2021 Off-Season Talk: Coaches, free agents, extensions etc

Trentwannabe

10 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Texans said they will grant Watts release out of respect to his franchise contribution.

Everyone keeps suggesting Pittsburgh to play with his brother but I think he could be a reality for us. He fits our culture like a glove and will have a chance or 2 on a SB run. 

I dont think money is gonna drive his decision whatsoever so we could fit him in

As I mentioned before what benefit is it to add another pass rusher on the tail end of his career? We have hughes that is going to be 33 and Addison that is going to be 34, watt is going to be 32 years old. In the last 5 years he has only had 2 healthy seasons. He has had 1 good year in the last 5. To me his asking price is going to be around what Addison/Hughes are getting which is 10 mil a year, we arent the only ones that would be willing to get his services, as teams like LV, Niners, Browns, Dolphins all can be willing to put an offer in so I much rather invest the money in a younger pass rusher who hasnt lost a step and can get quick off the line to rush the passer.

13 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

What's John Browns trade value? I think we could fetch a 3rd round pick. I'd be ok dealing him for a mid round pick to free up cap room and give us draft equity to work with.

At his price tag and age I expect more of a 5th if they even look to trade him. With limited offseasons and covid protocols outside of big time players I think it will be hard to push the trade market but hopefully we can get something out of it if Beane does move on from him.

8 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Or i wish Pitt would decide to blow it up and trade TJ. We need a pass rush. #1 priority should be edge rusher. We need it soooo badly. That’s the only way we can even think about contending with KC...as proven on Sunday. 

Najee Harris also I’d be good with at 30tbh

We can get his counterpart in Bud Dupree I know he is coming off an injury but he is still young and a beast when healthy. I would definitely take the risk on him to replace Addison and Butler (with their cap). Matthew Judon is another option, I dont see how the ravens can afford to pay both Judon and Yannick. With both coming off of the Franchise tag it would be costly to re-tag them not to mention how annoyed they would be with the tag again. Another under the radar guy who i think could be a new up and coming impact is Carl Lawson I dont think he would cost as much as Dupree and Judon. 

11 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

As I mentioned before what benefit is it to add another pass rusher on the tail end of his career? We have hughes that is going to be 33 and Addison that is going to be 34, watt is going to be 32 years old. In the last 5 years he has only had 2 healthy seasons. He has had 1 good year in the last 5. To me his asking price is going to be around what Addison/Hughes are getting which is 10 mil a year, we arent the only ones that would be willing to get his services, as teams like LV, Niners, Browns, Dolphins all can be willing to put an offer in so I much rather invest the money in a younger pass rusher who hasnt lost a step and can get quick off the line to rush the passer.

Because Watt is more disruptive than Hughes and had double more TFL last season while being double teamed. You need pressure to beat Mahomes and KC is the measuring stick. 

Well be seeing alot of KC over the next few years 

I wish.. I think were a stud pass rusher away. Epenesa isnt the answer either 

I believe we are more then a pass rusher away. We have no true answer to the run stop and I am hoping Star will be the answer if he comes back this year. The IDT is not that aggressive and has been worked at times. LB is also meh, outside of Edmunds you have milano who will likely hit fa and even if they re-sign him you have to hope he doesnt get injured as he has only really played 1 full season thus far of his career. Klein isnt ideal while he set up on some blitzes he gets worked in coverage and gets punked by rbs on the edge. Then you have to look on the offensive side of the ball with the lack of run game and the actual threat of a TE. As nice as it would be to say we are a pass rusher away realistically we have more issues then just that. Epenesa definitely needs to put the weight back on, having him trim that much caused him to be pushed around, if we want him back on the LDE he needs to be back in the 275-280 range.

Because Watt is more disruptive than Hughes and had double more TFL last season while being double teamed. You need pressure to beat Mahomes and KC is the measuring stick. 

Well be seeing alot of KC over the next few years 

Watt may be an answer this year if he stays healthy but overall its not a long term solution, he hasn't played in a 4-3 system in years and hes LDE material, he may get double teamed early on in the season but teams will adjust and realize he is no longer that big of a threat as he once was. His cost will likely be in the 10-12 mil range and we will get him to get 5-6 sacks. I just think its time to move on from the pass rushers on the other side of 30 and go all in on a younger guy who still has the quickness and is in the prime of his career, guy who is around 24-28 years old is something we can count on in 4-5 years.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 10:07 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

What's John Browns trade value? I think we could fetch a 3rd round pick. I'd be ok dealing him for a mid round pick to free up cap room and give us draft equity to work with.

Probably a 6th. His age, contract and the low cap around thE league make him hard to move. 

Ideally we can restructure him. I’m hoping we just take his 9mil and split it in half and add a year to his contract. 

8 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I believe we are more then a pass rusher away. We have no true answer to the run stop and I am hoping Star will be the answer if he comes back this year. The IDT is not that aggressive and has been worked at times. LB is also meh, outside of Edmunds you have milano who will likely hit fa and even if they re-sign him you have to hope he doesnt get injured as he has only really played 1 full season thus far of his career. Klein isnt ideal while he set up on some blitzes he gets worked in coverage and gets punked by rbs on the edge. Then you have to look on the offensive side of the ball with the lack of run game and the actual threat of a TE. As nice as it would be to say we are a pass rusher away realistically we have more issues then just that. Epenesa definitely needs to put the weight back on, having him trim that much caused him to be pushed around, if we want him back on the LDE he needs to be back in the 275-280 range.

Watt may be an answer this year if he stays healthy but overall its not a long term solution, he hasn't played in a 4-3 system in years and hes LDE material, he may get double teamed early on in the season but teams will adjust and realize he is no longer that big of a threat as he once was. His cost will likely be in the 10-12 mil range and we will get him to get 5-6 sacks. I just think its time to move on from the pass rushers on the other side of 30 and go all in on a younger guy who still has the quickness and is in the prime of his career, guy who is around 24-28 years old is something we can count on in 4-5 years.

I agree with a lot of this. The Bills were one the better pressure teams but it came from exotic blitzes and other looks. QBs get the ball out so quick now that even a great pass rusher isn’t always a difference maker.

Better IDL play will help Edmunds and the other LBs stop the run.

Offensively the Bills need to be more creative with how they run the ball and get better play from the OGs. 

4 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I agree with a lot of this. The Bills were one the better pressure teams but it came from exotic blitzes and other looks. QBs get the ball out so quick now that even a great pass rusher isn’t always a difference maker.

Better IDL play will help Edmunds and the other LBs stop the run.

Offensively the Bills need to be more creative with how they run the ball and get better play from the OGs. 

I think you are to lenient on the runningbacks. I just dont see Singletary being the answer and moss is a solid #2. Singletary is elusive and is able to break the one on one tackles but he is to slow to hit the hole while it is open and when it closes up he hits a wall and falls to the ground. He is also to small to run people over in order to get through the line. Yeldon and Antonio Williams with the limited reps they showed that speed helped getting through or around the trenches by hitting the hole. They need the quickness like that in order to get the run game going. I honestly would be looking to upgrade the RB and put Singletary on the block while having Moss and Williams backing up your new RB. Oline was 4th in pass protection and dropped when it came against the run, it all depends on what scheme and type of player you are looking to have at the oline, unless you have elite guards your likely not going to get a balanced oline. If bills let Daryl Williams and Feliciano go and willing to pay Thurney, while pushing Ford back to RG that would be a better way of upgrading the run protection as well as the pass protection but the cost may be to high for the bills to look at.