Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

34 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think well find out if the rumors MLF wanted to can Pettine last offseason were true in the next few days

Pretty sure he's gone .. he hung that TD that King gave up before the half on the coaches .. said that coverage was wrong in that situation and should never happen.  Said it could never happen again.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Pretty sure he's gone .. he hung that TD that King gave up before the half on the coaches .. said that coverage was wrong in that situation and should never happen.  Said it could never happen again.

Only one way to ensure that happens...

Yeet Trash GIF - Yeet Trash Seal GIFs

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I don't know if he is ready to be an NFL DC but he might be a good assistant for us.

I like Leonard, but he isn't going to stop being a DC for a power 5 conference school to become an assistant. I don't think he leaves WI for any DC position at any level... his next step is HC.

24 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

I like Leonard, but he isn't going to stop being a DC for a power 5 conference school to become an assistant. I don't think he leaves WI for any DC position at any level... his next step is HC.

Yeah, Leonard will probably be the Badgers next HC.

As for our next DC, I'm fully on board with letting Pettine go, and not just for the end-of-half fiasco. Don't forget that this season he was confronted by a players' committee because the players were fed up with his defensive approach. For morale purposes the players need to be supported with a new DC. 

As for who, I would look at the top defenses around the league and tap someone on one of those staffs. Coaching is a pretty close fraternity. They usually know who is ready for the next step. 

And let's NOT forget we also need a new SPECIAL TEAMS COORDINATOR.

Looking at some options here 

Brendan Daly  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Daly_(American_football)   KC DL coach.  Was with NE from 2014 through 2018

Karl Dunbar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Dunbar      DL coach with PIT.   worked under Saban at Alabama 2016 and 2017

Dave Merritt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Merritt  Current DB coach with KC.  was with NYG during the 2007 and 2011 Super Bowls

Kacy Rodgers  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kacy_Rodgers     Current DL coach with TB.  Has some experience with Bill Parcells

Young unproven guy.

You have to think MLF has a connection from his time with LA, Tenn, or ATL that is ready.

Unfortunately Jeff Ulbrich took a job with NYJ.

Potential guys MLF has worked with in the last 5 years: Marquan Manual (sort of a rehash), Chris Sula, Aubrey Pleasent, Tyrone McKenzie, Shane Brown..... or just promote Mike Smith.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Yeah, Leonard will probably be the Badgers next HC.

As for our next DC, I'm fully on board with letting Pettine go, and not just for the end-of-half fiasco. Don't forget that this season he was confronted by a players' committee because the players were fed up with his defensive approach. For morale purposes the players need to be supported with a new DC. 

As for who, I would look at the top defenses around the league and tap someone on one of those staffs. Coaching is a pretty close fraternity. They usually know who is ready for the next step. 

And let's NOT forget we also need a new SPECIAL TEAMS COORDINATOR.

Oh yes, I forgot that "meeting" he had with his defensive leaders.  If MLF keeps Pettine around after that he might lose that locker room.

And you are right.  We need a new ST coordinator.  I got frustrated yesterday with Crosby not sending those kickoffs thru the end zone yesterday!  Our ST coverage sucks so it made no sense not to.

• Like 1

If we want to compete next season the best way to do it is to find another coordinator who runs a 3-4 scheme to retain some continuity. If we switch to 4-3 then it likely means another 2 years of rebuilding the defence.

Looking at the list of names I compiled on page one I can't see many 3-4 coordinators.

The best one at the right age is probably Kris Richards but he runs the Seattle 4-3 under scheme.

Wade Phillips is perfect on paper but I strongly feel he is too old and has been out of the game for 2 seasons. I don't think he's the answer. If our options are limited then by all means hire him.

Jim Leonard is a leap of faith for LaFleur. Local guy with lots of NFL playing experience, knows 3-4 defence as he played under Pettine in the past, has experience under his belt coordinating a solid defence in college, that's valuable. He makes a lot of sense and fits LaFleur's youthful coaching staff.

Aubrey Pleasant is one option but McVay passed over him in favour of Raheem Morris for coordinator. La Rams had a highly rated coach in Brandon Staley who left for a HC gig who also took another Rams coach Joe Barry with him and McVay chose Morris as replacement coordinator. Despite all that Pleasant wasn't considered as coordinator for the Chargers nor he was considered as coordinator by McVay. They thought so little of him to the point McVay is willing to let him interview elsewhere for a sideways career move with Detroit. He's probably not the answer for LaFleur.

We can't look at anyone from the 49ers as Shanahan promoted his best coaching prospect to coordinator. I don't think there's another one on this staff who can be considered a realistic candidate.

At Tennesee if Vrable didn't rate anyone on his staff for coordinator this season instead electing to run the defence himself. Those guys are probably not the answer for us either. He still haven't hired a coordinator yet. The previous coordinator Dean Pees has taken the coordinator job with the Falcons so LaFleur missed out on him considering he runs the 3-4.

Richard Smith, Frank Bush, Marquand Manuel all recently been hired as position coaches elsewhere so they are probably off the table but technically there's nothing stopping us from interviewing them for the defensive coordinator position as it represents a promotion.

It really isn't a great pool of coaches to choose from. Our successes this season has caused us to miss out on a viable defensive coordinator. Raheem Morris, Jeff Ulbrich, DeMeco Ryans, Dean Pees and Dan Quinn all whom has a connection with LaFleur in some shape or form and would've been available to LaFleur had we failed to make the playoffs. LaFleur will have to think long and hard about firing Pettine because realistically you have to ask is he able to replace him with someone better? i'm not so sure.

Looking at people on our staff only Mike Smith and Jerry Gray would be considered for promotion. Not great. Gray faired poorly as coordinator with the Titans years ago and does Mike Smith have the X and O's chops to run the entire defence?

LaFleur has hired coaches whom he has never worked with before such as Hackett so there is a strong possibility he might have to do the same again for the other coordinator position. Marvin Lewis is a possibility, James Bettcher might be available despite just been hired as Senior Defensive Assistant for the 49ers, Chris Hewitt (Baltimore), Eric Washington (Buffalo),  Teryl Austin (Pittsburgh), Alan Williams (Indianapolis), Larry Foote (Tampa), Jerod Mayo (New England) are all options. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think all of them run 3-4 defences and if so then LaFleur's options is much better there.

Assuming LaFleur continues with youthful coaching hires then Jim Leonard, Kris Richards, Chris Hewitt, Larry Foote and Jerod Mayo has to be the main candidates on his list.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2