Who is more to blame for the Brees/Payton Saints only making one Super Bowl in 15 years?

patriotsheatyan

Who is more to blame  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

• Brees
    • Payton

11’ and 18’ were really the only years they should’ve made it.  That Saints/Niners game in 11’ is probably greatest game nobody really remembers.  It’s hard to blame a QB when he’s in such steep physical decline.  Peyton is responsible for more and their D was an abomination for a few years of Brees’ heyday.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Defense was damn near historically bad for a number of years, and then the craziest decade of playoff losses you could imagine. Seriously, go back and look at their playoff losses from this decade before this year lol

Some of our playoff losses were so bad, they've become memes.  They even have names, like Beastquake, The Catch III, Minneapolis Miracle

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Some of our playoff losses were so bad, they've become memes.  They even have names, like Beastquake, The Catch III, Minneapolis Miracle

It's absolutely insane. And they didn't even include a loss that prompted a rule change to make dpi reviewable

Just now, Forge said:

It's absolutely insane. And they didn't even include a loss that prompted a rule change to make dpi reviewable

That loss to you guys in 2011 actually changed my life lmao.  I stopped getting too emotionally invested in things I have no control over after that game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

That loss to you guys in 2011 actually changed my life lmao.  I stopped getting too emotionally invested in things I have no control over after that game.

That was me after the 2012 SB. I took it way too hard. 

Last year's SB loss sucked, don't get me wrong, but i got over it way quicker. I also have a lot more good stuff going on in my life last year/this year outside of football than i did back in 2012, so that helped.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

Payton but only in the sense that he didn’t keep his tool DC in check and that cost and derailed the team which basically made them non competitive for a good chunk of last decade. And that’s not even completely on Payton, but that situation was biggest issue 

1 hour ago, DirtyDez said:

11’ and 18’ were really the only years they should’ve made it.  That Saints/Niners game in 11’ is probably greatest game nobody really remembers.  It’s hard to blame a QB when he’s in such steep physical decline.  Peyton is responsible for more and their D was an abomination for a few years of Brees’ heyday.

They also had a decent chance to repeat in 2010 as well if they get out of Seattle. They were the fifth seed, and they would have went to two-seed Chicago (the six-seed Pack went to one-seed Atlanta). I think they could have won that one, and they would have hosted GB in the dome. No guarantees, but they would have had a fairly decent shot of beating the Pack and the Steelers (although it would have been tough).

16 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

They also had a decent chance to repeat in 2010 as well if they get out of Seattle. They were the fifth seed, and they would have went to two-seed Chicago (the six-seed Pack went to one-seed Atlanta). I think they could have won that one, and they would have hosted GB in the dome. No guarantees, but they would have had a fairly decent shot of beating the Pack and the Steelers (although it would have been tough).

That was a long shot really.  2011 and 2018 were the years, and it didn't happen.  2010 we had too many injuries.  Every RB was injured, Brees had a sprained MCL, the defense was overranked due to playing some terrible QBs and got exposed in Seattle.

21 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

That was a long shot really.  2011 and 2018 were the years, and it didn't happen.  2010 we had too many injuries.  Every RB was injured, Brees had a sprained MCL, the defense was overranked due to playing some terrible QBs and got exposed in Seattle.

Losing to Max Hall was probably an indicator.

Not much I can add that hasn't been said already.

It's not Brees, it's the FO for not giving him a solid defense. And that's ALL he would have needed was a solid defense. Not elite or top-11....just average that can carry their own in the playoffs.  But they couldn't even do that.  The only time he had a "real" defense was in 2009 when they won the SB and lets be honest, that defense was a fraud. And that's not just saying that in hindsight. It showed that season. They were very flawed.....they would give up play after play after play and then somehow force a TO whether from a good luck play or a bad play from the offense. That's not a sustainable defense and certainly not a recipe for long-term success.

Even the best QBs need a defense. You can't rely on a single player to carry the entire team. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX