Favre vs Brees: Better career

patriotsheatyan

Favre vs Brees  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Better career

• Favre
    • Brees

On 1/26/2021 at 5:49 PM, RabidPanther89 said:

Favre easily. Nobody was ever afraid of Drew Brees. Favre on  the other hand was a feared player for opposing teams. Brett was a gunslinger and made poor decisions at times but he was also incredibly clutch, good mobility and a cannon arm.  Some might argue Brees had more mental acumen for the game but Favre had his own way of doing things. Brees played in a dome and was a stat padder for most his career, and as of late has been a liability with the game on the line.

If you had to pick one to win you a football game, the answer is Brett Favre.

Nobody was ever afraid of Drew Brees is insanely inaccurate. No need to address the rest of the post after that.

20 hours ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

I'd pick Favre.  He was better in relation to his peers.  I am surprised people said Brees overperformed.  I think he underperformed considering he had absolutely no defense for a good part of his prime.

Favre's peers were considerably worse, so yes I would hope so. Brees competed with arguably the 2 best QBs ever for his entire career, and beat one of them in a SB.

21 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Favre's peers were considerably worse, so yes I would hope so. Brees competed with arguably the 2 best QBs ever for his entire career, and beat one of them in a SB.

Your recency bias is showing. Favre played in the "Golden Era" of QBs; before the rule changes obviously  so the stats were not as gaudy.

Montana

Young

Marino

Aikman

Elway

Jim Kelly

Manning 1 and 2

Brady

Brees

Warner

Moon

McNabb

Bledsoe

MVP Culpepper and Gannon

Rivers

Ben

Romo

All guys who played at least 5-10 years against Favre.

Edited by Matts4313

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Your recency bias is showing. Favre played in the "Golden Era" of QBs; before the rule changes obviously  so the stats were not as gaudy.

Montana

Young

Marino

Aikman

Elway

Jim Kelly

Manning 1 and 2

Brady

Brees

Warner

Moon

McNabb

Bledsoe

MVP Culpepper and Gannon

Rivers

Romo

All guys who played at least 5-10 years against Favre.

Its not recency bias. Brees entire career was played against arguably the best two QBs ever. Mahomes will likely find himself in the top 3 of the best to ever do it as well. Brees has been considered a top 5 QB his entire career in New Orleans while playing with better QBs league wide IMO.

Off topic but sort of relevant - Troy Aikman the most overrated QB ever tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Its not recency bias. Brees entire career was played against arguably the best two QBs ever. Mahomes will likely find himself in the top 3 of the best to ever do it as well. Brees has been considered a top 5 QB his entire career in New Orleans while playing with better QBs league wide IMO.

Statistically - sure. These guys are killing it. But its a different NFL. I guarantee some of these guys would be putting up "GOAT" numbers if they played in todays era.

BTW - Brees played like 13 years against Manning, Favre played 12. A little more skewed when it comes to Brady. I dont know the exact amount of games they went head to head.

Off topic but sort of relevant - Troy Aikman the most overrated QB ever tbh.

Troy Aikman is Tom Brady if Tom played in the pro-set/Air Croyell instead. He was playing in an outdated offensive system 30 years ago, where as Young/Montana/Favre all got to play in the WCO under the likes of people like Andy Reid and Walsh. His offense wasnt built to help the QB at all. But pretty much everyone, including Jimmy Johnson, has gone on record that Aikman would have been a beast on another team.

Edited by Matts4313

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Statistically - sure. These guys are killing it. But its a different NFL. I guarantee some of these guys would be putting up "GOAT" numbers if they played in todays era.

Troy Aikman is Tom Brady if Tom played in the pro-set/Air Croyell instead. He was playing in an outdated offensive system 30 years ago, where as Young/Montana/Favre all got to play in the WCO under the likes of people like Andy Reid and Walsh. His offense wasnt built to help the QB at all. But pretty much everyone, including Jimmy Johnson, has gone on record that Aikman would have been a beast on another team.

Of course they are. Its the good old boys club, they all talk each other up. Aikman played on absolutely stacked offenses and threw 165 TDs to 141 INT for his career...

27 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Of course they are. Its the good old boys club, they all talk each other up. Aikman played on absolutely stacked offenses and threw 165 TDs to 141 INT for his career...

I wonder if you actually watched the Cowboys back then? Everyone talks about how stacked the team was, but the reality is:

• Aikman was regularly asked to take 7 steps drops with only 2 WR's in routes.
  • His entire offense was "hand the ball off or throw a deep bomb"
  • Due to this horrific offensive design, Aikman was sacked quite a bit.
  • Aikman suffered something like 8 or 9 known concussions. 
  • Although its true that he had a lot of quality players, very few of them were on the team at the same time. 
    • The "great wall of Dallas" was from '92-94 only. 
    • Aikman never really had any other great WRs aside from Irvin. We traded for Ishmail and Galloway, but they both played very little due to injuries. 
      • He did have a few 500-800 yard seasons with Harper. But he was gone by 1994 as well. 
    • Aikman never had a true pass catching TE, Novacek was solid, but he was gone by 1995. 
  • And this is the important one: AIKMAN ALSO PLAYED WITH A LOT OF REALLY BAD TEAMS
    • He was drafted to a 3 win team.
    • They won 1 game his rookie season.
    • It was his 4th year before they won a playoff game. 
    • By his 6th year the NFL Salary Cap was instituted and Dallas started to bleed out talent. 
    • His last 4 years the team was struggling to be mediocre. A lot of the talent was gone and this was the height of Jerry being a sheet GM. 
      • Jerry mismanaged the cap, the front office, the drafts, everything.
    • So he had a "stacked team" for ~4 years of a 12 year career. He had mediocre to terrible teams for ~8 of the 12 years.
    • Thats not including the enormous cluster F we had at the coaching spot after Jimmy left.

Edited by Matts4313

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I wonder if you actually watched the Cowboys back then? Everyone talks about how stacked the team was, but the reality is:

• Aikman was regularly asked to take 7 steps drops with only 2 WR's in routes.
  • His entire offense was "hand the ball off or throw a deep bomb"
  • Due to this horrific offensive design, Aikman was sacked quite a bit.
  • Aikman suffered something like 8 or 9 known concussions. 
  • Although its true that he had a lot of quality players, very few of them were on the team at the same time. 
    • The "great wall of Dallas" was from '92-94 only. 
    • Aikman never really had any other great WRs aside from Irvin. We traded for Ishmail and Galloway, but they both played very little due to injuries. 
      • He did have a few 500-800 yard seasons with Harper. But he was gone by 1994 as well. 
    • Aikman never had a true pass catching TE, Novacek was solid, but he was gone by 1995. 
  • And this is the important one: AIKMAN ALSO PLAYED WITH A LOT OF REALLY BAD TEAMS
    • He was drafted to a 3 win team.
    • They won 1 game his rookie season.
    • It was his 4th year before they won a playoff game. 
    • By his 6th year the NFL Salary Cap was instituted and Dallas started to bleed out talent. 
    • His last 4 years the team was struggling to be mediocre. A lot of the talent was gone and this was the height of Jerry being a sheet GM. 
      • Jerry mismanaged the cap, the front office, the drafts, everything.
    • So he had a "stacked team" for ~4 years of a 12 year career. He had mediocre to terrible teams for ~8 of the 12 years.
    • Thats not including the enormous cluster F we had at the coaching spot after Jimmy left.

This would be a much better sell if Aikman was producing at an elite level post 95. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

This would be a much better sell if Aikman was producing at an elite level post 95. 

The entire team fell apart. It was a disaster. Aikman wasnt on speaking terms with the HC. Our drafts were all complete bust. We lost talent every offseason and replaced it with crap. Irvin broke his neck. Any former all pro we had was getting old.

I mean there is a reason we kept trading our 1st rounders for WRs. We had no one on the team to catch a ball any more. And again, our offense was archaic. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

The entire team fell apart. It was a disaster. Aikman wasnt on speaking terms with the HC. Our drafts were all complete bust. We lost talent every offseason and replaced it with crap. Irvin broke his neck. Any former all pro we had was getting old.

I mean there is a reason we kept trading our 1st rounders for WRs. We had no one on the team to catch a ball any more. And again, our offense was archaic. 

I don't doubt that's all true. He's still not that high up on the list of ATG QB's.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:56 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Favre has some MVPs, so Favre I guess.  They both have a SB ring and all time stats for their era.

However, outside of Favre's few peak years, I'd take Brees in a second.  Favre was too inconsistent after the early years, and his gunslinging would have irritated me to no end.

Favre's propensity for throwing picks, especially in big games, drove me crazy.  Brees IMO was more consistent.

Yeah Favre threw more picks in big games. He also played in far more big games. Brees teams weren't exactly facing any teams as good as those 90s Cowboys or 49ers or the Greatest Show on Turf. Outside of the amazing Super Bowl run he never beat the teams he faced that were as good or better