Do the 2020 Bucs pose a greater threat to KC than the 2019 49ers did?

dtait93

Do the ‘20 Bucs pose a greater threat to KC than ‘19 SF?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do the ‘20 Bucs pose a greater threat to KC than ‘19 SF?

• Yes
    • No

Brady is likely to provide much better QB play and these Bucs have a clearly superior offensive arsenal than last years 49ers. I also feel like this Buccaneer defense is pretty underrated finishing 8th in points allowed, 6th in y/p, 5th in turnovers, and 4th in sacks and just did a good job of containing GB and NO in back to back weeks - though they are not the monster that is Reid, Mahomes and co.

So what do you think? Do you give TB a better shot at beating KC than you did SF? 

Edited by dtait93

Fair question. I mean 49ers looked better than Bucs ever did, regular or postseason. They dominated the regular season, and then pretty comfortable reached the Super Bowl... where for a moment it looked like they would comfortably win the title. Now it does get a bit more interesting when we actually break each team down. The Ds are both stacked, it's a wash in my book. The gap between the 49ers rush offense and the Bucs rush offense is bigger than the gap between their pass offenses, however, passing is magnitudes more important than running the football... and all numbers aside, the Bucs have Tom Brady. Conversely, this Chiefs team is even better than last years, so while I might say the Bucs are ever so slightly the tougher opponent, I think the 49ers had a better chance of beating the 2019 Chiefs than the Bucs do the 2020 Chiefs, making the 49ers still the bigger threat.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

Here we go...

1. Cleveland is a bad matchup for KC

2. Bills are on fire and are the best team going in to the game

3. Tampa and Brady are unbeatable!

Just lay back and let it happen. Living in denial is toxic.

Edited by BigTrav

They concern me less. Maybe that's just the experience and the lower sense of desperation for the team to win one, on my part. But while the QB is better, the team as a whole is quite a bit worse, IMO, when comparing Tampa and San Fran. Tampa is streaky, far less consistent, and while their DL is still good, their overall play in the trenches is inferior to San Fran. I also think San Fran had better coaching, generally. I feel like we played our A game in the Superbowl last year, and still barely squeaked by. I feel like we need to screw some stuff up to lose to Tampa. But, I also thought Green Bay would be a much tougher opponent for us. Tampa is the matchup I wanted, aside from the fact that it carries the possibility of Brady winning again.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I wanna say yes?

I feel like SF didn't have as much offensive firepower as the Bucs do. SF also didn't have the luxury of both of KC's starting tackles potentially not playing.

Glad someone brought this up. Its not just about who is better between the Bucs and 9ers. Where KC is at also matters. Bosa took Fisher's lunch money all game, can you imagine what he would have done to some poor  back up? Shaq and JPP could be in for a huge impact here 

Depends on how many picks Brady throws. He’s been trying to throw picks for weeks now, and nobody can make him pay, but KC and that offense will do it.

In all honesty, I’d worry about my oline if I were KC.  A banged up oline against the Bucs is not a good thing be having.

9 hours ago, BigTrav said:

No. 

A better QB but 49ers with Shannahan were actually amazing. Plus 49ers had a better defense, IMO. It looked like 49ers were going to win - it won't ever look like Tampa are going to win.

I do not get why people talk like this.

I've been a NE fan for 15 years and in that time they had a 75% chance of winning any game they played, including the playoffs, and yet not once did I ever publicly predict a definite win, let alone be so smug about it. One of two things can happen, you win and you look like an arrogant gasbag boasting about something you literally contributed nothing to, or you lose and look like an idiot.

Maybe it's because I experienced the 2007 Superbowl when I was still young and impressionable, but nothing good ever comes from overconfidence, and there's literally no game ever you can definitely predict the result of.

EDIT: On topic, top to bottom the 49ers were probably a better team, and certainly better built to take down a high powered offense and keep them off the field. The D lines are comparable, but the 9ers secondary was better and their running game was infinitely stronger. That said you'd argue TB have the advantage in two or three areas - their WR corps is 10x better than SF, they have a QB who thrives under pressure, and though Shanahan might be better play designer offensive mind than Arians, Arians will not coach scared.

Edited by ChazStandard
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Glad someone brought this up. Its not just about who is better between the Bucs and 9ers. Where KC is at also matters. Bosa took Fisher's lunch money all game, can you imagine what he would have done to some poor  back up? Shaq and JPP could be in for a huge impact here 

And TAM's O has a far greater ceiling than a JimmyG-led O does. 

It's not that TAM is miles better than SF.   The D isn't on SF's level last year.  By DVOA they're only a -12% unit with the widest variance seen, whereas SF was at -20 percent, near generational.  And the eye test showed that.  But TAM's O is a 25+ percent unit, unlike SF's 8 percent unit - and the eye test shows that, too.

All of which would be far less important if KC had the top 5 OL they played last year being intact.  But it's nowhere close, and with Mahomes' limited mobility....it's all about the matchups.   A single bad matchup in one key trench area can swing entire game outcomes.    Just ask CAR-DEN bettors in 2015, or NYG-NE in 2011.  And while Mahomes is clearly the best QB by far, and enjoys a big edge on TB12 current version - this isn't even close to NYG-NE heading into the game, or even CAR-DEN in terms of paper mismatches (Cam ain't Mahomes, but TB12 current version and that O is miles ahead of the Peyton-corpse led O that to this day remains the worst ever O to be called SB champion). 

• Like 2