Looking at a projected 2021 salary cap of $175M-$185M is so depressing...

FAH1223

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You said for a Day 2 pick.  Would you trade for Preston Smith and give up a Day 2 pick?

Depends on what my team looked like for EDGE on the roster, cap space and contention.

I think a team like NE, MIA, a few others would do so.  

Just now, squire12 said:

Depends on what my team looked like for EDGE on the roster, cap space and contention.

I think a team like NE, MIA, a few others would do so.  

I really, really don't think they would.  Why would you give up a Day 2 pick for an EDGE who just had a 4 sack season?

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  There's already been talk that the Packers and Linsley's agent haven't had any extension talks yet.  There's always a chance that those discussions could happen, but right now they haven't.  The Packers drafted 3 IOL in last year's draft.  Only one of them was on the roster for the majority of the year.

I agree that Linsley is likely gone.     

GB key FA

King -- premium position,  but too inconsistent and injury history.   But no replacement in the waiting

Linsley -- less premium position specifically, but the OL unit is a major premium overall.  played great on this contract.  BUT.... 30 and 3rd contract with some mounting injuries.   Replacement option (Jenkins) on the roster.  

Jones -- non premium position and played really well and is dynamic.  replacement is on the roster.  Fundamentally, don't pay RB BIG $$

just such a crappy crossroads for 2021 FA group.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I really, really don't think they would.  Why would you give up a Day 2 pick for an EDGE who just had a 4 sack season?

you are looking for a player that also had a 12 sacks 2 years ago

If you are thinking he is on the decline based on those sack numbers from 2020, then you should be in favor of cutting him......which you are not.   So I am not sure which way you are trying to go with this.  

GB should keep an overpaid 3rd EDGE coming off a 4 sack season

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

you are looking for a player that also had a 12 sacks 2 years ago

If you are thinking he is on the decline based on those sack numbers from 2020, then you should be in favor of cutting him......which you are not.   So I am not sure which way you are trying to go with this.  

GB should keep an overpaid 3rd EDGE coming off a 4 sack season

If you exclude his 2019 sack total, he's averaged 6 sacks per season.  That's probably a pretty good estimation of his sack total.  The one thing that projects well is his QB hits over the previous 3 season before this one was an average of 20, and he had 11 last year.  So as long as a team uses him as a pass rusher, he's probably a safe bet to at least be a decent pass rusher.  But are you trading a Day 2 pick for a "decent" pass rusher?  As I mentioned elsewhere, Yannick Ngakoue was traded for a SRP and he has more value then Preston Smith does.

6 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I have a low understanding of the cap. How is KC able to keep everyone ? They have so many high contracts. 

They are over the cap in 2021 too. They'll have to make tough decisions. How tough depends on if cap is $175M or $195M..

16 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

How is the number determined? Is that something the NFLPA has any say in?

The salary cap is a percentage of revenues less a stadium credit.

However, with revenues expected to be down due to COVID, there will (hopefully) be a negotiation between the NFLPA and NFL to borrow against future cap $s to flatten it out this year.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This has been my argument as well. There is considerable reasons on both sides to not drop the cap. I don't see anyway the cap goes down.

My logic is if the NBA and NHL, two leagues with less revenue, are willing to do it, why wouldn't the NFL?

• Like 2