Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

If we want to compete next season the best way to do it is to find another coordinator who runs a 3-4 scheme to retain some continuity. If we switch to 4-3 then it likely means another 2 years of rebuilding the defence.

Looking at the list of names I compiled on page one I can't see many 3-4 coordinators.

The best one at the right age is probably Kris Richards but he runs the Seattle 4-3 under scheme.

Wade Phillips is perfect on paper but I strongly feel he is too old and has been out of the game for 2 seasons. I don't think he's the answer. If our options are limited then by all means hire him.

Jim Leonard is a leap of faith for LaFleur. Local guy with lots of NFL playing experience, knows 3-4 defence as he played under Pettine in the past, has experience under his belt coordinating a solid defence in college, that's valuable. He makes a lot of sense and fits LaFleur's youthful coaching staff.

Aubrey Pleasant is one option but McVay passed over him in favour of Raheem Morris for coordinator. Another member of their coaching staff, Joe Barry left to be passing game coordinator with the Chargers. If I remember correctly the Rams runs a 4-3 defence however he did coach under Wade Phillips 3-4 defence. He's a candidate but not a great one, he's currently interviewing with the Lions to be a secondary coach so it shows how McVay feels about him by letting him take a sideways move elsewhere.

We can't look at anyone from the 49ers as Shanahan promoted his best coaching prospect to coordinator. I don't think there's another one on this staff who can be considered a realistic candidate.

At Tennesee if Vrable didn't rate anyone on his staff for coordinator this season instead electing to run the defence himself then those guys are probably not the answer for us either. They still haven't hired a coordinator yet. The previous coordinator Dean Pees has taken the coordinator job with the Falcons so LaFleur missed out on him considering he runs the 3-4.

Richard Smith, Frank Bush, Marquand Manuel all recently been hired as position coaches elsewhere so they are probably off the table but technically there's nothing stopping us from interviewing them for the defensive coordinator position as it represents a promotion.

It really isn't a great pool of coaches to choose from. Our successes this season has caused us to miss out on a viable defensive coordinator. Raheem Morris, Jeff Ulbrich, DeMeco Ryans, Dean Pees and Dan Quinn all would've been available to LaFleur had we failed to make the playoffs. LaFleur will have to think long and hard about firing Pettine because realistically is he able to replace him with someone better? i'm not so sure.

Looking at people on our staff only Mike Smith and Jerry Gray would be considered for promotion. Not great. Gray faired poorly as coordinator with the Titans years ago and does Mike Smith have the X and O's chops to run the entire defence?

LaFleur has hired coaches whom he has never worked with before such as Hackett so there is a strong possibility he might have to do the same again for the other coordinator position. Marvin Lewis is a possibility, Chris Hewitt (Baltimore), Eric Washington (Buffalo),  Teryl Austin (Pittsburgh), Alan Williams (Indianapolis), Larry Foote (Tampa), Jerod Mayo (New England) are all options. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think all of them run 3-4 defences and if so then LaFleur's options is much better there.

What about Patrick graham? :(

25 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Would like this (regarding Marvin Lewis)

There are question marks over him regarding his abilty to coordinate a defence. He looked great at Baltimore but then left, however Baltimore defence continued to be good for another 6 years without him. At Washington he presided a defence with Champ Bailey that ranked 21st in points allowed. At the Bengals his defences in his first 5 years ranked 28th, 19th, 28th, 30th and 27th. Not great at all.

Not the answer imo and there's a reason why he hasn't been re-hired in the NFL since he got fired from the Bengals.

You know what? F it, go get Rex!! 😈

Yeah, his defenses peak for a year-and-a-half and then suck royally, but next year is pretty much that last year our window is open, and what Pettine has laid down should be pretty easy for him to work with right away. There isn't going to be that much time to acclimate them into something radically different.

THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH! 😼

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

You know what? F it, go get Rex!! 😈

Yeah, his defenses peak for a year-and-a-half and then suck royally, but next year is pretty much that last year our window is open, and what Pettine has laid down should be pretty easy for him to work with right away. There isn't going to be that much time to acclimate them into something radically different.

THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH! 😼

That's how we got stuck with Capers for ten years.

The MLF - Pettine pairing has felt like a forced marriage.   MLF calling out some defensive play calls in pressers just feels like he wants to send a message to Gutekunst/Murphy that he wants a change.

The irony of this shows up in the NFCCG.  Pettine routinely plays passive off coverage, but goes hyperaggressive with 8 seconds left and king is torched for a TD.

MLF is typically aggressive going for it on 4th down, yet decides to kick the FG and GB never sees the ball again. 

MLF rubbed off on Pettine and vice versa.

I think a change is going to happen.  Wonder how Pettine views the assistant D coaches as viable options?  Do any of them share some philosophical similarities that would mesh better?  If not, then looking outside the organization would be needed.

We can strike Aubrey Pleasant off the list as he has just been hired by the Lions as DBs coach/pass-game coordinator.

LaFleur will need to make his move quickly if he wants to hire a new defensive coordinator. The well is drying up.

Still got the likes of Jim Leonard, Kris Richards, Chris Hewitt, Brendan Daly, Larry Foote and Jerod Mayo out there for him to consider.

Edited by Chili