Favre vs Brees: Better career

patriotsheatyan

Favre vs Brees  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Better career

• Favre
    • Brees

21 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Your recency bias is showing. Favre played in the "Golden Era" of QBs; before the rule changes obviously  so the stats were not as gaudy.

Montana

Young

Marino

Aikman

Elway

Jim Kelly

Manning 1 and 2

Brady

Brees

Warner

Moon

McNabb

Bledsoe

MVP Culpepper and Gannon

Rivers

Ben

Romo

All guys who played at least 5-10 years against Favre.

I like Favre, but your list is disingenuous to say the least. 

Your throwing names out there just to throw them out there for the sake of thier names just to try and support your argument.  

Favre didn't get his first start until 1992.  Montana missed 91 and 92 seasons and retired in 94.  Marino, Moon, Kelly were all past thier primes.  Aikmen was an overrated QB who was carried by an elite team.  Warner's career had a late start and had a rough stretch until revuneating it with the Cardinals (I suppose you be okay if we included Schaub, Cam and Luck careers to prop up Brees too?). Dude, Rich Ganon?  McNabb was good but he was equaivelant to someone like Stafford (and I don't mean play-style). 

So let's total up here and look at which QBs Brees was competing against with while they were all in their primes. 

* Widely considered top-5 all-time 
*Brady, *Peyton, *Rodgers, Mahomes, Rivers, Ryan, Wilson, Ben, Palmer, Stafford, Shaub, Cam, Luck....that's just off the top.

Dude, Brees had a rough.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Your throwing names out there just to throw them out there for the sake of thier names just to try and support your argument.  

Favre didn't get his first start until 1992.  Montana missed 91 and 92 seasons and retired in 94.  Marino, Moon, Kelly were all past thier primes.  Aikmen was an overrated QB who was carried by an elite team.  Warner's career had a late start and had a rough stretch until revuneating it with the Cardinals (I suppose you be okay if we included Schaub, Cam and Luck careers to prop up Brees too?). Dude, Rich Ganon?  McNabb was good but he was equaivelant to someone like Stafford (and I don't mean play-style). 

So let's total up here and look at which QBs Brees was competing against with while they were all in their primes. 

*Brady, *Peyton, *Rodgers, Mahomes, Rivers, Ryan, Wilson, Ben, Palmer, Stafford, Shaub, Cam, Luck....that's just off the top.

Dude, Brees had a rough.

Good post. On that Favre list, the only players where I'd argue the peak years of a quality QB overlapped were Young, maybe Elway, Warner Mark I, Bledsoe, and McNabb. 

As to Aikman....well, I don't want this to become the Aikman thread but let's just say Favre's 1994 was when he started his peak, and he had to get through/past the Cowboys and couldn't do that for a couple years (and GB ended up going around them in 1996). And then Dallas was mostly irrelevant after that. We can talk about how Aikman would've been "a beast" in another offense, but teams like the 88-89 Rams and 92 WFT were beastly using that offense, and the principle formed the bones of the Greatest Show on Turf and the Chiefs offenses under Vermeil, so let's not act like he was running the single-wing or something. It was viable. Bledsoe played in Zampese's offense AFTER Aikman and had better volume stats. Trent Green and Brad Johnson did better. People can say what they want, but basically the numbers show that Aikman was along for the ride in Dallas. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:49 PM, RabidPanther89 said:

Favre easily. Nobody was ever afraid of Drew Brees. Favre on  the other hand was a feared player for opposing teams. Brett was a gunslinger and made poor decisions at times but he was also incredibly clutch, good mobility and a cannon arm.  Some might argue Brees had more mental acumen for the game but Favre had his own way of doing things. Brees played in a dome and was a stat padder for most his career, and as of late has been a liability with the game on the line.

If you had to pick one to win you a football game, the answer is Brett Favre.

mmmm salty

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Dude, Brees had a rough.

That has a lot to do with era. And dont forget, Favre played against all of them at or near their primes.

5 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Good post. On that Favre list, the only players where I'd argue the peak years of a quality QB overlapped were Young, maybe Elway, Warner Mark I, Bledsoe, and McNabb. 

As to Aikman....well, I don't want this to become the Aikman thread but let's just say Favre's 1994 was when he started his peak, and he had to get through/past the Cowboys and couldn't do that for a couple years (and GB ended up going around them in 1996). And then Dallas was mostly irrelevant after that. We can talk about how Aikman would've been "a beast" in another offense, but teams like the 88-89 Rams and 92 WFT were beastly using that offense, and the principle formed the bones of the Greatest Show on Turf and the Chiefs offenses under Vermeil, so let's not act like he was running the single-wing or something. It was viable. Bledsoe played in Zampese's offense AFTER Aikman and had better volume stats. Trent Green and Brad Johnson did better. People can say what they want, but basically the numbers show that Aikman was along for the ride in Dallas. 

I am too busy to refute all this right now, but Favre was in the NFL for 12 years with Manning when he won 2 MVPS. Not is his peak?

Favre was in the league when Brady won 3 superbowls, MVPs, and 18-1. Not his peak?

When Favre played - Marino, Aikman, Elway, Montana, Young, Gannon, Manning 1 & 2, Brady, Brees, Warner, etc *ALL* either:

1. a probowler
  2. an all pro
  3. a league MVP
  4. made the superbowl
  5. won a superbowl
  6. Did all of the above

Favre was in the league when the steelers made the bowl. Twice I think.

Favre was in the league for the (near) peak of the Cowboys, 9ners, Broncos, Vikings (1998), Bucs and I am sure others I am missings, franchise history. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

That has a lot to do with era. And dont forget, Favre played against all of them at or near their primes.

I am too busy to refute all this right now, but Favre was in the NFL for 12 years with Manning when he won 2 MVPS. Not is his peak?

Favre was in the league when Brady won 3 superbowls, MVPs, and 18-1. Not his peak?

When Favre played - Marino, Aikman, Elway, Montana, Young, Gannon, Manning 1 & 2, Brady, Brees, Warner, etc *ALL* either:

1. a probowler
  2. an all pro
  3. a league MVP
  4. made the superbowl
  5. won a superbowl
  6. Did all of the above

Favre was in the league when the steelers made the bowl. Twice I think.

Favre was in the league for the (near) peak of the Cowboys, 9ners, Broncos, Vikings (1998), Bucs and I am sure others I am missings, franchise history. 

Depends mostly on if you think Favre's peak ended in 99 or 04. But no, with most of those people the peaks didn't overlap or barely did. We're not talking about teams here, either, so it doesn't matter that the Cowboys, Broncos, and Bucs played, it matters how Aikman, Elway, and Dilfer/King/Johnson played. 

Also you keep yapping about Young, Elway, and Warner and I had already listed them as players where the peak years overlapped. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Depends mostly on if you think Favre's peak ended in 99 or 04. But no, with most of those people the peaks didn't overlap or barely did. We're not talking about teams here, either, so it doesn't matter that the Cowboys, Broncos, and Bucs played, it matters how Aikman, Elway, and Dilfer/King/Johnson played. 

Also you keep yapping about Young, Elway, and Warner and I had already listed them as players where the peak years overlapped. 

Bretts first probowl was in 1992. His last was in 2009, which by the most important QB stat, ANY/A, was his best year in the league. One he arguably should have made to the superbowl. 

So his peak was about 17 years. And all those players had part of their peak in those 17 years.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:54 AM, Matts4313 said:

Your recency bias is showing. Favre played in the "Golden Era" of QBs; before the rule changes obviously  so the stats were not as gaudy.

Montana

Young

Marino

Aikman

Elway

Jim Kelly

Manning 1 and 2

Brady

Brees

Warner

Moon

McNabb

Bledsoe

MVP Culpepper and Gannon

Rivers

Ben

Romo

All guys who played at least 5-10 years against Favre.

Nah you’re just naming names. Lol by the time favre entered his prime(95) dudes like Montana Marino and Kelly were finished as mvp elite level guys. Aikman was done after like 96 too

the late 90’s early 00’s was a terrible era for QB play 

4 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Nah you’re just naming names. Lol by the time favre entered his prime(95) dudes like Montana Marino and Kelly were finished as mvp elite level guys. Aikman was done after like 96 too

the late 90’s early 00’s was a terrible era for QB play 

As I said. Those player were *ALL* either:

1. a probowler
  2. an all pro
  3. a league MVP
  4. made the superbowl
  5. won a superbowl
  6. Did all of the above

During Favres prime. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Bretts first probowl was in 1992. His last was in 2009, which by the most important QB stat, ANY/A, was his best year in the league. One he arguably should have made to the superbowl. 

So his peak was about 17 years. And all those players had part of their peak in those 17 years.

His time as a top level QB spanded 2 generations of QBs. The holy grail of the 90's and the super stats of the 2000's. 

19 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

As I said. Those player were *ALL* either:

1. a probowler
  2. an all pro
  3. a league MVP
  4. made the superbowl
  5. won a superbowl
  6. Did all of the above

During Favres prime. 

His time as a top level QB spanded 2 generations of QBs. The holy grail of the 90's and the super stats of the 2000's. 

Not all at the same time. Which is why you’re being disingenuous lol

Favre prime started in 94-95, those guys were done as mvp level guys by that point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Not all at the same time. Which is why you’re being disingenuous lol

Favre prime started in 94-95, those guys were done as mvp level guys by that point. 

Are you judging a QBs prime solely by MVPs? If so, lets agree to disagree because thats a dumb way of looking at it. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Are you judging a QBs prime solely by MVPs? If so, lets agree to disagree because thats a dumb way of looking at it. 

No MVPs are the best and only way to judge a QB. Brees sucks and Marino kind of sucks too. Favre is good as Brady. Even Matt Ryan, Rich Gannon, and Cam Newton are better than Brees and equal to Dan Marino because MVPs are the only thing that matters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

No MVPs are the best and only way to judge a QB. Brees sucks and Marino kind of sucks too. Favre is good as Brady. Even Matt Ryan, Rich Gannon, and Cam Newton are better than Brees and equal to Dan Marino because MVPs are the only thing that matters.

Favre must be the best though, because he was in the league when most of those cats won an MVP. Am I doing this right?