49ers release Navarro Bowman

textaz03

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

PLEASE!!!!! It's been a dream of mine to pair Lee and Bowman up! Sign him now! TWO Penn State LBs! 

Lol. If we ran a 34 and Lee could play the inside Rover/Nomad while Bowman plays the inside Dog/Troll Id be game. That could work pretty well actually.

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Lol. If we ran a 34 and Lee could play the inside Rover/Nomad while Bowman plays the inside Dog/Troll Id be game. That could work pretty well actually.

Don't be silly. He is an immediate upgrade over every LB except Lee. Bowman at Mike and Lee at Will would be just fine. Obviously if he is to expensive then he is to expensive.  I think you are over estimating the mid season market for aging off injured LBs though. Also he may go to competitive teams for cheaper than he would others. Plus his old college teammate is here. If you talk to 49er fans they are sad to see him go.

39 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Don't be silly. He is an immediate upgrade over every LB except Lee. Bowman at Mike and Lee at Will would be just fine. Obviously if he is to expensive then he is to expensive.  I think you are over estimating the mid season market for aging off injured LBs though. Also he may go to competitive teams for cheaper than he would others. Plus his old college teammate is here. If you talk to 49er fans they are sad to see him go.

He is an upgrade, player wise. But what would be his role here? Thats my concern. He is not good in coverage, and isnt going to be able to play a significant role outside of the base defense even at Mike. And as you and I both know, we play that base 3 linebacker set less frequently than anything featuring 2 linebackers, where both need to be able to cover.

Bowman is great and he should have plenty of good ball playing in him, but outside of Durant level money he would be too expensive for his role. Id be worried of overpaying for better play against the run with a drop off in coverage. Linebackers in this system really need to cover.

Then there is the money issue. While Dallas does have cap room, the Cowboys have no interest in winning a bidding war here. Bowman this year was scheduled to earn $6.75 million in base salary.
The Cowboys likely view Bowman (who played at Penn State alongside Sean Lee before being selected by the 49ers in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft) as a rotational linebacker. ... and it seems the 49ers thought the same

17 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Then there is the money issue. While Dallas does have cap room, the Cowboys have no interest in winning a bidding war here. Bowman this year was scheduled to earn $6.75 million in base salary.
The Cowboys likely view Bowman (who played at Penn State alongside Sean Lee before being selected by the 49ers in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft) as a rotational linebacker. ... and it seems the 49ers thought the same

Yet they want to sign Nolan freaking Carroll to a contract with guaranteed money they are on the hook for until 2019... smfh

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Right, and give $45M to T. Crawford. But they will draw the line at former all pros.

I just looked an article on BTB on our cap hit. Did you know we will have a $10 million dollar cap hit in 2018 for signing Thornton and Carroll? And some fans wonder why we can't field out a decent defense to help out Dak and the offense. Guaranteed, multi million dollar contracts to scrub players who are still on the team(Terrance Williams) in Dallas, while teams like the Eagles hand out 1 year contracts to Alshon Jeffrey and have Patrick Robinson for $775K. 

As for Tyrone Crawford, that was one of the worst contracts ever for Dallas. The coaches or someone in the F.O. should pay for making these decisions. 

Archived