Favre vs Brees: Better career

patriotsheatyan

Favre vs Brees  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Better career

• Favre
    • Brees

Favre has some MVPs, so Favre I guess.  They both have a SB ring and all time stats for their era.

However, outside of Favre's few peak years, I'd take Brees in a second.  Favre was too inconsistent after the early years, and his gunslinging would have irritated me to no end.

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Favre peaked higher. Brees was very good for WAY longer and didn't have a decade of average seasons. 

Sums up my feelings. Favre’s best > Brees best. Brees down years > Favre’s down years. I’ll lean towards Favre based on the higher peak.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chargers said:

Favre's peak was better. Favre was more talented. Favre played in cold weather his entire career. 

I can't imagine trying to catch passes from him when the temps in the teens

If they were going to both play in this era, Brees.  In their respective eras, Favre.  Yes he threw more picks but he his durability and longevity was incredible. 

Brees.  

I like Favre, he played a fun backyard style of football and is one of toughest QBs of all time, but Brees is one of the most pin point accurate passers in history(talking prime obviously) and the same with his knowledge of the game in general.  You know the saying "a defense can do everything right and still get it wrong"....this was Brees.  These two things can't be said about Favre. He had heart but I would never use the word "knowledgeable" to describe Favre. 

Both have had some pretty good weapons on offense and a good OL so that's about a wash, but Brees had by far the worst defenses.  

I'd probably go Favre due to the three straight MVP seasons, but I see a few comments in this thread referencing peak for Favre was better. Not so sure about that, as that 2011 season for Brees was one of the best passing seasons ever. I know it was a different era to what Favre was doing in the 90's, but I'm just talking about Brees' dominance that year regardless of numbers. Overall, I think both have had close careers. I remember being shocked that Drew was left off the 100th anniversary team, and I probably would have replaced Favre with Brees. Now, I'm not so sure. 

Biggest thing people overlook with Favre was the loss of Holmgren after the 1998 season. Just devastating that either they couldn't keep him, or at least promote Andy Reid to HC if they couldn't figure out the GM thing with Holmgren. They pretty much had the worst of all possibilities with losing both, hiring Rey Rhodes, and then losing Ron Wolf shortly thereafter. Brees working with an offensive genius like Peyton for 15 years was great for Drew's longevity. I'm convinced that Favre with Holmgren or Reid plays more consistently and gets another SB somewhere in there the back end after they reloaded the talent. Favre had all-time talent, but needed a taskmaster to keep the gunslinger habits to a minimum.

But as is, I'd probably go Favre because he peaked higher and was comfortably regarded as the best QB for a few years. I don't think Drew was ever regarded as QB1 at any point in his career.

11 minutes ago, A_Biased_Fan said:

Biggest thing people overlook with Favre was the loss of Holmgren after the 1998 season. Just devastating that either they couldn't keep him, or at least promote Andy Reid to HC if they couldn't figure out the GM thing with Holmgren. They pretty much had the worst of all possibilities with losing both, hiring Rey Rhodes, and then losing Ron Wolf shortly thereafter. Brees working with an offensive genius like Peyton for 15 years was great for Drew's longevity. I'm convinced that Favre with Holmgren or Reid plays more consistently and gets another SB somewhere in there the back end after they reloaded the talent. Favre had all-time talent, but needed a taskmaster to keep the gunslinger habits to a minimum.

But as is, I'd probably go Favre because he peaked higher and was comfortably regarded as the best QB for a few years. I don't think Drew was ever regarded as QB1 at any point in his career.

He also competed with the likes of Brady, Peyton, and Rodgers during their primes.  

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He also competed with the likes of Brady, Peyton, and Rodgers during their primes.  

This can't be overlooked. I've seen people bring up a guy like Favre for example was the "best for years during his era". However, most rankings I've seen have the QB's of Brees's era ranked higher. Most people have Brady #1 and Manning #2 or #3 in their all-time rankings. Then Brees also has Rodgers to contend with, who probably will be regarded as a top 5 all-time QB by many. Brees had several seasons that rivaled or surpassed these guys. Unfortunately for Brees the years it seemed that he had his best seasons, one of those 3 guys also had one of their best seasons, and never won an MVP...Even though he put up seasons where in most years, he would be an MVP winner such as in 2011 where he:

Threw for 5,476 yards, which was an NFL record at the time (6404 passing yards including 2 playoff games), had a total of 47 touchdowns, which was the 4th most ever at the time (54 touchdowns including 2 playoff games), and a QB Rating of 110.6  

• Like 1