Jump to content

2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Edmunds, Klein and Milano are roster locks. Anything behind them is up fir grabs. Beane adding some vet competition to Smith, Dodson and Matakevich 

Fully expect another 5th round LB this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Edmunds, Klein and Milano are roster locks. Anything behind them is up fir grabs. Beane adding some vet competition to Smith, Dodson and Matakevich 

I am not 100% sure Klein is a lock, I think he is at 90-95% as they can clear some cap if they found his replacement early on. Even if he is on the roster this year we have to assume he is gone next year with both Milano and Edmunds getting paid a ton of money. Matakevich hangs around because of his ST presence and the only reason he is on the roster is for this. He played only 72 snaps on defense last year and was involved in 77% of ST snaps. Both Dodson and Smith played quite a bit on ST not nearly as Matakevich but Dodson played the most out of the 3 on Defense. I could see Smith/Dodson battling it out for a spot with the 2 new LBs. If it were down to defense I think Adams coverage ability is the best out of them all and will likely land a spot over Dodson and Smith. He played heavily on Texans defense and managed to be on the ST too. Will be interesting to watch. If some how Bama LB Moses is there in the 2nd rd I could see the bills looking at him hard as an option to select there. The ND LB Owusu is another option to look at pick 30 if some how he falls but I doubt it. I dont think these signings along with what we currently have wouldnt put us at a prime spot to land a LB early on in the draft. Keep in mind what McD had in Carolina were 3 solid LBs Shaq Thompson, Kuechly, and Thomas Davis I could see him seeking that this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling the bills will stick with the oline and LB corps for this year and will look to add CB2, Dline and a hybrid S/LB for those big TE, possibly TE and RB depending on who they are looking at in the draft. Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, and Williams will likely be our starters with Hart, Ike, Bates, Jamil, and Devey battling it out for 2-3 spots. Craven is coming off a late season Achilles injury so I would be surprised they sign him this early and not wait until he is fully healed. 

Having only 7 picks with only 3 in the top 150 isnt ideal. They need to make sure they land on player with those 1st 3 picks. Jury is still out on Moss and Espenesa from last years draft and we need to hope Beane hits on these with guys looking to get big time extensions with Edmunds, Allen, and likely Diggs

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone feel like doing a Mock Draft to pass the time until the draft?

If we get 6 of us everyone can rep a division (so whoever gets NFC South selects for TB, NO, ATL and Carolina) 

** Sorry this was meant for the Draft thread lol

Edited by BillsGuy82
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I have a feeling the bills will stick with the oline and LB corps for this year and will look to add CB2, Dline and a hybrid S/LB for those big TE, possibly TE and RB depending on who they are looking at in the draft. Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, and Williams will likely be our starters with Hart, Ike, Bates, Jamil, and Devey battling it out for 2-3 spots. Craven is coming off a late season Achilles injury so I would be surprised they sign him this early and not wait until he is fully healed. 

Having only 7 picks with only 3 in the top 150 isnt ideal. They need to make sure they land on player with those 1st 3 picks. Jury is still out on Moss and Espenesa from last years draft and we need to hope Beane hits on these with guys looking to get big time extensions with Edmunds, Allen, and likely Diggs

LB I can see but I’d be surprised and upset if we don’t add OL. OG is still some question marks and Morse is likely gone after the season.

Bills need to add some young blood to the unit, as well as some serious competition for the season IMO. Bills had 8-10 OL on the roster during the season so I’d like to see more than just Boettger, Devey and Bates as competitors in camp

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

LB I can see but I’d be surprised and upset if we don’t add OL. OG is still some question marks and Morse is likely gone after the season.

Bills need to add some young blood to the unit, as well as some serious competition for the season IMO. Bills had 8-10 OL on the roster during the season so I’d like to see more than just Boettger, Devey and Bates as competitors in camp

See i do not agree with Morse being gone next year. People toss players aside because they hit 29-30 and all of a sudden they are expendable. You have olineman going in to their late 30s still playing at a high rate. I think It depends on Morse health. He only missed 2 games in the 2 years he has been here. I do not see why they should cut him after the year is up if he plays a full season. He will be going in to his final year of his deal and I could see an extension being worked out where he gets more money and the cap is reduced. He can easily play for the bills for another 3+ years before calling it quits on him. Its just not something you can swap out easily I think morse has done a solid job as the Center and with the market only going up for this position I do not see why you would dump him as early as next year.

As for Guard's question marks you just paid Feliciano so I would be shocked they go back to back years paying then dumping someone. I think emergence of Ford at LG is what did Spain in and I do not see any rookie coming in and overtaking Feliciano's Job this year. While it would be nice to add depth I could see in the later rounds but not in the 1st 2 days of draft when we need to upgrade at other positions. Ideally I would like to see more then just a quarter of our interior group playing together as Morse went down when Feliciano came back and then Ford went down before Morse returned. So we never saw how well the interior played as injuries plagued that area last year.

Bills desperately need help along the dline, even with Star coming back this shouldnt be an automatic him upgrading the dline, having taken off a year and still struggled some in 2019 I am not solid on him being the anchor of that dline. Not to mention pass rush still a huge liability and both Addison and Hughes getting up there in age of 33-34 it is definitely something that needs to be looked at this year. Not to mention the CB2 spot is still a bit of an unknown we have yet to commit to Levi being the starter even though he has outperformed Gaines, and Norman as of recent with guys like Davis and Kevin Johnson coming in to compete and lose out. Dane Jackson is still a guy that needs to be more polished and I think he is a solid backup but do not see him shining at the #2 spot. Not to mention Taron Johnson is going in to his final year of his contract in which they will need to fill in the slot spot and he hasnt had much competition to beat out to say he is starter. 

Imo the top needs going in to the draft are DT, Edge, RB, TE, and CB2 in no particular order. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

See i do not agree with Morse being gone next year. People toss players aside because they hit 29-30 and all of a sudden they are expendable. You have olineman going in to their late 30s still playing at a high rate. I think It depends on Morse health. He only missed 2 games in the 2 years he has been here. I do not see why they should cut him after the year is up if he plays a full season. He will be going in to his final year of his deal and I could see an extension being worked out where he gets more money and the cap is reduced. He can easily play for the bills for another 3+ years before calling it quits on him. Its just not something you can swap out easily I think morse has done a solid job as the Center and with the market only going up for this position I do not see why you would dump him as early as next year.

As for Guard's question marks you just paid Feliciano so I would be shocked they go back to back years paying then dumping someone. I think emergence of Ford at LG is what did Spain in and I do not see any rookie coming in and overtaking Feliciano's Job this year. While it would be nice to add depth I could see in the later rounds but not in the 1st 2 days of draft when we need to upgrade at other positions. Ideally I would like to see more then just a quarter of our interior group playing together as Morse went down when Feliciano came back and then Ford went down before Morse returned. So we never saw how well the interior played as injuries plagued that area last year.

Bills desperately need help along the dline, even with Star coming back this shouldnt be an automatic him upgrading the dline, having taken off a year and still struggled some in 2019 I am not solid on him being the anchor of that dline. Not to mention pass rush still a huge liability and both Addison and Hughes getting up there in age of 33-34 it is definitely something that needs to be looked at this year. Not to mention the CB2 spot is still a bit of an unknown we have yet to commit to Levi being the starter even though he has outperformed Gaines, and Norman as of recent with guys like Davis and Kevin Johnson coming in to compete and lose out. Dane Jackson is still a guy that needs to be more polished and I think he is a solid backup but do not see him shining at the #2 spot. Not to mention Taron Johnson is going in to his final year of his contract in which they will need to fill in the slot spot and he hasnt had much competition to beat out to say he is starter. 

Imo the top needs going in to the draft are DT, Edge, RB, TE, and CB2 in no particular order. 

It has nothing to do with Morse age. He’s likely one concussion away from retiring. The Bills need a long term plan at the position. Feliciano contract is designed to move on after one year if they want to. Levi Wallace and our entire DL is still more proven then Ford as a starter. And I love Cody Ford.

I don’t really care if it’s addressed day 1 or not. But the Bills should definitely be looking to upgrade and have people for the future that aren’t injury concerns or expensive. 
 

I agree with your needs list but I’d take out the luxury of RB and add OL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

It has nothing to do with Morse age. He’s likely one concussion away from retiring. The Bills need a long term plan at the position. Feliciano contract is designed to move on after one year if they want to. Levi Wallace and our entire DL is still more proven then Ford as a starter. And I love Cody Ford.

I don’t really care if it’s addressed day 1 or not. But the Bills should definitely be looking to upgrade and have people for the future that aren’t injury concerns or expensive. 
 

I agree with your needs list but I’d take out the luxury of RB and add OL.

Morse was one concussion away when he signed with the bills. He had 1 concussion last year but that one thing shouldnt prevent them from not keeping him. Cause that could be said about any player with any injury. Planning for that scenario is crazy, I mean look at what happened before in which Eric Wood had to abruptly retire because of a neck injury after the 2017 season, you just cant plan for that. The good thing is Feliciano is versatile in which he can slide in to the center role if Morse does go down but I wouldnt let him go because of a potential risk of injury. Adding depth is not a bad way but I would spend it on a day 3 not a day 1 or 2, not to mention bringing in some guys via UDFA

I also do not agree that RB is a luxury. I think it is more then that. Our run game was awful last year and I do not see anything changing with the corps they currently have. Allen threw 572 times and rushed 100+ times you cant expect him to continue to do that as his career goes on not to mention the additional 40+ snaps because of 17 game seasons. You need to have balance and with singletary/moss there is no balance there, we were worst in designed runs by a rb in the league which says alot based on how bad the steelers were at the run game. I am sure we can blame the OL to an extent but Daboll completely went away from the run game quite a few times last year and to only rush for 15-18 times per game in the playoffs is pretty unsettling because its not a sign of balance and its a sign he doesnt trust the run game. Outside of Etienne Harris I do not see an upgrade so if both guys are off the board at 30 then yes you cut your losses at upgrading that position and focus on everything else. 

As for Ford I agree I do not have trust in him completely but he didnt give up any sacks before going down with injury. I think its pretty promising and Ike stepped in when needed to and helped out in that way too, as he also didnt give up a sack last year. I would like to see both compete for the LG spot whether a rookie is involved or not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Morse was one concussion away when he signed with the bills. He had 1 concussion last year but that one thing shouldnt prevent them from not keeping him. Cause that could be said about any player with any injury. Planning for that scenario is crazy, I mean look at what happened before in which Eric Wood had to abruptly retire because of a neck injury after the 2017 season, you just cant plan for that. The good thing is Feliciano is versatile in which he can slide in to the center role if Morse does go down but I wouldnt let him go because of a potential risk of injury. Adding depth is not a bad way but I would spend it on a day 3 not a day 1 or 2, not to mention bringing in some guys via UDFA

I also do not agree that RB is a luxury. I think it is more then that. Our run game was awful last year and I do not see anything changing with the corps they currently have. Allen threw 572 times and rushed 100+ times you cant expect him to continue to do that as his career goes on not to mention the additional 40+ snaps because of 17 game seasons. You need to have balance and with singletary/moss there is no balance there, we were worst in designed runs by a rb in the league which says alot based on how bad the steelers were at the run game. I am sure we can blame the OL to an extent but Daboll completely went away from the run game quite a few times last year and to only rush for 15-18 times per game in the playoffs is pretty unsettling because its not a sign of balance and its a sign he doesnt trust the run game. Outside of Etienne Harris I do not see an upgrade so if both guys are off the board at 30 then yes you cut your losses at upgrading that position and focus on everything else. 

As for Ford I agree I do not have trust in him completely but he didnt give up any sacks before going down with injury. I think its pretty promising and Ike stepped in when needed to and helped out in that way too, as he also didnt give up a sack last year. I would like to see both compete for the LG spot whether a rookie is involved or not. 

I don’t think Morse and Wood are comparable. One was virtually a freak career ending injury and the other is a history of concussions. It may not even be the Bills moving on from him but rather him choosing to retire. There are a lot of variables there and planning accordingly isn’t that hard. Having a future C on the roster to grow with Josh for the next decade is extremely important. Devey and Feliciano aren’t those guys.
 

I know fans like Feliciano because he’s best friends with Josh and has a mean streak, but he is was an absolute liability in the playoffs and upgrading him with a guy like Wyatt Davis or Landon Dickerson makes sense to me. It’s not an absolute must, but I value protecting Josh and improving the run game in one move more than I do a RB. That’s why I’m also on board for an early pick at WR with Sanders being a one year guy and Beasley turning 32 this Month. Bills need 4 very good WRs and in 2022 I’d say they’re only currently guaranteed 1 but hopefully 3. 
 

Like you said, Harris and Etienne are the only upgrades. Anyone after that would be such a waste. Moss showed power, vision and receiving ability. I think IOL shuffling and scheme contributed to his lack of numbers (as well as injury). Singletary is replaceable and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him traded in August if Breida looks good and either Williams or an UDFA/Wade 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...