2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc

Trentwannabe

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Wonder what they have in mind by clearing that much space kicking the can down the road isnt usually a good thing and not the norm for Buffalo so they have to be clearing this space for a particular player? Is it the wild fandom craze of Julio, or is it they view Ertz as a potential upgrade to TE that Beane said he would like to do this offseason, or is it to bring in a Corner like Nelson or Sherman? This move is definitely intriguing on the day that people usually get move on post june 1.

I think with Diggs because he’s clearly he for the long haul and a new contract was always likely next offseason anyway, the restructuring won’t matter. You’re right though, not typically Beanes M.O

I’m thinking it’s a DT or CB upgrade. 

45 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think with Diggs because he’s clearly he for the long haul and a new contract was always likely next offseason anyway, the restructuring won’t matter. You’re right though, not typically Beanes M.O

I’m thinking it’s a DT or CB upgrade. 

Wouldnt be shocked if it is ertz, being 30 and coming off injury isnt ideal but having 75+ reception 5 of the last 6 years is something that can benefit Allen by having another weapon who is a veteran at the position. 

21 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Wouldnt be shocked if it is ertz, being 30 and coming off injury isnt ideal but having 75+ reception 5 of the last 6 years is something that can benefit Allen by having another weapon who is a veteran at the position. 

I’m probably alone on this but I don’t want Ertz. I’m sure he would add a safer floor as a 3rd down option but that’s about it.

He isn’t a guy who break tackles or stretches the field. He’s also not seen as a good blocker. Bills passed to their WR on like 70% of attempts and they’re 5 deep there at least. I don’t think Ertz should be taking away targets from those guys. 

10 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Reasons for the Diggs restructure:

1.) Ertz/Julio trade

2.) Josh Allen extension

3.) CB2 (Sherman maybe)

I'll bet anything one of the 3 happen. You don't free up money like that without intention on spending it.

Hoping the Allen extension 

6 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I’m probably alone on this but I don’t want Ertz. I’m sure he would add a safer floor as a 3rd down option but that’s about it.

He isn’t a guy who break tackles or stretches the field. He’s also not seen as a good blocker. Bills passed to their WR on like 70% of attempts and they’re 5 deep there at least. I don’t think Ertz should be taking away targets from those guys. 

Yes they passed on alot to their wr's simply because they couldnt trust knox last year. Two things if you notice our offense as it went through out the season were the run game was phased out and so was the TE. WR set is all and good but lets look at this for a minute:
Stefon Diggs contested the most passes last year at 6 ft
Cole Beasley stretches the middle of the field at 5'8
Emmanuel Sanders will take on the outside role opposite to Diggs at 5'11
Gabriel Davis will be rotating in with Sanders or be the 4th guy in 4 wr sets and is set to be our tallest threat at 6'2
Isiah Hodgins was out last year and was a 6th rd pick so it is unpredictable as to what he can do for us but is 6'3

Dawson Knox has shown what he can and cannot, some want to see how he progresses in year 3 but honestly we cannot wait/hope for him to progress on taking the next step as we are set to win now. 

Getting Ertz a 6'5 250 pound TE it will allow us to add wrinkles in to the offense in 3 wr sets as well as rely on a red zone target. To me I dont see him commanding a lot and the idea of taking away targets isnt something that should be viewed as a negative. Allen threw for over 570 times last year and will likely hit the 600 mark with the addition of another game in regular season. You should view him as an additional reliable target and not a negative way where he is going to take from something. As for blocking we have other TE who can block and could be used in 2 TE sets or him on the sideline in those situations. 

To me having a reliable TE who can make a play for a few yards or contest a ball or is the threat in the red zone can make all the difference to this offense. Beane made it clear he wanted to upgrade the TE position and he has yet to do that. 

10 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Reasons for the Diggs restructure:

1.) Ertz/Julio trade

2.) Josh Allen extension

3.) CB2 (Sherman maybe)

I'll bet anything one of the 3 happen. You don't free up money like that without intention on spending it.

Julio to me is out of the question, you have diggs going on back to back years at 17.2 mil the next 2 years who will likely get an extension next offseason to reduce the cap hits but Julio already said he wants a new contract. His cap hit is already 15, 11, and 11 for the next 3 years, if he wants a new deal expectations are going to be wanting 13+ mil a year with more guarantees. Plus giving up what seems to be alot even if it is the 2nd rd pick that is another high paying veteran in which we do not have a high draft pick to balance it out. To me this is a fantasy football/madden type trade and isnt realistic with what the bills are doing.

Ertz I can see as the cost to trade him likely will be a day 3 pick and beane said he would like to upgrade the TE position this offseason in which he has yet to do so this could be something that can benefit us.

Josh Allen Extension shouldnt be in play for the restructure unless they plan on giving him signing bonus money in to his contract this year. Increasing Diggs future cap hits by reducing it now is just the same situation they could have used that money that wasnt a set cap at the time and reworked it at the time instead of now. I honestly want Allen here long term but seeing all these other guys like Wentz, Goff, Bortles, Tannehill getting what they got on their 2nd contracts after being picked top 10 and only having 1 good rookie season is worrisome. Ideally I would love to see what Allen can do in back to back years and throw him a deal at which Mahomes got if he produces the same as this year. While he got a 10 year deal his guarantees were only set for 3 years and now 4 after a bit of restructuring. It has him locked in long term and keeps him in the 40 mil range up until his last 2 years. With the expectations of him being the long term answer in KC they do not have to worry about 3rd contract deals until he is in his late 30s and the cap is going up significantly every year moving forward so qb deals are going to be in the 50+ mil range per year in the next 3-4 years so having him locked in allows long term flexibility not only for that but also for restructuring purposes giving him signing guarantees to reduce his cap in year 5 if they need the cap space. I prefer this for Allen as it puts him in as a lifer in Buffalo, dont have the pressure of getting him resigned in 4 years and it allows the bills to know what they have cap wise for the next decade in their qb to be flexible and move things around if need be.

CB2 to me is a popular choice, I can see Sherman or Nelson being in competition for the #2 spot I just dont know if the bills will be able to compete for their services as a team like the Jets or Niners may show more interest in Sherman and 8 teams are said to be in the race for Nelson.

1tech DT to me is something that should be discussed more as an option but I am not sure of any one out there that can be an immediate impact day 1 as I am concerned with Star and he has no true competition on the roster as of right now.

Supposedly the rumor is the bills are trading for Ertz dont know how real this is as it is low level reporting and the big reporters or local reporters from Buffalo have yet to drop it. Its on philly's side reporting it. With Beane and co so quiet this could be possible but we will see. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:08 AM, soflbillsfan said:

Yes they passed on alot to their wr's simply because they couldnt trust knox last year. Two things if you notice our offense as it went through out the season were the run game was phased out and so was the TE. WR set is all and good but lets look at this for a minute:
Stefon Diggs contested the most passes last year at 6 ft
Cole Beasley stretches the middle of the field at 5'8
Emmanuel Sanders will take on the outside role opposite to Diggs at 5'11
Gabriel Davis will be rotating in with Sanders or be the 4th guy in 4 wr sets and is set to be our tallest threat at 6'2
Isiah Hodgins was out last year and was a 6th rd pick so it is unpredictable as to what he can do for us but is 6'3

Dawson Knox has shown what he can and cannot, some want to see how he progresses in year 3 but honestly we cannot wait/hope for him to progress on taking the next step as we are set to win now. 

Getting Ertz a 6'5 250 pound TE it will allow us to add wrinkles in to the offense in 3 wr sets as well as rely on a red zone target. To me I dont see him commanding a lot and the idea of taking away targets isnt something that should be viewed as a negative. Allen threw for over 570 times last year and will likely hit the 600 mark with the addition of another game in regular season. You should view him as an additional reliable target and not a negative way where he is going to take from something. As for blocking we have other TE who can block and could be used in 2 TE sets or him on the sideline in those situations. 

To me having a reliable TE who can make a play for a few yards or contest a ball or is the threat in the red zone can make all the difference to this offense. Beane made it clear he wanted to upgrade the TE position and he has yet to do that. 

I suggest watching some All 22 if you can. Knox was open a lot more than his targets suggest. Daboll didn’t design the offense because he doesn’t trust him, he designed it to Allen and the teams strengths. Which is 3 and 4 WR sets.

Is Ertz coming in to completely replace Knox as a starter? If so, fine. I don’t see it as an upgrade to the team overall or moving the needle for a 13-3 team. But if they want a veteran starting then sure.

But if he’s coming in to add more two TE sets than I’m really against it. That’s where the targets from Diggs, Beasley, Davis and Sanders start to go down which is A terrible idea. It also doesn’t play Allen strengths as Ertz isn’t a guy who gets open with speed. 

I don’t buy the Bills or any team needing size for the red zone. A good play caller schemes guys open and Daboll has shown that time and time again.  

I won’t be mad if they trade for Ertz (baring it’s no more than a 5th) but I have a hard time seeing or believing how he upgrades the team or gets us any closer to a SB. This team runs through Allen and Diggs. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I suggest watching some All 22 if you can. Knox was open a lot more than his targets suggest. Daboll didn’t design the offense because he doesn’t trust him, he designed it to Allen and the teams strengths. Which is 3 and 4 WR sets.

Is Ertz coming in to completely replace Knox as a starter? If so, fine. I don’t see it as an upgrade to the team overall or moving the needle for a 13-3 team. But if they want a veteran starting then sure.

But if he’s coming in to add more two TE sets than I’m really against it. That’s where the targets from Diggs, Beasley, Davis and Sanders start to go down which is A terrible idea. It also doesn’t play Allen strengths as Ertz isn’t a guy who gets open with speed. 

I don’t buy the Bills or any team needing size for the red zone. A good play caller schemes guys open and Daboll has shown that time and time again.  

I won’t be mad if they trade for Ertz (baring it’s no more than a 5th) but I have a hard time seeing or believing how he upgrades the team or gets us any closer to a SB. This team runs through Allen and Diggs. 

I dont get that argument about taking targets away from the wr. How is it a bad thing if Ertz came in and got some of those targets? He is now one more weapon and option for Allen which is a good thing. We cant ride or die on Diggs all the time and there were games in which beasley was seeing no action (5 games last year in which he saw 5 or less targets). Yes, Davis still has room to grow but isnt a sure fire, and sanders is a 1 year and done. he is 34 years old we have no idea how much is left in his tank for him to be it, he is on that edge where 1 year he can produce #2 stats the next year he can be nonexistent because of his body is more likely to break down. So really the only guy you can consistently count on is diggs and teams have had a year to prep for him and they will likely offer more double coverages like he had later in the season and schemes to shut him down.

Knox is inconsistent and still needs time to develop which is why even if he was open allen didnt trust throwing to him cause he drops simple passes at times. Which is why he was phased out of the game plan as weeks went on cause of his inconsistency. with Ertz having 5 of the last 6 years of getting 75+ receptions that is a guy you can count on. Last year eagles offense was atrocious between oline injuries, wentz, and coaching, I am not going to say ertz is declining because of one off year that can be said about any player who was in a bad spot, you cant deny that 2018 and 2019 he had a total of 2k yards and 14 td, still at 30 years old he has a few more years in him in which can give more time for knox to develop and when it comes to extension time if they see enough in knox they can pay him and let ertz walk. This option allows to relieve the pressure of knox having to be the guy when he is still developing and we get a vet weapon to help out right now, Bills would greatly benefit off of his experience of being reliable on catching the ball. We ranked 26th in Te corps last year I think getting a veteran who has been ranked top 10 (6 of the last 7 years) is definitely worth taking a day 3 pick on. 1 more receiving option for Allen I dont see how that is a bad thing.

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

dont get that argument about taking targets away from the wr. How is it a bad thing if Ertz came in and got some of those targets? He is now one more weapon and option for Allen which is a good thing. We cant ride or die on Diggs all the time and there were games in which beasley was seeing no action (5 games last year in which he saw 5 or less targets). Yes, Davis still has room to grow but isnt a sure fire, and sanders is a 1 year and done. he is 34 years old we have no idea how much is left in his tank for him to be it, he is on that edge where 1 year he can produce #2 stats the next year he can be nonexistent because of his body is more likely to break down. So really the only guy you can consistently count on is diggs and teams have had a year to prep for him and they will likely offer more double coverages like he had later in the season and schemes to shut him down.

Because Ertz is not as good as those WRs and doesn’t offer what the offense is missing in a true deep threat. Why would I want to throw to Ertz who won’t offer any YAC and wont be as open as Diggs, Beasley, Sanders would be unless schemes that way? Ertz would also be a one year rental like Sanders is. Ertz had more drops last year than Knox did lol. Like I said, if Ertz comes in and replaces Knox as a starter, fine I guess. The 40 targets can go there. But if he comes in and we see more double TE and Ertz is getting 30-50 targets on top of Knox 30, that’s a mistake IMO.

And yes we absolutely can ride or die with Diggs because that’s what a true number 1 WR does for a team. Diggs best games came later in the season when teams were supposedly double teaming him and had more film on him.  Not sure what your point is here. Diggs will get his 130+ targets.

edit: forgot to add thats Ertz getting all those targets and receptions is because he and Goedert were the only weapons in that eagles offense. They were completely void of WR talent. 

21 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Because Ertz is not as good as those WRs and doesn’t offer what the offense is missing in a true deep threat. Why would I want to throw to Ertz who won’t offer any YAC and wont be as open as Diggs, Beasley, Sanders would be unless schemes that way? Ertz would also be a one year rental like Sanders is. Ertz had more drops last year than Knox did lol. Like I said, if Ertz comes in and replaces Knox as a starter, fine I guess. The 40 targets can go there. But if he comes in and we see more double TE and Ertz is getting 30-50 targets on top of Knox 30, that’s a mistake IMO.

And yes we absolutely can ride or die with Diggs because that’s what a true number 1 WR does for a team. Diggs best games came later in the season when teams were supposedly double teaming him and had more film on him.  Not sure what your point is here. Diggs will get his 130+ targets.

edit: forgot to add thats Ertz getting all those targets and receptions is because he and Goedert were the only weapons in that eagles offense. They were completely void of WR talent. 

He had twice as many balls thrown his way then knox did so your trying to argue one stat over the next when it comes to drops. Ertz is getting a new deal no matter where he goes no one is going to give up a pick just for a 1 year rental at 8.5 mil, a restructure likely a 2-3 year deal is going to happen.

My main concern is not the YAC its the redzone, we were only at a 61% when it came to scoring touchdowns having him there could easily increase that with taking guys like Sanders and/or Beasley out and running with 2 TE sets with Knox and Ertz while guys like Diggs and Davis are on the outside. Even if his YAC isnt good he is still averaging 10+ yards a catch. Knox still has time to grow he was raw coming in to the NFL and still hasnt got it down, having ertz step in right away and allow Knox to get more polished is the way to go. Another weapon in the redzone game is where we can better one of the weaker aspects of the offense to get to the superbowl. The two things they struggled on offense last year was run game and red zone touchdown percentage. I think Ertz can be a guy to get that aspect up to where he can be someone to count on in the redzone and that is why it would be beneficial to trade for him. I dont need Ertz to get 75 receptions I dont even need him to get 50 I just need him to get to where the bills can get him the ball in the redzone and arent settling for a fg when they have an extra option to get the touchdown. What good is a day 3 pick in 2022 going to do for the bills  while going on a superbowl run in 2021? Window is to win now and having a boost at te can be the extra step to get there. 

On 6/4/2021 at 3:22 PM, soflbillsfan said:

He had twice as many balls thrown his way then knox did so your trying to argue one stat over the next when it comes to drops. Ertz is getting a new deal no matter where he goes no one is going to give up a pick just for a 1 year rental at 8.5 mil, a restructure likely a 2-3 year deal is going to happen.

Ertz: Targets 72, catches 36, drops 5 (6.9%), 1 TD

Knox: Targets 44, catches 24, drops 3 (6.8%), 3 TD

One was 2nd on their team in targets and the other was 5th. Knox had the better catch percentage and not as bad of a drop percentage. The Bills were 3rd in the league in scoring so forgive me if I don't buy that we need a redzone threat just because they were ranked 12th in the league in that area last season.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:22 PM, soflbillsfan said:

What good is a day 3 pick in 2022 going to do for the bills  while going on a superbowl run in 2021? Window is to win now and having a boost at te can be the extra step to get there

Not in this offense. Bills aren't going to alter their identity because of Zach Ertz. Nor should they.