Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Interesting @Mazrimiv

Makes me wonder if we nab a DC from outside the organization and dont elevate guys like Gray or Smith - if they'll (a) have other offers from elsewhere and (b) leave. Time will tell.

The problem with promoting from within is then you have to replace that person at their original position. The exception is if someone else is going to hire him away from you. Then you'd have to replace him anyway. 

5 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

Guys - Yes we are all excited and hope Matt L will find the gem.

But remember Mannega is Matt L’s pick only. 

Fingers crossed...

You can’t disregard Steno and the guys he brought in for our Oline room. Hackett has been a gem, as well.  ST is a different animal, you get one down and you are usually working with a moving roster of very green and back of the roster guys. No excuses, but more than it is already true on O and D, one or two plays can completely change your results.

I hope LaFleur gets this one right from a coaching standpoint and the team gets it right for the ST personnel. 

As for DC, that could be the difference to winning it all or feeling the way we all do right now. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 10:42 AM, Brit Pack said:

Hearing on the vine that Pettine has signed a new 3 year contract. Team was encourage how the defence evolved over the course of the season and the feeling is this defence is now finally primed to be dominant.

14 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

What a ridiculous assumption to make, where did you hear that from?

Some vine coming from a red coat’s arse

• Like 1

If we're looking to Kansas for inspiration it should be noted that the highly experienced Andy Reid decided to hire an experienced defensive coordinator retread to get his defence ready immediately for another Superbowl run and it paid off handsomely. A rookie defensive coordinator probably would've needed more time to see results. Reid was lucky enough to hire one who won a superbowl as coordinator before.

I have to think LaFleur is thinking the same as he needs the defence heading in the right direction quickly as possible whilst the superbowl window is still open and with that in mind it does perhaps suggest we might look to hire an experienced coordinator.

Unlike Reid, LaFleur will find it much harder to find an ex-superbowl winning coordinator that is readily available and at the right age. There are some talented coordinator retreads to consider such as Teryl Austin, Kacy Rodgers, Perry Fewell, Jerry Gray and obviously Wade Phillips at a ridiculous age of 74.

Of course there are many ways to skin a cat. What works for them doesn't necessarily mean it will work for us. Its all about the right fit even if that means a hiring a first time coordinator.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

True, but like I said earlier sometimes these coaches are better as coordinators rather than the head guy.

What is wrong with wanting somebody fresh?...Seem to me, not to long ago you were suggesting Lewis was being kept on in Cincinnati longer than his effective usefulness...