2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc

Trentwannabe

JJ Watt is being mentioned by quite a few media/bloggers as a great landing spot in Buffalo. Was wondering what people's opinions are of signing him? I do not want him because if they trade then they are stuck on a 1 year 17.5 mil deal or you extend him at age 32 that is injury prone is something I am not looking forward to seeing on top of giving up a draft pick. If he is cut then some team will be looking to pay him more and it is then him deciding on whether he wants more money or wants to chase a ring but replacing our DE's that are 33 and overpaid to give him a contract is something I do not want and think if they are going to put money in to a DE it should be a younger guy who is in their long term plan not a 1-2 year deal that is at the tail end of their career.

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I really dont get this move unless he is injured. having a camp body who knows the system at a super cheap price with CB needing to be a need this year makes no sense to me. 

Josh Norman is a FA, Taron Johnson going on his last year, Levi Wallace RFA, Dane Jackson, and Tre white....I figured with Josh Norman being a FA they can let him go as he wasn't anything special and is a liability at times while retaining Gaines on the 1 year 825k deal would be smart. 

Some of these head scratches with Beane some time I just dont get and this is one of them.

It could be a combination of things. Injury history, age, maybe they got word he would sit out again if opt outs happen. Gaines was never going to play like he did in 2017 so I'm not too worried about it. I suspect they go CB on Day 1 or 2 in the draft.

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

JJ Watt is being mentioned by quite a few media/bloggers as a great landing spot in Buffalo. Was wondering what people's opinions are of signing him? I do not want him because if they trade then they are stuck on a 1 year 17.5 mil deal or you extend him at age 32 that is injury prone is something I am not looking forward to seeing on top of giving up a draft pick. If he is cut then some team will be looking to pay him more and it is then him deciding on whether he wants more money or wants to chase a ring but replacing our DE's that are 33 and overpaid to give him a contract is something I do not want and think if they are going to put money in to a DE it should be a younger guy who is in their long term plan not a 1-2 year deal that is at the tail end of their career.

Only way I would do a trade is if he agrees to a contract extension to lower his cap hit or a complete renegotiation for this season. I wouldn't offer more than a 5th though, using Calias Campbell as a measuring stick. 

5 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Only way I would do a trade is if he agrees to a contract extension to lower his cap hit or a complete renegotiation for this season. I wouldn't offer more than a 5th though, using Calias Campbell as a measuring stick. 

None of JJ's salary is guaranteed, all base salary. The Texans cap number is near $200 mil. I feel like they might just be happy to unload his contract rather than trying to hold out for a low round pick.

Either way, I hope we are in a place now where players will want to play with both the Bills and Josh Allen now.

I would actually be all in for Vets on 1/2 year deals while we can. After Allen gets his extension, we wont be able to be that flexible, we'll have to draft the high money positions (WR, CB, DE, OT) and hope rookies progress on their first contract. Let's go for a Clowney, Watt, any vet looking to potentially ring chase.

10 hours ago, Maxmw22 said:

None of JJ's salary is guaranteed, all base salary. The Texans cap number is near $200 mil. I feel like they might just be happy to unload his contract rather than trying to hold out for a low round pick.

Either way, I hope we are in a place now where players will want to play with both the Bills and Josh Allen now.

I would actually be all in for Vets on 1/2 year deals while we can. After Allen gets his extension, we wont be able to be that flexible, we'll have to draft the high money positions (WR, CB, DE, OT) and hope rookies progress on their first contract. Let's go for a Clowney, Watt, any vet looking to potentially ring chase.

Watt may be chasing a ring but you have to think he is going to want a hefty deal that is what addison got last year as a team in place to win now may be able to offer that. If you cant land a guy like Dupree and you are willing to move on from Jefferson, Butler, Addison, and either let Hughes go or restructure his deal then I guess that is the back up option to go with but it shouldn't be a primary spot for Beane. A young guy who can be on a longer deal may be more beneficial to pay before Allen comes in as you can front load it in the next 2 years while Allen and Edmunds deals kick in on year 3 of the young pass rushers deal where there is flexibility then. So it can work both ways as those 2 have 2 more years under rookie deal before the extension has to be put in play. Bills both put in the 5th year option on Allen and Edmunds so their extension will essentially start in 2023 where numbers will be going up at that time.

I do want to go on the record saying that I think a savvy signing could be RB Marlon Mack. I think the consensus might be that people don't see him as an improvement over what we currently have. I do think that with the emergence of JT and Hines as a good pass catching back in Indy. I think signing Mack could be one of those under the radar signings that would really pay off.

21 hours ago, Maxmw22 said:

I do want to go on the record saying that I think a savvy signing could be RB Marlon Mack. I think the consensus might be that people don't see him as an improvement over what we currently have. I do think that with the emergence of JT and Hines as a good pass catching back in Indy. I think signing Mack could be one of those under the radar signings that would really pay off.

I wouldn’t hate Mack. Is he a home run threat though? Because that’s what I think the Bills need. Someone who can turn that 5 yard run into a 50 yard TD in a blink of an eye. I’m confident that a healthy Moss and improvements from the OL will help the Bills run game immensely in 2021.

38 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Not official yet but:

I think he was a roster bubble as it would clear $2 mil. While he stepped up this year in 2019 he was one of the most penalized players in the league. I think the TE corps needs to be redone and wouldn't be upset from moving on from him whether he retires or not. If he does retire we recoup an extra 250k. To me smith is 1 of the 10 roster bubble candidates for cap relief. 

23 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think he was a roster bubble as it would clear $2 mil. While he stepped up this year in 2019 he was one of the most penalized players in the league. I think the TE corps needs to be redone and wouldn't be upset from moving on from him whether he retires or not. If he does retire we recoup an extra 250k. To me smith is 1 of the 10 roster bubble candidates for cap relief. 

Yeah I imagine he sees the writing on the wall as it is. I won’t be upset if Knox is the only familiar face in the room next season. If the cap is at $185 I’m hoping Beane uses some of that extra money on a premier TE or at least a major upgrade. 

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Yeah I imagine he sees the writing on the wall as it is. I won’t be upset if Knox is the only familiar face in the room next season. If the cap is at $185 I’m hoping Beane uses some of that extra money on a premier TE or at least a major upgrade. 

Who would be considered an upgrade in Fa or potential trade? We know guys like Kelce and Kittle are not going to be available in any capacity. I think Hunter Henry (who is my #1 FA target) would be ideal but outside of that you got Ertz, OJ Howard, Njoku as possibilities and even then are they upgrades over Knox?

I think Gilliam, and Sweeney stick on for depth and hopefully a guy like Henry is the target. Smith and Kroft are likely gone and I would be completely fine with that. I think Kroft, Smith, and Murphy should have been roster cap cuts last offseason. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Who would be considered an upgrade in Fa or potential trade? We know guys like Kelce and Kittle are not going to be available in any capacity. I think Hunter Henry (who is my #1 FA target) would be ideal but outside of that you got Ertz, OJ Howard, Njoku as possibilities and even then are they upgrades over Knox?

I think Gilliam, and Sweeney stick on for depth and hopefully a guy like Henry is the target. Smith and Kroft are likely gone and I would be completely fine with that. I think Kroft, Smith, and Murphy should have been roster cap cuts last offseason. 

Henry or Jonnu Smith should be FA targets for the Bills. 

On 2/5/2021 at 3:19 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Henry or Jonnu Smith should be FA targets for the Bills. 

You guys (@soflbillsfan too) really want to spend 10+ per year on a TE who has issues staying healthy? I think that money is better spent elsewhere. 

Believe me, I want to upgrade on Knox too ... but I don't think we should be considering Henry at the price he'll command. His destination is likely either back in LAC or with a team with cap space to blow. We're not in a position to do that imo, seems like a luxury signing we can't afford anymore. Rumors have him linked to WAS. 

Jonnu Smith I'm open to, as he'll definitely command a different, more reasonable asking price.

My top target would be Brandon Scherff (All-Pro this year). Ironic, I complained about Henry's injury issues–he comes with some too. Spotrac has his contract market value (spotrac as my reference here) is basically equal to Henry. For the same or similar money, that's who I'd prefer. We saw firsthand last night and two weeks ago with our own team how important the trenches are. OL is in need of the most work this offseason with the guys hitting free agency. 

Just dreaming a little here, our line next year with a key addition like this immediately impacts the run game.

Dawkins - Feliciano/Ford - Morse - Scherff - UFA/Re-sign Daryl Williams 

Alternatively, I'm also cool with drafting the top guard prospect with our first, Wyatt Davis. He's a monster and would make a huge impact on our run game. 

TL;DR version, I don't think TE should be a priority in free agency. Addressing the OL and DL is key this offseason. 

Edited by Nick

37 minutes ago, Nick said:

You guys (@soflbillsfan too) really want to spend 10+ per year on a TE who has issues staying healthy? I think that money is better spent elsewhere. 

Believe me, I want to upgrade on Knox too ... but I don't think we should be considering Henry at the price he'll command. His destination is likely either back in LAC or with a team with cap space to blow. We're not in a position to do that imo, seems like a luxury signing we can't afford anymore. Rumors have him linked to WAS. 

Jonnu Smith I'm open to, as he'll definitely command a different, more reasonable asking price.

My top target would be Brandon Scherff (All-Pro this year). Ironic, I complained about Henry's injury issues–he comes with some too. Spotrac has his contract market value (spotrac as my reference here) is basically equal to Henry. For the same or similar money, that's who I'd prefer. We saw firsthand last night and two weeks ago with our own team how important the trenches are. OL is in need of the most work this offseason with the guys hitting free agency. 

Just dreaming a little here, our line next year with a key addition like this immediately impacts the run game.

Dawkins - Feliciano/Ford - Morse - Scherff - UFA/Re-sign Daryl Williams 

Alternatively, I'm also cool with drafting the top guard prospect with our first, Wyatt Davis. He's a monster and would make a huge impact on our run game. 

TL;DR version, I don't think TE should be a priority in free agency. Addressing the OL and DL is key this offseason. 

I dont think it is necessary to pay Feliciano and Schreff, Ford is expected back on the oline to start next year. One thing we didnt have all year was the interior healthy if you think Feliciano is the guy then re-sign him and have ford morse and feliciano as your interior. Paying both Feliciano and Scherff on top of Williams is not happening as they already have a ton invested in morse and dawkins. Paying a 3rd is possible but not 5. Williams and feliciano will likely command around 8 mil each a year while schreff will be looking at 10+ per year. Just not in the deck to go all in on 5 lineman making around 8+ mil per year. 

Before last night I thought TE was the top need but it is pass rusher, problem is they cost a lot and I am tired of trying to go after these guys who are at the tail end of their career or bargain hunting just so they can rotate in hopes of tiring the offenses out. All that did was involve the bills blitz heavy this year. Bills need to invest in a young premier pass rusher and get the consistency of the front 4 putting pressure on qbs without having to blitz. Star coming back will be the space eater but Butler and Jefferson arent worth what they are getting. I would keep Jefferson on a restructure for depth but Butler is and always has been overrated. He hasn't proven to be any good. Addison is going to be 34 just dont see why it is beneficial to keep him.

As for TE that is still an important upgrade and Hunter henry had 2 injuries which may be of risk but same can be said about anyone you pay 8-10 mil at that position. The thing is when he is healthy is well worth the money and another threat to opposing defense something the bills do not have and havent had since Jay Riemersma. Outside of a torn ACL and a fracture in his other knee he has been healthy neither are nagging injuries and he is back to normal. I dont see how that should impact the bills looking at him. Bills need to look at that position as well as the RB. Look at the 4 teams in the championship games the two lacking talents on the offense were TE and RB. Our WR corps competed with what was out there but the run game and te game were lacking big time and those need to be upgrade. Ill take that over paying 2 guards. I am good with Jonnu Smith being a plan b and I am good with making a day 2/3 trade for Oj Howard or Njoku at this point Knox isnt the answer and I do not see Howard playing out this year especially when they want Gronk back and Brate just got paid a year ago. Howard is on his last year of his deal and would be looking for an extension, he is due 6 mil and they could easily see how he plays this year with the bills before committing long term to him. With the potential release of John Brown I think the bills can afford to pay a te some money with the 9.5 mil brown will be clearing for them to be put back in to the offense. 

I think you got to just go BPA with pick 30, if its olineman that is there or if its dlineman or if its Rb you just got to roll with it. Heck if Freiermuth is there at 30 you got to look at him too. Any position that can make an impact on day 1 is what matters so I dont care who it is as long as it is the right move and they are starting week 1

Texans said they will grant Watts release out of respect to his franchise contribution.

Everyone keeps suggesting Pittsburgh to play with his brother but I think he could be a reality for us. He fits our culture like a glove and will have a chance or 2 on a SB run. 

I dont think money is gonna drive his decision whatsoever so we could fit him in