2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc

Trentwannabe

25 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Epenesa started to come into his own as the season went on I thought. Once he got a comfortable weight that the team liked. Hopefully he can maintain that and being in an NFL weight room for another off-season should help. Even if he plays to a similar level of Shaq in 2019 as a run defender with 5-8 sacks we'll be okay.

Sounds like Carl Lawson may be re-signing in Cincy. 

Keeping both Addison and Hughes I dont see them going with a light pass rusher so even if lawson doesnt re-sign I wouldnt expect them to bring him in anyways. I heard they may be interested at Denico Autry, him or Clowney (on a prove it deal) would make sense to be the filler on that side neither wow me but they are big bodied DE that they could use. Addison and hughes both in the 250-260 range they are going to need someone on the heavier side opposite to them.

With all these weird contracts QBs have been given out recently would you rather see Josh Allen get a deal that is a flat out extension of 4 years 160 mil and 120 of it guaranteed straight up eating 40 mil each year, or would you go the Dak route in which it taks on 2 extra years to absorb the guarantees but not be considered on the roster https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/, or go big and offer him an absurd contract similar to Mahomes in which its a 10 year deal where the last 6 is just fluff and wouldnt cost them a dime to let him go on after year 4. If you look at Mahomes actual deal https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/  you will see his cap hits are not really that bad until year 2027 at that time you can either redo the deal, let him walk, or keep him at the price. The cost may look ridiculous now but with the new tv rights the cap is likely going to sky rocket and the cost of qbs may exceed 50 mil per year in 2-3 years. So not only do you have him locked in long term you have the flexibility in which 1 year they need money they can turn it in to a signing bonus and poof it is spread out over several years. Just curious on what people would want for Allen. 

20 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

With all these weird contracts QBs have been given out recently would you rather see Josh Allen get a deal that is a flat out extension of 4 years 160 mil and 120 of it guaranteed straight up eating 40 mil each year, or would you go the Dak route in which it taks on 2 extra years to absorb the guarantees but not be considered on the roster https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/, or go big and offer him an absurd contract similar to Mahomes in which its a 10 year deal where the last 6 is just fluff and wouldnt cost them a dime to let him go on after year 4. If you look at Mahomes actual deal https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/  you will see his cap hits are not really that bad until year 2027 at that time you can either redo the deal, let him walk, or keep him at the price. The cost may look ridiculous now but with the new tv rights the cap is likely going to sky rocket and the cost of qbs may exceed 50 mil per year in 2-3 years. So not only do you have him locked in long term you have the flexibility in which 1 year they need money they can turn it in to a signing bonus and poof it is spread out over several years. Just curious on what people would want for Allen. 

At this point I blindly trust Beane and his staff to do a deal that is good for Josh and us. I would imagine whatever deal is done (especially if signed before the start of the season) has a few outs built into it. Ideally any new deal doesn't kick in until after his 5th year option season, similar to Tre White extension, giving us another season with a lower QB cap number. 

Anyone else think it’s interesting that Barkley has not been re-signed? Wonder if the Bills are looking elsewhere this off season. Some names that have a connection:

Jacoby Brissett: in NE in 2016 with Daboll

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Former Bill and close friend of Allen

Andy Dalton: this franchise will always be indebted to him. 

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Lawson being traded 1 year after signing a 3 year deal. That’s the second big name 2020 free agent signing the Dolphins have moved on from in less than a year.

Edit: 3rd big player. Forgot about the flop of Jordan Howard. 

Its amazing how people are giving this team credit but it seems they are a bit lost on figuring things out between these moves and how they dealt with Tua/Fitz it may be what holds them back to be a true contender but we will see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Anyone else think it’s interesting that Barkley has not been re-signed? Wonder if the Bills are looking elsewhere this off season. Some names that have a connection:

Jacoby Brissett: in NE in 2016 with Daboll

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Former Bill and close friend of Allen

Andy Dalton: this franchise will always be indebted to him. 

Im thinking we a rolling with Jake Fromm... Allen is becoming a vet so he doesnt need that mentor anymore. And i dont think we can afford a backup QB salary if we want to improve the team. Besides if Allen goes down we would be screwed either way 

10 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Im thinking we a rolling with Jake Fromm... Allen is becoming a vet so he doesnt need that mentor anymore. And i dont think we can afford a backup QB salary if we want to improve the team. Besides if Allen goes down we would be screwed either way 

Barf. Pretty sure Fromm only made the roster because of the new PS rules allowing us to keep Davis Webb there. By all accounts Fromm was horrific at camp.

Allen doesn’t need a veteran behind him but the Bills are significantly less screwed with a Dalton or even Trubisky then they are with Fromm. 

14 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Its amazing how people are giving this team credit but it seems they are a bit lost on figuring things out between these moves and how they dealt with Tua/Fitz it may be what holds them back to be a true contender but we will see.

Until they can groom their QB of the future into a franchise player- they're not a consistent threat. Tua doesn't scare me at all, but there's potential there, I suppose. Their defense is bound to regress this year, as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

How we looking cap wise after Feliciano signing ?

Well we were at 10.1 mil under cap before Feliciano. That is with every move that has come prior whether it is cuts, signings, or restructures. We will have to wait until the exact numbers come out. Like Trent said I expect more restructures and releases to him. Given that the 21st is when 7 key players get bonuses I assume it will be coming. Lee Smith is expect 1 mil of his 2.5 mil so likely he will be let go. Matakevich, hughes, klein, and a few more guys are on the list as they are several of those bonuses. Then you look at other possible big restructures in which Tre can take a signing bonus on and have around 7.5 mil cleared, Diggs can clear 8 mil on a restructure, Dawkins on a 5 mil. Granted all this would be turned in to signing bonuses in which will be given to them right away as it would be a nice incentive for them to sign but those funds would be hit over the length of their current contract so I doubt beane would be pushing for this as they know they got to get allens big deal in at some point. 

Spotrac has us just over $6 million. Which is basically our draft class.

I wouldn’t expect we hear anything over the next few days about us signing guys until you hear about some restructures or releases/retirements. 

Id like to come out of free agency with a good blocking TE and a veteran WR to compete for the 4th spot with Hodgins and potentially a rookie.