Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The argument against Leonard is really simple. We don't have any idea what his scheme looks like in the NFL. 

Wisconsin's personnel groupings aren't applicable to the NFL. 11 personnel doesn't mean base defense. 10 personnel doesn't mean nickel. 

We don't know anything about his coverage scheme in the NFL. Was the off coverage he played religiously due to not having talent in the secondary, or was it because he believed in it as a methodology. 

We don't have any idea how varied his schemes are. Was it simple because that's all college players can remember and execute or was it simple because that's how he prefers to play?

Of course, I've even gone ahead ITT I believe and said I'd prefer to get away from the Rex Ryan tree, so it's not like I'm pounding the table for Leonhard. I just take ****ty arguments to heart. Things like "he could be in over his head" can be said about every single candidate. We don't know how any of their schemes will look. This isn't an argument solely to be made against Leonhard.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Then you have unrealistic expectations of what to expect from a Wisconsin DC and that's not Leonhard's fault. In his 3 matchups against Ohio State, he's held them to 27, 38 and 34 despite being severely out talented and his offense giving him 21, 7 and 21 (0 2nd half) and short fields.

Okay. If I’m hiring a college DC to a professional job, he’s going to have to impress me against real competition. 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The argument against Leonard is really simple. We don't have any idea what his scheme looks like in the NFL. 

Wisconsin's personnel groupings aren't applicable to the NFL. 11 personnel doesn't mean base defense. 10 personnel doesn't mean nickel. 

We don't know anything about his coverage scheme in the NFL. Was the off coverage he played religiously due to not having talent in the secondary, or was it because he believed in it as a methodology. 

We don't have any idea how varied his schemes are. Was it simple because that's all college players can remember and execute or was it simple because that's how he prefers to play?

Seriously, you know enough about football and players.  You are telling me you can't tell the Badgers secondary was average at best?  LOL.  The talent they have had on D except for LB was average at best and it was evident from the games they played.  

• Like 1

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

Okay. If I’m hiring a college DC to a professional job, he’s going to have to impress me against real competition. 

Again, that's your problem and has no basis in reality. Your standards aren't feasible because, somehow, holding Ohio State to sub 40 when your offense can't score for extended periods is a fault of Leonhard's. You used a game against Iowa as a fault. They scored 28 points and went 3-14 on 3rd down lol. 

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

And the same can be said about "pro" DC who isn't a retread.  Same for an assistant in the pros ... oh wait, he hasn't had that experience yet either.  

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Again, that's your problem and has no basis in reality. Your standards aren't feasible because, somehow, holding Ohio State to sub 40 when your offense can't score for extended periods is a fault of Leonhard's. You used a game against Iowa as a fault. They scored 28 points and went 3-14 on 3rd down lol. 

How about surrendering 24 to Illinois this season or 28 to Oregon? It isn’t just the big bad Buckeyes.

I really don’t have the knowledge to have a strong opinion on who would be the best choice .

I just know I do not want someone who has the ‘ bend but don’t break’ bull**** mentality . I want someone who plays with confidence . 

I also want someone who schemes around the players and not Vice versa. Put our playmakers in positions to make plays and what they do well. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

@Rodjahs12 Give me a viable collegiate DC then? I bet I can use your argument against all of them.

I generally don’t like seeing a college DC go straight to a DC job in the nfl. I feel better about it when they settle for a positional job and work their way up the traditional way. It’s a huge jump regardless of conference. 

Edited by Rodjahs12

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

How about surrendering 24 to Illinois this season or 28 to Oregon? It isn’t just the big bad Buckeyes.

Illinois had 315 yards and the Wisconsin offense gave them short fields with 3 turnovers. Oregon had 204 yards and the Wisconsin offense turned the ball over 4 times and muffed a punt. Oregon came into the game averaging 35 points.

Methinks you don't actually watch the games.

Illinois had 315 yards and the Wisconsin offense gave them short fields with 3 turnovers. Oregon had 204 yards and the Wisconsin offense turned the ball over 4 times and muffed a punt. Oregon came into the game averaging 35 points.

Methinks you don't actually watch the games.

This line of excuses will work out nicely when we’re eliminated from the playoffs after giving up 30 lol 

4 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Some points for hiring him is there .. some not so.  They shouldn't be looking for the safest guy.  Just cuz he's in the building, so what?   How do you know he has the ideas to best use those players; has he told you?  Mlf picked him up to upgrade his staff nothing else.  Him being a former DC, is that good or bad?  Why isn't he still a DC?  The new DC won't more than likely be a 4-3 guy; will be a 3-4 guy to utilize the players there now.  Is Gray aggressive?  I do agree they need more situational aggression for sure.  Not sure Gray is the guy but somebody doesn't have to blow him away just because he's there now.  They need somebody to get them tougher, more aggressive and utilize what they have .. period.

I just find in hiring, regardless of the NFL, if you have an internal candidate they are in a very strong position both emotionally and for a sake of consistency. Especially if they have done a good job in their exiting role. My point being if they go outside the organisation you have to be really convinced of the fact cos you can't screw this up. Whoever that candidate is they have just a got a few hours to put their case forward. If Gray ain't a dummy and is smart, articulate and charismatic enough he can state what is wrong with the defence and how he'll fix it. In many ways this is his job to lose, if he don't screw it up he should get the job.

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I generally don’t like seeing a college DC go straight to a DC job in the nfl. I feel better about it when they settle for a positional job and work their way up the traditional way. It’s a huge jump regardless of conference. 

Then, next time, how about starting with that and not the "you guys wouldn't care if he was at, say, Iowa" slant, yeah?

Then, next time, how about starting with that and not the "you guys wouldn't care if he was at, say, Iowa" slant, yeah?

My point about him being a hometown favorite still stands. His name wouldn’t have been mentioned in here if he coached anywhere but UW but I digress. I hope I’m wrong about him and like I said I easily could be, but I really don’t understand how the lot of you are so confident that the guy is going to work out.