Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

He had some previous NFL coaching experience though.

Briefly, with the Lions, over a decade ago, sure. You didn't specify either. He's the only current DC that's made the jump directly from college.

IRT, Leonhard, wasn't he basically a "coach on the field" type when he played, too? It's not like he's completely separated from the NFL game just because he didn't spend a year or two on a staff.

Regardless, of the list that we know of, I'd prefer Ryan Nielsen, I think. I know he almost took the LSU DC job and he coached Bradley Chubb and BJ Hill at NC State. Also coached Jimmie Ward at NIU.

Edited by beekay414

49 minutes ago, Chili said:

What's so interesting about Chris Harris? He has been a position coach for only 1 year. He worked under Lovie Smith, Ron Rivera. Mel Tucker, John Pagano, Gus Bradley and Del Rio. Hardly an inspiring bunch of coaches to learn from. Those coaching staffs he was on went 8-8, 5-11, 5-11, 9-7, 12-4, 5-11, 7-9.

I'm struggling to see what makes him such an attractive DC prospect.

Mostly because of his work with Derwin James and Washington’s secondary last season. Also he was one of the reasons Rodgers had so much trouble with Chicago early in his career.

I would love for us to interview Brendan Daly. 4 superbowls with the Patriots and Chiefs, possibly 5 on Sunday. His resume is amazing. He has worked under these coaches, Mike Tomlin, Leslie Frazier, Ken Flajole, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid and Steve Spagnuolo, all of whom won a superbowl. He has travelled and amassed alot of knowledge, systems, experience and developed relationships along the way all the while winning Superbowls in the process. You really can't get better as a defensive coordinator prospect. Just imagine the defensive coaching staff he could build for us.

Dave Merritt is another coach who is used to winning. He has won 3 superbowls coaching defensive backs with the Giants and Chiefs, possibly 4 on Sunday.

We would be crazy not to interview them. Nobody is raiding the Kansas staff and we have a great opportunity to hand pick the very best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not what I said at all. Try reading.

Just because the secondary was bad at Wisconsin and they played off doesn't mean that with a talented secondary they're going to play on. 

Try understanding, not what I said at all.  Doesn't mean with a talented secondary they aren't going to play on.

This thread has taken a turn.  Or it started this way, I refuse to go back to page 1 to find out.

I just want a DC that builds around our best players, instead of having Jaire defend a deep quarter of empty field while our front four of size/speed freaks just rushes blandly from a standard four man front.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Nobody's mad ... just don't understand your thinking process but that's ok.  Have a nice day.

Ultimately we’re all anonymous strangers on a forum so I really can’t be bothered to care who agrees with me here or not. Not the first time I’ve come into a thread with a less than popular take on something and it won’t be the last either. 

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

Ultimately we’re all anonymous strangers on a forum so I really can’t be bothered to care who agrees with me here or not. Not the first time I’ve come into a thread with a less than popular take on something and it won’t be the last either. 

Ditto.

I'd say overall you have more of an idea what you might get from a college DC compares to a NFL position coach. 

I really want a guy who will play with multiple fronts and disguised coverages. Like say you have Clark, Snacks, the smiths and Gary on the field at once, that could be anything from 2 to 5 down front, with any of the 3 lb standing up, rushing or dropping from different angles. 

I don't know who that guy is, but that's the kind of D I want.

• Like 1