GB Defense moving forward --- HOPING FOR NEW DC

squire12

I think the vast majority of the fan base wants a new DC.   Given the situation with the salary cap, there are going to be some holes to fill.   Here is what I have for depth chart and the UFA, RFA, ERFA and possible cut/trade candidates.  GB is very likely going to have to shed some cap to get under the projected mid $190M ish cap.  

Removing Preston, Lowry and Kirksey get some cap space, but also creates some holes to fill.  

STARTER          
LDE Dean Lowry     cut/trade candidate UFA ERFA
NT Kenny Clark Tyler Lancaster   Dean Lowry Kevin King Krys Barnes
RDE Kingsley Keke     Preston Smith Montravius Adams Randy Ramsey
WLB Preston Smith Rashan Gary   Christian Kirksey James Burgess Kabion Ento
LILB Kamal Martin Oren Burks Curtis Bolton     Willington Prevlion
RILB Christian Kirksey Krys Barnes Ty Summers   RFA Anthony Rush
SLB Za'Darius Smith Jonathan Garvin     Chandon Sullivan  
LCB Jaire Alexander Josh Jackson     Will Redmond  
SS Adrian Amos       Raven Greene  
FS Darnell Savage Vernon Scott     Tyler Lancaster  
RCB   Ka'dar Hollman     Parry Nickerson  
Slot CB Chandon Sullivan          

Just now, squire12 said:

I think the vast majority of the fan base wants a new DC.   Given the situation with the salary cap, there are going to be some holes to fill.   Here is what I have for depth chart and the UFA, RFA, ERFA and possible cut/trade candidates.  GB is very likely going to have to shed some cap to get under the projected mid $190M ish cap.  

Removing Preston, Lowry and Kirksey get some cap space, but also creates some holes to fill.  

STARTER          
LDE Dean Lowry     cut/trade candidate UFA ERFA
NT Kenny Clark Tyler Lancaster   Dean Lowry Kevin King Krys Barnes
RDE Kingsley Keke     Preston Smith Montravius Adams Randy Ramsey
WLB Preston Smith Rashan Gary   Christian Kirksey James Burgess Kabion Ento
LILB Kamal Martin Oren Burks Curtis Bolton     Willington Prevlion
RILB Christian Kirksey Krys Barnes Ty Summers   RFA Anthony Rush
SLB Za'Darius Smith Jonathan Garvin     Chandon Sullivan  
LCB Jaire Alexander Josh Jackson     Will Redmond  
SS Adrian Amos       Raven Greene  
FS Darnell Savage Vernon Scott     Tyler Lancaster  
RCB   Ka'dar Hollman     Parry Nickerson  
Slot CB Chandon Sullivan          

Preston saves $8M and opens up the need for a 3rd EDGE that is going to play around 500 snaps (45%).   Gary would replace the Preston snaps, so these are the snaps that Gary is playing
Lowry saves $3.3M and opens a need for  snaps (60%).   Keke could take some, but not sure he is the real answer for that spot.  
Kirksey saves $6M and opens a need for 550 snaps (55%).  Probably the easiest to fill with Barnes and Martin already logging a good amount of snaps

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Having 3 rushers is a luxury.  One that I happen to like.

I'd be re-doing quite a few deals in order to keep Preston.  Rodgers, Bakh, Adams, Z...etc.

Most everyone is going to be in this kind of a crunch.  It's going to be an interesting off-season.

Let's not forget Preston Smith came on at the end of the year and IIRC was behind a Brady pressure that led to an INT.

I also think Sullivan comes back with a chip on his shoulder despite the fact that we'll probably go CB early; Josh Jackson hasn't exactly worked out and King ran way too hot and cold as has been discussed ad nauseum now(of course he's a UFA too). If we were to bring Snacks back, I could see Snacks knocking Lancaster off the roster, especially if we draft an IDL that can rotate between 3-tech and 1-tech although Snacks playing 1-tech with Kenny playing 3-tech certainly worked against the run yesterday so that should be seriously considered in the off-season. Also, you HAVE to bring Barnes back at this point as well.

I don't think we should be talking doom-n-gloom here either as we have a ton of quality role players that are ERFA or RFA. We need to get Rodgers back on board, get a new DC, and go all-in this coming year. We've spent the last 3 years prepping for Life After Rodgers; let's make a few sacrifices to win a Superb Owl while he's still here...

I don't know how bad Josh Jackson actually is.  But I have a hard time believing he's any worse than Redmond.  I like playing Amos closer to the line and playing games with him and Savage.  With how good Jackson was in playing zone coverage in college, he should be able to handle a deep safety role.

Anything to get Redmond off of the field, please.

Snacks wise....I think we will find many other DT's that can play his kind of game with younger legs this off-season.

Barnes looks like a great, young linebacker.  Martin has potential, but I think we can add another one to that mix.  Doesn't have to be early.

Sullivan.  Ungh.  He was picked on a lot early.  But, he's pretty solid, very smart.  Yah, gotta bring him back.

I think with Gary playing well he will take Preston’s spot. I like having 3 Pass Rushers big money wise we may not have that luxury anymore. I think our cuts are Preston, Lowry, Kirksey, and Wagner. Those 4 guys open up 14.75 million. I’m not sure where you are seeing the cap being $190 million but I’m seeing between $176-$184 million. If it’s $190 million great but I don’t see it being that high

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know how bad Josh Jackson actually is.  But I have a hard time believing he's any worse than Redmond.  I like playing Amos closer to the line and playing games with him and Savage.  With how good Jackson was in playing zone coverage in college, he should be able to handle a deep safety role.

The fact that he's been a healthy scratch is pretty damn telling.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Having 3 rushers is a luxury.  One that I happen to like.

I'd be re-doing quite a few deals in order to keep Preston.  Rodgers, Bakh, Adams, Z...etc.

Most everyone is going to be in this kind of a crunch.  It's going to be an interesting off-season.

Not sure 3 rushers is a luxury. They shouldn't be playing more than 70 percent of snaps. You basically need 3 to keep a decent rotation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not sure 3 rushers is a luxury. They shouldn't be playing more than 70 percent of snaps. You basically need 3 to keep a decent rotation. 

Unless you have an absolute stud who is playing 90%+ of the snaps like Von Miller did a few years ago, you're going to rotate your pass rushers.  You want them fresh.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's really not as much a luxury as you think it is. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Does a new DC look at the current pieces differently?

We know what Pettine likes to run based on situation.  Does a different DC pound the table for another IDL to pair with Clark?  Keke is a 3rd IDL rotation player.  Gary and Z at outside Edge

A lot depends on the new D coordinator.

-I personally think Lowry should stay since 3M for serviceable isn't bad. Unless JJ Watt is coming to town on the retirement deal (which is possible), 3M for serviceable isn't bad. To replace him and get an "as good" player, we'd be spending more or burning a second.

-Kirksey is 100% gone unless he takes a massive paycut (like 1M base). The play is Martin. He showed promise just injuries derailed him. 

-Preston- Lets see where the cap ends up. I'm 60-40 on him leaving. Gary needs more snaps. You draft a guy R3-5 to develop along with Garvin.

-King- I hate King, but we've seen worse in GB. If we got him on the injured Nick Perry prove it deal (1 year 3-4M) sign me up. I'd also be okay giving Jackson a chance and drafting a guy R1-3.

The 2021 Packer D is going to need a new DC to be creative, a rookie to step up, along with Gary/Savage to up there game or it will be another middle of the pack at best unit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

A lot depends on the new D coordinator.

-I personally think Lowry should stay since 3M for serviceable isn't bad. Unless JJ Watt is coming to town on the retirement deal (which is possible), 3M for serviceable isn't bad. To replace him and get an "as good" player, we'd be spending more or burning a second.

-Kirksey is 100% gone unless he takes a massive paycut (like 1M base). The play is Martin. He showed promise just injuries derailed him. 

-Preston- Lets see where the cap ends up. I'm 60-40 on him leaving. Gary needs more snaps. You draft a guy R3-5 to develop along with Garvin.

-King- I hate King, but we've seen worse in GB. If we got him on the injured Nick Perry prove it deal (1 year 3-4M) sign me up. I'd also be okay giving Jackson a chance and drafting a guy R1-3.

The 2021 Packer D is going to need a new DC to be creative, a rookie to step up, along with Gary/Savage to up there game or it will be another middle of the pack at best unit

inb4 they bring Sackrell back.

But seriously, I think, as you noted, that both the actual cap number AND a new DC will determine a lot of what we see for players on this team. If a new DC can get get Smith to produce again, you'll happily eat that cap #. 

I don't see too many ways they bring King back, though. I was a supporter, but it looks like his speed has been sapped. 

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's really not as much a luxury as you think it is. 

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'll rephrase.  Having 3 good to very good rushers is a luxury.  Our 3 is Z, who has been a pretty elite guy for 2 years.  Preston who had what, 12 sacks a year ago?  And a high draft pick in Gary who is coming on strong.

If having 3 like that isn't a luxury, well, I guess GB hasn't had a competent edge grouping in forever.  Maybe we had one year with Nick Perry, Clay and someone I can't remember as the three.

Maybe Peppers, Clay and an injured Perry were in there.

But we haven't had this kind of depth on the EDGE that I can remember.

Guess I feel like what we have is luxurious given what we've had in the past.  

It is interesting, though, that we could release Preston and draft an edge in the first and still be in a very good position on the edge.

If you cut Preston you are weakening a position but weakening it from a position of extreme strength. I think it is an overkill and that resource could be used to spend in another area of the team.

This year there are some savvy vets that I think could really help the team with leadership as they are over 30 and are probably very getable if we cut someone like Preston and/or don't bring back KK:

Lavaonte David
Xavier Rhodes
Patrick Peterson
Richard Sherman
TY Hilton
Marvin Jones
AJ Green
Ben Garland