2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc

Trentwannabe

6 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I like the depth and 3 of our starters. Have big hopes for Ford and reservations about Feliciano. 

Far cry from 2018.

I try to explain this to Bengals fans around me and what we did in 2019 when it comes to Joe Burrow.

It's easy, sign 7 UFA OL and draft one in the 2nd rd. Some of them have to pan out. Cast a wide net.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:46 AM, Trentwannabe said:

I like the depth and 3 of our starters. Have big hopes for Ford and reservations about Feliciano. 

Far cry from 2018.

What are your reservations about feliciano? Is it the run blocking because his pass protection was fairly on point with him not allowing any sacks last year and only had 1-2 penalties the entire season. His versatility to step in at Center is pretty solid too. 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

What are your reservations about feliciano? Is it the run blocking because his pass protection was fairly on point with him not allowing any sacks last year and only had 1-2 penalties the entire season. His versatility to step in at Center is pretty solid too. 

I think he is a fine player. Very good depth with his versatility across the interior. 

But to me he is a fringe starter who can be upgraded. With Allen as a QB, sack numbers for OL mean little to me. That was used favourable for Spain last year and look how his career has gone since. 

If Feliciano is starting day 1 I won’t be mad. But it also won’t bother me to see us grab a Guard as early as round 1.

So browns sign Clowney to a 1 year up to 10 mil deal (8 guaranteed). I wish the Bills pulled the trigger even with injuries he is an upgrade to what Addison is in which we are paying 8+ mil for this year. Could have easily moved on from him and found a way to pay clowney. Going in to the draft without an answer to the pass rusher still has me nervous and landing the 4-6th best pass rusher in the draft is tier 2/3 you cant count on him being an immediate impact to this team in which we are looking to win now. 

Edited by soflbillsfan

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

So browns sign Clowney to a 1 year up to 10 mil deal (8 guaranteed). I wish the Bills pulled the trigger even with injuries he is an upgrade to what Addison is in which we are paying 8+ mil for this year. Could have easily moved on from him and found a way to pay clowney. Going in to the draft without an answer to the pass rusher still has me nervous and landing the 4-6th best pass rusher in the draft is tier 2/3 you cant count on him being an immediate impact to this team in which we are looking to win now. 

I think he’ll have a good year being on the opposite side of Myles Garrett but I don’t think he would have changed anything for us. I wouldn’t have paid him that much. 

Addison had more sacks last year then Clowney has in the last two. He’s always been overrated.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think he’ll have a good year being on the opposite side of Myles Garrett but I don’t think he would have changed anything for us. I wouldn’t have paid him that much. 

Addison had more sacks last year then Clowney has in the last two. He’s always been overrated.

The sack thing I am not a big fan of to dictate whether they are a good pass rusher based on that stat is overrated. The thing I like about him is the double teams he pulls in allowing guys like Oliver to be freed up and his ability to stop the run. He may not wow on sacks but he is a well rounded edge player the bills havent really had since Mario Williams left. We know what Addison can do and its not a threat in any way at least with Clowney we would have shot exploring what he is capable of doing in this defense and to see if he can be a long term guy over someone who is 33 years old and at the end of his career. For the same price I would go for the risk in Clowney for the potential.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

The sack thing I am not a big fan of to dictate whether they are a good pass rusher based on that stat is overrated. The thing I like about him is the double teams he pulls in allowing guys like Oliver to be freed up and his ability to stop the run. He may not wow on sacks but he is a well rounded edge player the bills havent really had since Mario Williams left. We know what Addison can do and its not a threat in any way at least with Clowney we would have shot exploring what he is capable of doing in this defense and to see if he can be a long term guy over someone who is 33 years old and at the end of his career. For the same price I would go for the risk in Clowney for the potential.

Sacks aren’t the only story but 3 in the last two years means he is not very good. No matter what way you slice it. 

He isn’t some Mario Williams level player. 4th team in 4 years and once again settling for a short term prove it deal. He isn’t a long term guy here. 

No Seahawk or Titans fan was sad to see him go. That should tell you something. He’ll spend more time injured them playing. 

15 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Sacks aren’t the only story but 3 in the last two years means he is not very good. No matter what way you slice it. 

He isn’t some Mario Williams level player. 4th team in 4 years and once again settling for a short term prove it deal. He isn’t a long term guy here. 

No Seahawk or Titans fan was sad to see him go. That should tell you something. He’ll spend more time injured them playing. 

No I am not comparing him to Mario Williams I am just saying we havent had a guy like that since him, not saying clowney would be that guy in anyway but it would be a risk worth taking over our current situation. I think clowney not landing a long term deal is due to the fact of his constant injury history. He had options to go back to Seattle on a deal and he declined it thinking he would get more else where. As for the texans I do not consider them a reason to want to be there but it is interesting the Titans didnt go for him considering the need. Realistically do you see a pass rusher that can come in at pick 30 to be impactful right away to make the Bills a better team in 2021 compared to 2020? Pass rushers have one of the highest bust/flop rate at the position in the league coming out of college, and most need time to develop except for the few that are drafted top 5-10. With us being at pick 30 I see this position a challenge and that is why I wish we went for a guy like Clowney just to take the risk as it would allow our rookies time to develop more. We are pretty much stuck with bad pass rushing core going in to the season as of right now and I think it is going to involve a ton more blitzes like last year to make up for the lack of pressure on the qb and stopping the run game because of the lack of production by the front 4. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

No I am not comparing him to Mario Williams I am just saying we havent had a guy like that since him, not saying clowney would be that guy in anyway but it would be a risk worth taking over our current situation. I think clowney not landing a long term deal is due to the fact of his constant injury history. He had options to go back to Seattle on a deal and he declined it thinking he would get more else where. As for the texans I do not consider them a reason to want to be there but it is interesting the Titans didnt go for him considering the need. Realistically do you see a pass rusher that can come in at pick 30 to be impactful right away to make the Bills a better team in 2021 compared to 2020? Pass rushers have one of the highest bust/flop rate at the position in the league coming out of college, and most need time to develop except for the few that are drafted top 5-10. With us being at pick 30 I see this position a challenge and that is why I wish we went for a guy like Clowney just to take the risk as it would allow our rookies time to develop more. We are pretty much stuck with bad pass rushing core going in to the season as of right now and I think it is going to involve a ton more blitzes like last year to make up for the lack of pressure on the qb and stopping the run game because of the lack of production by the front 4. 

No I don’t see a pass rusher at 30. I think it would be a waste. Unless they identify a guy they think can be a Bosa or Young, two guys who didn’t get double digits in year 1, I think grabbing a pass rusher in rounds 3-5 makes more sense. 

I’m much happier going with the floor of Addison who knows the system over a player who has injury concerns, and there is floor is being a bust of a signing. 

I think they are correctly banking on a jump from Epenesa in year 2 and having a better 4th option then Murphy or Johnson provided last year in Obada or a rookie. 

I think the Bills will look to improve the interior to help with the pass rush. Getting better play from the 1T spot will allow Oliver to flourish and Butler to stay at his natural spot where he had 6 sacks in 2019

Raiders released Maurice Hurst DT and Arden Key DE yesterday. I liked Hurst but the downfall with him was the heart condition which seem to not impact him while with the Raiders. I wouldnt mind bringing either or both in to camp and see what they can do. Both are young and will be cheap. More options to figure out along the dline. Hurst is definitely on top of the list over key

Sheldon Richardson was cut by the Browns wonder if he would be an option? I know they have oliver and butler but maybe for the right price he latches on this year for a prove it to another team in the future. With this move it also brings out that Cleveland may look to go DT in the 1st rd and this will be one of the teams looking at barmore in the draft