. Get him in the building! No point in a discussion.

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

Ah yes I guess I’ll just agree with the rest of you then. Get him in the building! No point in a discussion.

You haven't made a point, that's exactly the problem. Don't try to become a victim, dude. State your point as to why Leonhard isn't good enough.

This is all a sham we should all realise that Gray is the choice. It is the safest and most rational pick in this final Rodgers window. Can't spend two years getting the team up to speed.

You have had him in the building
He knows the players
Has ideas how to best utilise them
MLF chose him
Former DC
Defence doesn't need an overhaul, it was a top ten unit, it needs more aggression

If someone was to beat him out he would have to blow the Packers away

To say there’s no way he’d be in over his head is just disingenuous. Shutting out the likes of Illinois is great and all but it doesn’t do a damn thing for me against an NFL offense. 

To say he would be in over his head is disingenuous ... you have no clue whether he would or wouldn't be.   I'd feel a hell of a lot better with him than 75% of what is or may be available.  You don't like him, fine but don't trash him due to your dislike of the Badgers not playing to your liking.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

You haven't made a point, that's exactly the problem. Don't try to become a victim, dude. State your point as to why Leonhard isn't good enough.

I’ve said this like 3 times now but I guess I’ll say it again. Beating up on bottom feeders in the big ten is nice but it’s not going to convince me that it’s going translate. I also don’t think that it’s a coincidence that whenever Wisconsin plays an actual opponent, the defense comes right back down to earth as an average unit. It happened against Iowa this year, and Ohio state twice the year before. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The argument against Leonard is really simple. We don't have any idea what his scheme looks like in the NFL. 

Wisconsin's personnel groupings aren't applicable to the NFL. 11 personnel doesn't mean base defense. 10 personnel doesn't mean nickel. 

We don't know anything about his coverage scheme in the NFL. Was the off coverage he played religiously due to not having talent in the secondary, or was it because he believed in it as a methodology. 

We don't have any idea how varied his schemes are. Was it simple because that's all college players can remember and execute or was it simple because that's how he prefers to play?

• Like 1

I’ve said this like 3 times now but I guess I’ll say it again. Beating up on bottom feeders in the big ten is nice but it’s not going to convince me that it’s going translate. I also don’t think that it’s a coincidence that whenever Wisconsin plays an actual opponent, the defense comes right back down to earth as an average unit. It happened against Iowa this year, and Ohio state twice the year before. 

Then you have unrealistic expectations of what to expect from a Wisconsin DC and that's not Leonhard's fault. In his 3 matchups against Ohio State, he's held them to 27, 38 and 34 despite being severely out talented and his offense giving him 21, 7 and 21 (0 2nd half) and short fields.

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

This is all a sham we should all realise that Gray is the choice. It is the safest and most rational pick in this final Rodgers window. Can't spend two years getting the team up to speed.

You have had him in the building
He knows the players
Has ideas how to best utilise them
MLF chose him
Former DC
Defence doesn't need an overhaul, it was a top ten unit, it needs more aggression

If someone was to beat him out he would have to blow the Packers away

Some points for hiring him is there .. some not so.  They shouldn't be looking for the safest guy.  Just cuz he's in the building, so what?   How do you know he has the ideas to best use those players; has he told you?  Mlf picked him up to upgrade his staff nothing else.  Him being a former DC, is that good or bad?  Why isn't he still a DC?  The new DC won't more than likely be a 4-3 guy; will be a 3-4 guy to utilize the players there now.  Is Gray aggressive?  I do agree they need more situational aggression for sure.  Not sure Gray is the guy but somebody doesn't have to blow him away just because he's there now.  They need somebody to get them tougher, more aggressive and utilize what they have .. period.