Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

33 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Reading the Rams forum, they were rooting for Aubrey Pleasant to take over from Staley. They had high regard for him and he was way ahead of Evero for the DC role. I'm surprised he went to the Lions in pretty much a lateral move. I wonder if the Packers will try to interview him? It would be a little strange that Evero gets a DC role and Pleasant doesn't get a proper promotion

Its very funny seeing the differing opinions between the coaches and fans.

Brandon Staley chose Joe Barry ahead of all the other defensive coaches on the Rams staff to take with him to the Chargers.

Sean McVay chose to hire Raheem Morris over his in-house candidates Aubrey Pleasant and Ejiiro Evero.

McVay was willing to let Pleasant make a sideways career move to Detriot.

Matt LaFleur chose to interview Barry and Evero with no consideration for Pleasant.

So clearly in three instances, McVay, LaFleur and Staley did not have a high opinion of Pleasant which contradicts the Rams fan views of him.

In the case of Barry, McVay thought well enough of him to be his assistant head coach. Staley liked him enough to bring him to the Chargers, LaFleur considered him a viable DC candidate by interviewing him. If you read fans opinions he should be god awful but the coaches actions suggest otherwise.

The opinion on Evero is mixed. McVay hired him as safeties coach despite toiling away for years at various stops as quality control or defensive assistant. He has been a stable fixture for the last 4 years. Obviously he hasn't done enough to impress McVay to promote him nor impress Staley to take him along with him to the Chargers. Only LaFleur is willing to consider him as a possible DC candidate.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

Too much back and forth in here about the legitimacy of Leonard (for or against) as a candidate being due to the fact he's a Badger. MLF doesn't give a flip about his Wisconsin ties and isn't swayed by the success of the local college program. The Packers organization and its coaches don't watch one second more of Badgers games than any other school in the nation. He's a candidate because he was always lauded as a very intelligent player in the NFL, has shown to be an excellent communicator in both the NFL and college, and has earned a reputation for making the most out of what he's been given to work with. And to top things off, he played in Pettine's system, and coaches that system at a high level in the NCAA. MLF doesn't care if it will make Packers' fans happy if the local kid is brought in the coach the state's pro defense. If he's hired it will be because he's deemed the best man for the job. Anyone against or for him as a candidate simply because he coaches at the university down the road, or out of the presumption that his status is inflated because of it, is a simpleton.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Will he stay though? I'd hope so and would think his options at this point would be limited if the new DC was willing to keep him.

Not sure he has an option to leave. If he is under contract, we can keep him in that role. If he requests a release from his contract, or if the new DC wants his own guy- then the club may choose to move on. If he’s not here next year, it likely is a courtesy move by GB, or the new DC wanted his own guy. 

I don’t think Gray was a Pettine guy specifically. Not sure if they even ever worked together before. 

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except a new DC likely wants to bring in their own positional coaches.

I think you'd have an easier time convincing a younger, first time DC to retain at least a few of the positional coaches. No different than what they did with MLF. 

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think you'd have an easier time convincing a younger, first time DC to retain at least a few of the positional coaches. No different than what they did with MLF. 

I don't disagree going that route, but if you believe Murphy and Gutey at their word, MLF wasn't pressured to keep those coaches, it was his choice. 

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Any sense of when this trigger gets pulled?

Woah! No-one is shooting anybody. Chill. Let calmer heads prevail and let's take our time. 😮

Wait until after the Superbowl and then by all means shoot the one we want.

American hiring practices is so violent. I don't have to agree with it but goddammit I'll respect your culture. 🤪

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Except a new DC likely wants to bring in their own positional coaches.

I think we're making a big assumption with this statement. We're not interviewing Wade Phillips or one of these long standing guys with connections all over the league. Gray, Smith, Montgomery have proven to be excellent position coaches. Indifferent on the guy we have coaching ILBs. These young bucks we're interviewing aren't going to have the pull to tell LaFleur they don't want to work with those 3.

Don't believe Staley got any say with McVay, Barry, Pleasant, Evero all stayed.